1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Soccer] Clint Dempsey returning to MLS

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rhino17, Aug 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Convictedstupid

One reason for the apprehensiveness is because it is a year before the World Cup. Most people want our best player playing against the best competition in the world leading up to the WC and I somewhat agree.

It would be nice but I also don't think Deuce will lose that big of a step if any at all playing for a year (and more than likely, just half a year. He will probably go out on loan to another team come December) in the MLS before the WC. If it was 2 or 3 years before the WC I would be a little more upset he wasn't playing against better competition, but I don't think 1 year is going to make him lose his touch.

Short run it could be bad for the USMNT but in the long run I think this is HUUUUUGE for the MLS.

2. DwightHoward13

Report: Clint Dempsey wanted to sign with Dynamo

Source: Houston Chronicle
    http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/a...php?cmpid=hpts

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't think people are doubting that. Some people are just afraid that his level of play may take a hit. Although, how much has Robbie Keane regressed?

This indeed seems very reminiscent of some Euro players / NBA situations, Carlos Navarro recently. Money+home is a powerful combo, especially in the final third or so of a player's career.

I think you also have to consider motivation. The Spurs experiment has failed. He probably doesn't want to go to a lesser, less ambitious Euro team after spending the bulk of his prime on such a team.
    So he goes for something else, a chance to be one of the faces of a home league.

4. astros123

astros123 Member

Loll you guys think theres some MLS teams that could compete in the epl ??? lol wut? :confused:

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Unreal - reading comprehension is not your thing, you just want to argue with people about stuff that no one said.

Kids - sheesh !

DD

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now you're just being obtuse. The Championship ≠ EPL.

What others have said is that certain MLS teams, at the top of the league, could compete for promotion to the EPL. You do know that system right? "Compete" is another story, but it's fair to suggest that certain MLS clubs are on the same level as Hull City, Cardiff City, Crystal Palace, etc.

7. astros123

astros123 Member

obviously i know this but if you're saying they could compete in the championship then thats just funny. you're telling me even the la galaxy could compete with wigan or blackpool?

8. astros123

astros123 Member

you also have to look at the depth of the mls also, they MIGHT be a decent few teams at the top IE: houston, galaxy, seattle, but cmon the bad of the mls is REALLY bad

9. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Deuce will likely be loaned back to the EPL after the MLS season is over....would love to see Deuce, Donovan, and Howard at Everton building some chemistry prior or Brazil.

Also would think it'd be awesome if Dempsey and Donovan could be loaned to Sunderland to join Jozy...

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

$9 million transfer fee for him? I wouldn't pay it.

11. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I feel sorry for DD and anyone else trying to have a sports discussion with astros123. If you visit the Astros forum on here, you'll quickly see the kind of poster he is.

12. Indaface

Indaface Member

Welp looks like imma get me some tickets for the Dynamo Sounders game now.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Thanks Rick - I appreciate anyone that wants to talk soccer, especially the USMNT, as it is finally great to have it becomming so popular.

DD

14. Beavis Stiffler

http://www.dynamotheory.com/2013/8/3/4585516/clint-dempsey-mls
    If Les Alexander bought the Dynamo, he would be the first one to get a chance to sign Clint Dempsey just like he did with Dwight Howard for the Rockets.

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Bale isn't staying. Thursdays are Spurs days, and maybe Clint like Bale is tired of playing on Thursdays.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The notion that you can have one ownership group own two separate and competing teams in the same league is a strike against MLS in my book. That's just beyond ridiculous.

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Lol but Bale made a move to Tues/Wednesday football while Clint decided Thursdays vs teams in Holland/France etc was not as enticing as midweek matches vs Latin American teams.

Nah but seriously he should have stayed or at least given it until the Winter break.

It worked early on in the league's history but I'm sure the league is trying to get out of that system as more teams arrive and the league grows.
    Hopefully our dear Dynamo will leave the AEG family soon.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I did t want to be the one saying it first but there is truth to this article. Not saying Dempsey is worth it because he's not but the fact that the Dynamo have no Local ownership only means they have to work twice as hard to build a better club. They and thier fans are being milked by an LA corporation.

19. astros123

astros123 Member

you're r****ded name one thing ive said wrong in this thread? also ive done nothing wrong with astros forum you guys are just super homers.

20. 713

713 Member

Those fans deserve him. Houston would have like 20 people at his welcoming party.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zFr5MM7EdGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>