1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] US To Bid For 2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by halfbreed, Feb 19, 2007.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

So if it is just about the US being Ethnocentric, why do they teach it that way everywhere else but Latin America and a few other parts of the world? Why do Chinese and Japanese and Zimbabweans and Russians and Fijians learn that the two are separate?

I think it's more about latin americans and primarily iberians being ethnocentric and lumping their colonial discoveries together in order to enforce colonial claims.

2. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I would love to see a game at Reliant Stadium. I went to the Barcelona/America game, and that place was crazy. A World Cup match would be unbelievable.

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

If you learned the 7 continent version in Mexico but North and South America were 1 continent what are the other 6?

And again, FIFA doesn't care about continents, they care about their confederations, and to them there are 2 distinct federations in the Americas.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Reason # 58948362 why I love clutchfans...a soccer thread that morphs into a geography thread...

5. TechLabor

TechLabor Contributing Member

I think if US win the bid, US is very likely to win the world cup because US soccer is improving fast.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Err... I meant 5, DrLudicrous...Antartica, Australia y Ocaenia, Africa, America, Europa. :eek:
    Back whence WC 1994 was here, they asked Astrodome Officials for a certain amount of time to host games... they didn't budge... Astros were playing, but groundskeeper said they wouldn't have enough time for grass to be ready for a game. As you would expect, most of us Mexicans and soccer entusiasts stopped going to Astros' games. :mad:

I just remembered. I think it would be a slim chance, but probable. Astros DON'T PLAY in Reliant, and nobody plays there during JUNE. We would NOT get a FINAL GAME, though. Too small. :(

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. MLS has improved but it's still nowhere near European soccer leagues. USA soccer still has a ways to go to even sniff at the possibility of winning.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Asia = Desaparecido

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Too small my ass, 72,000 is what they can put in there. 74,000 was what the stadium in Berlin held last year. Not to metion many other stadiums were much much smaller.

Will Reliant get it? Maybe maybe not but it certainly is large enough.

10. DrLudicrous

If we hosted it in 2018 it would be possible, not likely, but possible. A lot of it would depend on who we had to go through but I would say a top 4 finish wouldn't be too surprising.

If you just look at the changes since 90 it's pretty drastic. And MLS has made a huge difference in the quality of our national team in the past 11 years, give it 11 more and it should show even more results.

11. DrLudicrous

Relient would likely get some earlier games, but the final would be in LA or New York. The Coliseum in LA holds 92K and can probably fit more in. Why would they want to loose a possible 20K fans for the final? Of course it's also possible that there would be a new stadium by that time in NY or LA which would also hold close to 100K.

And a lot of the stadiums in Germany were smaller, around 40K, which is around the minimum to host a World Cup game.

12. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

The thing is after the 1994 WC FIFA said one of the stipulations for the US getting to host the WC again is that the stadiums were soccer specific stadiums NOT NFL stadiums. They're very picky when it comes to things like that.

13. SwoLy-D

The Coliseum has a TRACK... no way I'd pay to see a game in a stadium like that. :(

It will be the ROSE BOWL again @ 100K. No stadium in the USA holds a candle MaracanĂ¡. Azteca comes close.

14. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

The U.S. will probably never get soccer specific stadiums that can seat more than 40k. So it'll have to be in an NFL stadium. I don't think they'll mind once they see how much money they can make. I think Dallas' future stadium will be able to hold 100,000.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I new place in Arlington will hold up to 100,000. I believe the new Meadowlands stadium will be around 80,000. By 2018, there will most certainly be more new stadiums that will hold a larger amount of people and be able to host these games.

Swoly, you're sorely mistaken if you think FIFA doesn't want another WC here again. While I think Mexico could pull it off, there would certianly be more time, effort, and money to get things where they would need to be...whereas in the US, the stadiums, the hotels, the training grounds, the transportation infrastructure are there ready to go. The US is the best case scenario. If things were to go to a vote today, the US would have a tough time winning over many countries who don't really care for us. Things should be a little different by the time the decision is made in 2012.

16. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Gee I'm sorry, but did you just totally ignore the mention of CONCACAF and CONMEBOL, and even the disappearance of Asia? ;)

17. SwoLy-D

No. I said, yes, I did miss it in my "7 continents" mistake. Asia was left out. That was my mistake. Still, I think the Australian zone needs a chance. Sorry, no stadiums in Antarctica yet. :eek:

Like I said at the beginning, US won't host it until the 2020's... it just wouldn't be fair. Still, don't get me wrong... I'd LOVE to go to a game here in the 'States.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Fair? What does fair have to do with it? If it was fair, England would have had it again by now. Instead, they're looking at nearly 60 years between them at best (1966-2022?). Mexico had it twice in 16 years. What exactly is fair about that? Brazil deserves it in 2014. The US deserves it in 2018 (24 years between Cups).

19. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Messi is going to be 30 by then... :(

20. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Swoly-D, be lucky there they're not lumping Mexico with Central America as was the case prior to NAFTA.

And maybe in D.F. they're still using the old Spainsh Cortez maps but in Argentina/Chile/Bolivia/Paraguay (El cono sur) they teach it as two seperate continents.

Their only problem is when Yankees designate themsleves as "Americans."