1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] USMNT friendlies & beginning of WC 2014 Qualifying

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, May 25, 2012.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My quick thoughts...

Gooch is done...internationally, at least. He had no business being out there and was simply horrible. Constantly out of position. Constantly gave the ball away. Terrible marking. No where to be found on set plays. Other than that, he was fine. Send him back to his club and let Goodson and Cameron battle it out for that spot.

Fabian Johnson might finally be the answer at left back. Outstanding runs forward. Set up that goal after a masterful pass from Bradley. Almost set up the other had Dempsey got on the end of the ball played through Gomez.

I liked what Gomez brought to the table. A little too much playing for the long ball, however. He could have done better to help the mids get out of trouble.

Bradley is just getting better by the day. Strange to say, but maybe his dad was holding him back somehow.

Donovan, Edu, and Jones were not good enough tonight. Too many giveaways and too quick to go backwards instead of pushing the ball.

Dempsey looked good but it was clear he wasn't quite in game shape. Hopefully he can get more minutes against Canada and be ready to go for the qualifiers.

Not a good result that got off to a bad start with a bulls*** call. Brazil is Brazil. Neymar and Marcelo are very talented players...and punks. US has to do better, though, against these teams.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

3. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Great post. I agree 100%.

4. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Some very good thoughts. I agree about Gooch.. he's just not very good right now and hopefully can round into form down the line.

I love Fabian Johnson but I think he's a much better left winger than left back. He looked a bit shaky a times on defense, especially in the first half. I wish Tim Chandler would get his head together so that we could push Johnson forward. Also, Cherundolo (and in fact our whole defense) looked slow as well. Put Lichaj in his place and find the best two you can at center back. I'm thinking Dolo and Boca won't bring enough quality for the next WC.

Once Holden and Dempsey get back into form, they could be dangerous.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Scary thought that the whole backline will have to be replaced for Brazil! Johnson-Goodson-Cameron-Lichaj?

It's good that the depth up front is starting to take form. Getting Deuce and Stu back would be a welcome addition for Jürgen and the style of play he wants to implement.

6. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

United States Mutant Ninja Turtles?

7. leroy

I don't think there's any room for Johnson in the midfield. You have to find spots for Dempsey, Donovan, Edu, Torres, Bradley, Jones, (apparently) Beckerman, and Holden (once healthy). There's no where for him to get minutes as long as Dempsey and Donovan are going to likely eat up the 2 outside spots. I can't blame anyone for being a bit shaky against Brazil. Given time, I think he is the permanent solution at left back for the US. I'd prefer not to see Chandler back there any time soon. I feel better about Castillo than Chandler.

I still like what Cherundolo brings. He's solid defensively and moves up the field well. I wish he was a better crosser. If he's missing anything (other than being 2' tall), it's that.

I'll be curious to see the roster against Canada. I'd expect to see Wondolowski, Corona, Castillo, Parkhurst, and Dempsey get significant minutes. Wondo and Parkhurst haven't seen the field, yet. Maybe Guzan or Rimando get the start, too. Then again, if you can't use those players against Antigua and Barbuda AND expect to win easily, I'm not sure what they're even doing out there.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ What about El Pato Howard? :confused: What do you think about him? Poor guy, no one listens to him, and he ends up getting shot cold-blooded without D.

Don't forget, that was NOT Brasil's A team, this was their OLYMPICS team. I'm wondering if they're going to do the same to Mexico. I don't think so.

Anyway, this team needs another Charlie Davies. :eek:

9. leroy

Howard probably could have done better (maybe come out on the goal scored off the corner) but ultimately was left high and dry by his defender's shoddy marking.

Besides actual World Cup games, when does Brazil travel with their full squad? There's always someone held back. I'm pretty sure any team with the Brazil crest on it's shirt is going to be pretty competitive. They could bring their Z team and still be better than most of the world. Oh, and if you actually watched the telecast, the announcers mentioned more than once that Brazil is going hard after this gold medal. It's the one honor they don't have. That was not a weak team.

10. SwoLy-D

Why do you say "and if you actually watched"? I saw it in Spanish and the commentators did mention the missing Olympic Gold Medal from Brasil's display case. I was wondering if peeps here were aware that their young core is a potent one, again. :eek:

11. ths balla

ths balla Member

what happened to jonathan spector really liked his game on defense

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

will holland style will return against canada? maybe, maybe no.

13. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

Because of comments like these:

Part complisult, part explainabrag.

Troll.

14. leroy

It was yet another one of your backhanded comments putting down the US team...and part of the reason I actually have you on ignore. Unfortunately for me, I'm currently doing a s***ty job of actually ignoring your jackassery.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

yea SwoLy was definitely trolling. I was just pointing out how stupid DD sounded after the scotland game. but that is normal for DD.

DD needs to learn not to get too high or too low after losses. describing usa as hollandish after scotland was ridiculous statement and for that he should be ridiculed endlessly :D

16. SwoLy-D

The comment was to compare a similar opponent to both our North American powerhouses in an even format, nothing less. Take it however you want. Can't stand the heat...
    Let them eat cake. :eek:

17. leroy

Canadia tonight @ 6 on NBC Sports Network. The game marks the beginning of the centennial celebration for the CSA. It's also likely a game where the players in camp that haven't gotten a shot finally get on the field.

Maybe a little payback for the Olympic qualifying loss is in order, too.

18. 713

713 Member

Don't think I have the NBC Sports Network channel to watch the game :(

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Who is your cable or satellite provider?

20. 713

713 Member

AT&T Uverse