1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer]Rafa Marquez signs with New York Red Bulls

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Aug 2, 2010.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Since we don't have a specific Soccer thread...

http://www.cbssports.com/soccer/story/13695270/exbacelona-player-marquez-signs-with-red-bulls

Mexican national team captain Rafael Marquez signed Monday with Major League Soccer's New York Red Bulls, two days after he was released by Barcelona.

The 31-year-old defender joined former Barcelona teammate Thierry Henry on the Red Bulls. Henry made his MLS debut Saturday at Houston, forming an impressive front line with Juan Pablo Angel.

"Coming to New York and playing in Major League Soccer was a chance that I could not refuse," Marquez said in a statement released by his new team. "I am committed to doing my very best to help the Red Bulls in their playoff push this year and compete for championships in the years to come."

Marquez, Angel and Henry give the Red Bulls three high-priced designated players not subject to the league's salary budget.

Marquez, who may play midfield for the Red Bulls, was to be introduced at a news conference Tuesday at Red Bull Arena in Harrison.

He had 13 goals in 242 matches with Barcelona, helping win two Champions League titles, four Spanish league championships, a European Supercup and a Copa Del Rey trophy. Before joining the Spanish power, he was with Monaco from 1999-03.

Marquez has 11 goals in 94 appearances for Mexico, scoring against South Africa at this year's World Cup. At the 2002 World Cup, he was ejected for headbutting Cobi Jones in the Americans' 2-0 second-round win over Mexico.

"Rafael has shown on the club and international level that he is one of the world's top players," Dietmar Beiersdorfer, head of Red Bull global soccer, said in a statement. "He has been a winner at all levels and illustrated that he is a leader both on and off the field."

Henry and Marquez are part of an influx of well-known players to MLS. Mexican forward Nery Castillo signed with the Chicago Fire, and Uruguayan midfielder Alvaro Fernandez signed with the Seattle Sounders.

They join injured Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder David Beckham and midfielder Freddie Ljungberg, acquired last week by the Fire from Seattle.

Might as well call them Barca USA :rolleyes:

2. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

agreed...I don't much about the MLS rules, but why are they not subject to the salary budget? depending on the economics of each team, wouldn't you want to bring in high priced talent to elevate the game...

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Each team can bring in up to three players that have a limited cap hit, but can be payed any amount. For Marquez he's getting a few million a year, but only $330K or so counts against the cap. Not all teams do it because not all teams can afford it regardless of the salary cap, and if you end up with three guys taking up a third of your cap it makes filling up your roster more difficult.

Between the new owners who are willing to spend money and more teams owning their own stadiums it's becoming more common to see teams bring in guys like this.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

As much as it hurts to say, it's good for the league to have a relevant team in New York (even if they're in New Jersey).

I'm not a Marquez fan and, for me, this creates a team for me to hate.

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Maybe they can actually beat a 10 man Dynamo team this time.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I saw that comeback Sat. night too. All joking aside Rafa and Henry have enough talent left in the tank to cause some serious damage. If you saw Henry during the game he looked like he was playing with kids out there. His touch is still world class.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LOL @ people who think ONE PLAYER beats a team. :grin:

I don't care how good Marquez isn't anymore. I will hate him if he steps foot in Robertson Stadium vs. my Dynamo. Who cares what country he's from. Boo anyone playing against my Dynamo.

He won't help the Red Bulls much. :eek:

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

why can't we get any good DPs.

we ended up with fat dude.

is messi 32 years old yet? barely looks 13.