1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never trust fans, even if they are decade long fans.....

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You're right but in fact there's no difference between inconsistency and inefficiency. Was reading an article about this the other day. Efficiency is just less inconsistency when it comes to basketball. There's no way to get more efficient but to get less inconsistent.

So it's not really two separate issues luckily. Frankly the past two offseasons in his exit interviews he did not seem to understand the super high critical things he needed to work on. In his videos it always looked like he's working on 3rd/4th priority issues like mid range jumper. He's not going anywhere in the NBA without an improved or less frequent 3PT shot. We can totally live without his 40% mid range shot at this early stage of his career.

This time around his exit interview was more laser-focused like:

- shooting
    - i still need to break bad habits
    - Going 110% in practice

Going through the Ime Udoka grind is going to improve everyone's off-season plan.

Ime is super on point with what he's suggested for Green and Sengun. The development staff seem plugged in. I think they will take the biggest steps of their career this off-season. It's super late thanks to inexperience, Stone and Silas but we may have made it just in time for their contract situation. Fingers crossed.

#662 Mathloom, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    BigMaloe, topfive and IBTL like this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Do you have a link to his exit interview?

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

This is your opinion only. Half the board and the head coach said the more urgent thing is to make him a better all around player. He did that first. You don't like the way it was prioritized but I'm glad he went with the way our HC prioritized it. Btw, I'm more on your side, would have preferred doing the scoring first. But I don't blame someone for listening to the HC and eventually getting to the scoring too.

You can't improve everything in half a season. Some things were going to improve before others.

How many people you know improve shooting, finishing, rebounding, passing, defense and off ball play in one season? That's not a realistic expectation. His game was a mess, it needed more time than you think.

BigMaloe likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Here you go:

IBTL likes this.
  6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks very much!

Mathloom likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He had a full year working with professional coaches trying to get prepared for the NBA where 100% of his efforts could be focused on basketball.... sorry my feeble minded friend, that's just not the same as making the leap straight from high school no matter how much you wish it was.

Your guy just sucks at basketball and there's no excuse that makes that okay.

DaDakota likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The reason the Jalen fanbois want to compare Jalen to players drafted out of high school.... despite the fact that Jalen was not drafted out of high school.... is because there has been a grand total of 1 guard drafted out of high school to ever make even a single all star game, Kobe Bryant.

Every other guard drafted out of high school was a nobody.

You have to ask yourself why these fanbois want to only compare Jalen to draft busts and nobodies.

I guess they see Jalen as the next Monta Ellis or Shaun Livingston.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lol he had a year between high school and the NBA where he was working out, that is a year of development, stop making excuses for him.

DD

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

nope, I said either could be traded, still believe that. Jalen faded back into mediocrity, like every single year.

DD

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Not sure, they're different players with different skill sets and different play styles so this question is fairly irrelevant.

But to answer your question if you really need an answer, I have more confidence in Amen's playmaking/vision to handle double teams efficiently than Jalen. No, Amen is not going to shoot 3's like Jalen but again, they're different players.

Not sure why you take such offense to anything mildly critical of Jalen Green, but his play in April to close the season is exactly why the March surge was never all that mind-blowing to me. He is capable of month-long stretches of good play, but has never demonstrated much more than that in terms of consistency. We're 3 years in now. We know this.

#671 J Sizzle, Apr 16, 2024
    Bobbythegreat likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Brah stop being weazily. You didn't just criticize Green. You made a claim beyond that. Do you want me to quote you?

"Sengun and Amen are the future". Implying Green isn't part of that. So why weazle? Why not be upfront and not hide behind "you can't accept criticism brah".

Amen does have different skillsets than Green. Absolutely. Green ja skillsets like a significantly better handle.

Why do people pretend it's just shooting? How would Amen handle a god damn full court press?

And then a two man game between Sengun and Amen? Holy drop coverage.

And about consistency.... It's obvious that maybe playing 82 games and playing through injuries and adjusting to new defenses is the factor here. But you are of course going to say march was a fluke. We are also talking about a stretch of games where experimentation was happening in he sense that there was nothing to play for anymore. Green the last couple of games deferred a lot more than usual because Ime was seeing what he had in the rookies having bigger roles. Hence why Cam and Amen were playing with the human victory cigar Boban for a long stretch while Green was on the bench with all the other veterans in the last game because it wasn't a serious game

#672 fchowd0311, Apr 16, 2024
  13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As the leaders of the team, I do believe this. Not saying Jalen's off the team or anything, just that Jalen's long-term best role within the team is not as the #1 option. As your #3 or maybe your #2, that works well, but no, he's not the guy you want as your #1 option. Is that completely and totally obvious after these 3 years watching him? It certainly should be.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While Amen certainly needs to work on his handle, Green's handle is weak as **** too.... so that's really not something anyone should list as a strength.

Day 1 Amen was an elite defensive player and the playmaking instincts are there. Having an elite skill on top of freak athleticism is valid reason to think Amen could be the future.... but it'll come down to if he can develop a shot.

The reason Jalen gets successfully targeted by defenses so much is because he can't shoot... but is VERY willing to chuck up BS shots, he's got a weak handle, and he's got a very low BBIQ.

15. fchowd0311

What makes this obvious to you? The team had to cover a men's deficiencies as a ball handler and shooter by playing a guard as a 4/5. Now that also is a testimste of how physically gifted Amen is that it works but it also says something else. If Amen had guard skills he would play guard.

Amen is a ultra utility player. He isn't someone who can run a two man game with a center who also has issues with an outside shot.

A two pnr game with Amen and Sengun would literally have the two defenders just even bother defending the pnr and just both play drop coverage. It would look very weird.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Probably the fact that it was awful for the first two years then the 3rd year he was replaced with better options like Sengun/Fred and the team improved? lmfao. I don't know why you're being so obtuse on this man. Are you related to Jalen? If so, then this makes more sense.

I am not saying March was a fluke, but it absolutely was not who Jalen is as a player on average, which you seem to continually take offense to. Not sure why. It's a fact based on both statistics and eye test. All I'm saying is he is not the guy we strategically build the team around. Again...this should be obvious.

17. fchowd0311

How was he awful?

He is like 10th in NBA history for scoring average for players 21 and under.

Why can't you understand context?

A 8 year vet pg with championship experience replacing KPJ, a career off guard being used as an experiment during tanking, as pg improved the team?

My goodness you might be on to something.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that he chucked a lot of shots is not indicative of him being a good player.... it just means that his BBIQ is low enough for him to keep chucking despite being one of the worst shooters in the league

tycoonchip likes this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You continue to be willfully obtuse, so I will go ahead and bow out of this conversation lmfao.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

A dude who made first team all rookie and averaged 22 ppg as a 20 year old is awful?

Because he isn't leading a tanking team to wins at that stage?

Is that what you got?

"Inconsistent" "disappointing" etc. Those are measured words of criticism. You want to cry you are being attacked for just criticism while calling a 19-21 year old awful. You aren't criticizing
    You are hating.

Please bow out. You don't contribute to constructive basketball analysis.

cbass likes this.