1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] US vs Spain & 2011 Gold Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Jun 1, 2011.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This Saturday @ 3:30 central, the USMNT takes on the current world champs in a warm-up match before the 2011 CONCACAF Gold Cup begins.

The 23 man US roster is below

U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION

GOALKEEPERS (3): Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS (8): Carlos Bocanegra (Saint-Etienne), Jonathan Bornstein (UANL Tigres), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Clarence Goodson (Brondby), Eric Lichaj (Leeds), Oguchi Onyewu (FC Twente), Tim Ream (New York Red Bulls), Jonathan Spector (West Ham United)

MIDFIELDERS (9): Freddy Adu (Rizespor), Michael Bradley (Aston Villa), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Maurice Edu (Rangers), Benny Feilhaber (New England Revolution), Jermaine Jones (Blackburn Rovers), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew)

FORWARDS (3): Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Jozy Altidore (Bursaspor), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

(Not listed:Alejandro Bedoya who was called in this week due to Feilhaber's ankle injury. He's not on the official roster as they're not sure if the injury will keep Benny out of action. Roster isn't due until 24 hours prior to first Gold Cup game)

US Gold Cup Schedule
    Date Opponent Kickoff (ET) Venue
    June 7 Canada 8 p.m. Ford Field; Detroit, Mich.
    June 11 Panama 8 p.m. Raymond James Stadium; Tampa, Fla.
    June 14 Guadeloupe 9 p.m. LIVESTRONG Sporting Park; Kansas City, Kan.

All games in English will be on FSC.
    Univision, Telefutura, and Galavision will broadcast in Spanish.

Both semifinals will be played in Houston on 6/22.

Personally, I'm disappointed in the roster. Is that the same Freddy Adu that's currently playing in the Turkish 2nd division? Robbie Rogers? Chris Wondolowski is really the best 3rd option at forward? Is the talent pool really that shallow? Or is Bob Bradley too afraid to go with unknowns. Where's Torres or Herculez Gomes or Charlie Davies? Does Bornstein have sordid pictures of Bradley or something? How many times does he get to f*** up in the back before they'll quit including him? I'd love to get back to the Confederations Cup in 2013 but they're going to have a hard time getting through mexico or some of the other better teams in the region if they plan to win this tournament. There's a small piece of me that hopes we fail to get out of the first round and Bradley finally gets canned. I know...that's horrible...but I just don't see how this team can improve any more under his leadership.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

3-1 Spain. :eek:

Good showing by the USMNT, but no Feilhaber will mean the midfield is depleted. Spain will run circles with their B team around the U.S. defense, but a quick strike from Robbie "El Pistolero" (LOL @ Pablo's nickname for him :grin:) Rogers will get a score.

3. rawool

rawool Member

I'm traveling to Dallas and Chicago for Mexico's group-play matches the next two weekends, as well as the semi-finals in Houston. I'm excited!

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Relax bros it's just a friendly.

It will give the USA players a chance to get some autographs and exchange jerseys with the little star on them.

5. leroy

Get some autographs from a team they beat? :p

I don't expect a win on Saturday but it would be fun.

I'm expecting a starting lineup of:

Howard​

Cherundolo​
    Onyewu & Bocanegra​
    Bornstein​

Dempsey​
    Bradley & Edu​
    Donovan​

Altidore & Agudelo​

Though I'd rather see Goodson in the middle and Boca on the left...and Bornstein shipped back to mexico.

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Got my Tix for the Finals at the Rose Bowl. Never been to a live soccer match before so I am pumped.

My friend is Mexican so we are certainly hoping for the US-Mexico finale. My luck, I am going to get Canada and Costa Rica

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I think for most games, or at least the ones we have to win, Bocanegra will be starting on the left. In the World Cup he only got moved into the middle after it became obvious that Onyewu wasn't up to the job.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Fixed. If Onyewu was 100% I really think you guys could have made it passed Ghana...

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You want Bornstein out there????:confused::eek: (JK, he's been decent as of late but I'm still not a fan of him as a starting left back on the international level).

10. ferrari77

But Feilhaber isn't exactly an integral part of the US team and odds are he wouldn't have started even if he weren't injured? Plus they only replaced Feilhaber with another midfield(Bedoya) who's in better form than almost every other US midfielder picked for the roster ahead of him.
    Now the loss of Stu Holden's a tough one because apart from Donovan he delivers the best set pieces on the team.

11. leroy

You apparently missed this...

12. leroy

Feilhaber is the closest thing to depth. If Bedoya's presence is based solely on Benny's health, then we're screwed when they have to go to the bench. I really don't want to see Adu or Rogers out there. Jones is likely slated to back up Edu. They should have both Bedoya and Feilhaber available and let Rogers or Adu go home. Neither should be on this roster.

13. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

when i see USMNT, my brain interprets it as United States Mutant Ninja Turtles...

Adu is not really going to be getting much meaningful minutes anyhow. i wonder what halted his development when he went over to europe..

14. leroy

Playing in the MLS at age 14. I hate to say that but he should have never done it. He should have been playing in the youth programs in Europe when offered the chance. He could have learned what it meant to be a professional and they would have helped him hone his skills. He was on a path to stardom had he been trained properly in football and how to be a true professional. Now, he's 21 and playing in the 2nd division in Turkey on a loan for a team that wants nothing to do with him. If anything, I believe he'd be much better served to come home and play in the MLS...assuming someone would want him.

15. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Ya the American soccer development system has been a mixed bag. Some of the young American players who come up through the MLS do great, e.g. Landon Donovan and Tim Howard. Some end up like Edu.

16. ferrari77

I disagree that his best option would be to come back to MLS. Before going to Rize I would have agreed with that statement but if a team like Rize can afford to take on his wages or he brings down his wages to play for a competitive team in the 1st or 2nd division in a country like Turkey or Portugal, I feel that would still be a solid option for him. Playing time (which guys like MBradley jr aren't getting right now(I still say as I did at the time that his loan to Aston Villa was a terrible decision). If Benfica cut ties with Freddy then I think he'll still be well served by signing on with a lower 1st or a 2nd division team elsewhere in Europe where he gets a chance to attain the most important thing, playing time.

17. ferrari77

It appears his presence is mainly based on Bennys health because like a number of other players a la Hercules Gomez, Bob B isn't crazy peachy keen on him. An objective coach imho would have selected Bedoya before Feilhaber for this roster and way before Rogers who shouldn't even be sniffing this roster.
    I know Donovan and Dempsey can be used up top but I'm getting more and more astounded every time I see Jozy called up and Herculez, Edson or Charlie Davies being left off the team sheet.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

what channel on U-Verse u200?

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ I don't know if with "200" you get all of these (that's what SHE said), but: ESPN is 602... Univision is 10 and Telefutura is 15, GalavisiĆ³n is 3003 (not HD). Add 1000 to each for their HD counterpart. :cool:

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Adu sucks. Dudes already 29.