1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Can MLB take back all the WS rings during the steroid era while they’re at it. Yankees won 2009 with few players suspended with PED. A-Fraud and Petitte were on that team.

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I just want this investigation to be over already. It's like a big dark cloud hanging over the this team. Cheated or not, just get it over with (hopefully no evidence found so everyone shuts the **** up).

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Looks like they are trying to get the players to rat on the Astro coaches and management with the threat of if you lie we'll suspend you too. The Mets and Red Sex would probably push Beltran and Cora into ratting the Astros out so it would help out their clubs.

5. Elienator

Elienator Member

It’s almost certain the Astros were doing something along these lines. However, I haven’t seen any serious takes the WS win has an asterisk.

Sox and Yankees fans are gonna complain, but the Sox were caught in 2017 also and the Yankees previously employed Beltran (and the article implies it was something he brought from a previous team).

Edit: Someone who advocates for throwing at a players head for dropping their bat wrong on a home run had no credibility in providing a serious take.

BigM likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I hope the Astros have a similar AL Champions replica ring giveaway whenever the Yankees play in Houston again.

AznH-TownFan, htwnbandit and BigM like this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

Newsflash to everyone:

#268 awc713, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Dgn1, IowaAstro, AznH-TownFan and 4 others like this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There’s no way this isn’t common practice.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

#270 awc713, Nov 14, 2019
  11. Marteen

Marteen Member

12. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

And this coming from a pitcher on the 2017 Dodgers

texans1095 likes this.
  13. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah I’m not trying to be all high and mighty, but if the league uses the Astros as their example of what happens to cheaters, I’ll be pissed. Especially since the Sox and Yankees have been caught recently.

Come down on everyone or change the rules.

Dgn1, itzIce, IowaAstro and 5 others like this.
  14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Is there really enough time to do all this before a pitch is thrown?

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This is what I don't understand. They're acting like there are multiple seconds between when a sign is put up, and when the ball is thrown. Usually there's like a 1-2 second gap AT MOST. If a batter has enough time to see all the way out into CF, track what the BP catcher is doing with his hands, then refocus on the pitcher to pick up the pitch, I'm not even mad....that's just impressive.

itzIce and marks0223 like this.
  16. Elienator

Elienator Member

Not sure what Fier's motivation was, but there is a reason when players talk about sign stealing they generally don't get too specific. Everyone knows it's happening and pretty much every team is doing something that would be against the rules. When you start getting into specifics it forces MLB to investigate and now you have an investigation that's going to go beyond just the Astros. That's a lot of people on a lot of teams who might be implicated.

Also, I feel like it's important to call out this is different than something like steroids (since you could have similar justifications for people not getting too specific about steroid use). That was against the law and harmful to people's health. Stealing signs is neither illegal nor harmful and the things that you do to prevent someone on second base from stealing a sign are the same as preventing someone with a camera from stealing a sign.

htwnbandit likes this.
  17. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Fiers is this generation's Ken Caminiti with less hits

18. IowaAstro

IowaAstro Member

So the Red Sox got caught doing this in 2017, and Manfred fined them and told teams to knock it off going forward, but the media is outraged that the Astros “allegedly” did this in 2017. What a joke

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is why they are extending the investigation into 2018-19.

The issue here is, if the Astros were cheating beyond 2017, they stopped with the drums and are relaying signals some other kind of way. I doubt whistling, despite what crying Yankee fan thinks, is evidence of a stolen sign.

If they do have evidence and proof of it beyond 2017 I expect a super sever punishment, that is suspensions and maybe even a ban for management involved? That's the most the MLB has ever really done.

2017, for doing it AFTER the point that Manfred said to stop, will be a fine and draft picks, that's the most I would expect.

All the crying Dodger and Yankee fans wanting the world series taken away are crying fans. I've seen one say we should get a post-season ban for the next year....these people have lost their damn minds.

#279 JayGoogle, Nov 14, 2019
    htwnbandit, everyday eddie and BigM like this.
  20. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Apparently the bullpen catcher had an earpiece during the WS... I'm a bit worried now though I'm not sure if I should be or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.