1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Soccer] Clint Dempsey returning to MLS

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by rhino17, Aug 2, 2013.

Tags:
  1. astros123

astros123 Member

LOL dude no. Jozy altitore one of our best players is playing at a lower level epl club. 90% of mls players couldnt make the championship level teams.

please stop

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Altidore is playing for Sunderland in the premier league, the championship is the league just below that with teams like Bolton and Sheffield Wednessday etc.

I think you must have misunderstood my post and thought of the champions league, that is not the same thing.

Mayhaps you don't follow soccer that closely.

PFFFT !

DD

3. astros123

astros123 Member

yes dude i understand what the championship level is, i use to live in london. If you read what I said I said jozy plays for a lower level epl club and hes our best player .

what in the world makes you think the average mls player could make a championship level team?

4. DaDakota

Altidore is far from our best player. But it would be pointless to argue an opinion, you lived in London, I lived in Manchester we both think something different.

It happens.

DD

5. astros123

astros123 Member

hes far from our best player? okay name 5 us soccer plays who are better?

6. DaDakota

1. Donovan
    2. Dempsey
    3. Bradley
    4. Howard
    5. Jermaine Jones
    5. Brad Guzan
    5. Fabian Johnson
    5. Altidore

Altidore is no "Hey you" but he is not the best the USA has, come on now.

DD

7. astros123

astros123 Member

LOL WOW. did you just say fabian johnson and jermaine jones are better players then altidore? LOLLLLLLLLLLL

[​IMG]

8. DaDakota

Actually I put them all about the 5th level, yes - no argument with the top 4 then? So that would mean you agree he is not the top player.

Still fun talking soccer with ya...nice to see Americans caring .

DD

9. astros123

astros123 Member

you cant compare howard and guzan with a striker, they play two completely different positions. Theres no way to compare the two. What jozy did in the dutch league last year is the best performance any US soccer player has had overseas.

Dont start to tell me how johnson and jones are better then altitiore LOL.

10. astros123

astros123 Member

at the end of they day its good for MLS but as Klinsmann has said millions of times the point of US talent should be to play overseas where competition is better. Playing in the USA isnt going to make him any better and dont start to tell me how he couldnt start in the starting lineup of a mid level team such as everton/aston villa/newcastle.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Disappointing move by Dempsey. If Bale stays, Spurs had a chance to at least qualify for the CL. What does he get with this move (other than money)? I don't get it at all. I'm all for the MLS getting players who are at the top, but they're not there, yet. I get what you're saying, DD, but no matter how you look at it, this is a step back. It would make sense if this was next summer, after the World Cup. His international career would likely be over and be could then enjoy the rest of his career. It makes no sense going into a World Cup.

12. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

Money talks.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Why mls? He couldn't play in France? The league is decent.

14. astros123

astros123 Member

i still cant believe DD thought jones was as good as jozy lol

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

It's not that absurd of a statement. Jones plays for one of the top teams in the Bundesliga and the only thing keeping him from being clearly better than Jozy right now is his age. As it is it's a tossup regarding which is better.

Also, I'd be willing to put money on the better MLS teams being able to get promoted out of the Championship.

16. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

17. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

This is one time it might be best to listen to Da Dakota. He's absolutely right and you won't find many players who have played in MLS and England that won't agree. You won't find many EPL players, managers that won't agree and say that the league is solid but no slight on the league it is at the Championship level right now.
    So yeah DDakota is right about this.

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

You asked him to give you 5 players. You didn't ask for positions. In that instance he is right. If we remove GK's, then no, there aren't 5 players better than Jozy, just three.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't follow soccer closely, so can someone explain why it's impossible to believe he just wanted to play in the States? Some athletes aren't as ambitious and can be happy earning millions at home. Euro bball players go back home for both less and more money, even though the NBA is the best league out there.

20. DwightHoward13

Report: Clint Dempsey wanted to sign with Dynamo

Source: Houston Chronicle
    http://www.chron.com/sports/dynamo/...ed-to-sign-with-Dynamo-4705037.php?cmpid=hpts