1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Soccer rules!!!!!! Baseball sucks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by AroundTheWorld, Sep 15, 2000.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I didn't respond because I didn't know what you were talking about. Now I remember what you mean, you are talking about the 1990 World Cup Final and it wasn't Klinsmann, it was Rudi Voeller. It's true that it was not a foul, but 5 minutes before that, there was a clear foul in the penalty zone against a German player named Augenthaler and the referee had not called it. I think he called the next one because he knew that he messed up on the one before...that happens sometimes, that refs do that...I guess in the NBA as well. Jordan complains he had been fouled, next possession, they call a foul on the player who guarded him. Besides, that 1990 win was more than deserved. Argentina was a joke. They did not have one single chance in the whole game and were completely dominated. Maradona hardly touched the ball and some of the Argentina players brutally fouled whenever they had a chance...two of their players were sent off. That final was not a great game.

It's usually entertaining to watch games like Argentina-Uruguay during the World Cup because you know that there will be fights and at least three red cards [​IMG].

2. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

I agree that the structure of football teams is in need of change. Real Madrid has debts of over $300 million, yet were allowed to buy Luis Figo for a world record deal. I agree that things need to be evened out, though. It's rare when we see a team like Sunderland go to the top of the league.

I don't necessarily want another Champions League. I think two such competitions are enough. However, it's funny how the issue of teams not being evenly matched comes up now. In Holland, teams such as Ajax, Feyenoord, and PSV has always dominated the domestic league. It's nothing new. I guess people are getting tired of the lack of competitiveness for some reason. Perhaps the salary structures in other sports have affected this? I'm not sure whether this problem can be fixed in the short run. The Champions league is as competitive as it's going to get. IT happens once a year and there are quite a few games to watch, so I'm not complaining about the lack of competition. I guess you want it to be taking place in the domestic leagues as well. I'm not sure if this is a realistic goal, even if it might be a good one to have.

I seem to have misunderstood your stance on soccer in general. I thought you were one who simply did not care for soccer and gave arguments that apply to other sports as well. Sorry.

As far as the penalty arguments, I'm not sure how we could change this. It's the rule of soccer, and must be accepted if you are to be a fan. Otherwise, we could go into the issue of using video replays for questionable calls. The offside machine has already been developed and has been successfully tested, by the way.

Det,

While I see your point on that particular game, there's no way we can argue that questionable calls have led side to win unfairly and underservingly. A flaw in the game? Perhaps.

Yes, I am Dutch. Hold the passport, speak the language, etc. I do have some Chinese and Peruvian in me, though.
    I was so happy to see him win that one. Truly amazing. I think he tied a world record. It pretty much stops for the Dutch here, though, as we don't really go beyond swimming and ice skating as far as Olympic sports go. Hockey should bring us a medal, though.
    Where are you from, Davo?

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Davo's a Down Under export

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

4. davo

davo Contributing Member

Just like Fosters, Smeg [​IMG]

Det - sorry, I was sure it was Klinnsman. Maybe he has been the undeserving target of my wrath for 10 years..

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

5. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Klinnsman or not, Bosnich sure got him back when he was playing for Tottenham when Bozza was playing for Villa and came out of the box to meet the ball and knocked Klinnsman out cold.

------------------
    Discombobulation Imminent

6. Gascon

Gascon Member

I played soccer for thirteen years. There's no comparison.

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have to preface my opinions by saying I love baseball. It's easily my favorite sport. I think these feelings are born out of culture, however. People in other countries don't always "get" baseball. They don't appreciate it. I'd say that's exactly how I feel about soccer. I grew up in a family that considered Major League Opening Day a national holiday. I played soccer one year as a boy and hated it. My father hated it as well, and I'm sure his influence was prevalent.

However...I don't know how you can watch soccer on TV. I've tried...and you watch for like 30 minutes and the ball hasn't moved 20 yards! I take a nap, wake up, and the ball is roughly where it was when I fell asleep!! [​IMG]

And then you play these long grueling, physical games that end in a tie...so you go to the shootout. The concept here is classic!! You decide a game where no one can score with a contest where no one can miss!!! It's like deciding the NBA championship with a free throw competition!

Take my criticisms with a grain of salt. I recognize that there is probably some beauty to the game of soccer...I just don't "get" it. Give me beautiful ballparks and a pitchers' duel!!!

------------------

8. davo

davo Contributing Member