1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So many of the 51.6% still want Francis to have the ball for the last shot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cato13, Mar 25, 2001.

1. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I like to be positive, but it is really hard when the Rockets blow 2 games like this in the middle of a playoff run.

Here's something positive...Dream could be back on Tuesday.

------------------

2. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

I think they both are superstars in the making. And oh by the way Steve shoots only 44%. All am I trying to say is that they both are equally important to the team. Steve is the better all around player, CAT is the better scorer and one on one player. Steve still hasnt hit that big shot for which Cat already has a few under his belt.

Payton still cannot hold Cuttino when isolated even though he is so good defensively. He would still get help from his teammates. I still would rather have the ball in his hands due to he will either score, get fouled, or make the pass for the pass to a wide open shooter.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

3. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Payton can still hold anybody when he's into the game.I know you saw him embarass Cuttino in the first with that travel he caused.

I agree on the help D.The Sonics played great help D on penetration. I wish the Rockets played help D like they do. I can't even count the number of time the Sonics slapped the ball away from our players. Then again the Rockets would probably get called for fouls, knowing the Rockets history with refs.

------------------

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I just want to post it in this thread too. Steve was NOT fouled. It was a clean block. I was only seven rows away, and I could see very clearly. It was a good blocked shot, and a bad play by Steve.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

5. Rockets 2001

Rockets 2001 Member

Hey ZRB, wheres your johnny-on-the-spot report?? I would really like to read a court-side report..

The loss tonite was a team loss, yes Steve shouldn't have missed that layup..but the Rox had absolutely no sense of urgency or any real extended hustle tonite...
    Specially Cato.. I was cussing him all nite..
    How depressing..

Even makes a sunshine-ass homer like me think negative thoughts.... [​IMG]

------------------
    OK heypartner..are ya happy now??
    I'm no longer "living in the past" ;)

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly cato13. Mobley is just is just as important to this team as Steve is. They both contribute in their own way. And as much as I like Steve (hell, that is why my moniker is what it is), the Rockets have a much larger investment in Cat right now than Steve. There is no guaruntee that Steve will resign with the Rockets when his contract runs out, and we have Cat for 5 more season if we want him.

------------------
    "Any event, once it has occurred, can be made to appear inevitable by a competent historian."
    Lee Simonson

[This message has been edited by RunninRaven (edited March 25, 2001).]

8. Timing

Timing Member

No actually Steve shoots 45% from the field. He shoots better than Cat from the field, from the free throw line, and from the 3 point line. Francis scores more points, has more assists, more rebounds, more steals, and more blocks. He's also a few years younger than Cat. They are not equally valuable to our team. Francis is a cornerstone type player, Mobley is simply a good player.

------------------
    "You have to think optimistic. I think it's never over till it's over." - Clyde Drexler after losing at home to go down 3-1 to the Suns in '95

9. cato13

cato13
    Look, know your stats before you quote them, per ESPN Steve is shooting 44.9 but that is a moot point. Steve also has more technicals, more Turnovers, more fouls, and minutes played. In all of the categories you mentioned he "barely leads" Cuttino so to make another case that they are equally important. Who do you think is the recipient of a lot of Steve's assists totals?

Lets look at the totals.

19.9 to 19.8 scoring...wow overwhelming advantage
    44.9% to 43.4% (FG)...same thing here
    6.9 to 4.9 (rebound)
    1.85 to 1.12 (stls)
    84% to 82% FT
    Games started 67-37..now here's where the difference is.

If Cuttino would have started at the beginning of this season he would be leading in lot of those categories as well. Go check the per 48 minute totals and he scores more by the minute than Steve does.

And lets not talk about hitting the pressure shot or getting something good out of a shot a crunchtime. That is one category Steve does not lead in yet. Cuttino has hit bigger shots already.

Yes I agree this is Steve's team and he will be Mr. Rocket in the future but he wont be able to do it without Cuttino. Kinda like Scottie and Michael, Dumars and Thomas, Kobe and Shaq. Again they are equally important to this team.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Timing, I ran the stats. Cuttino is on pace to pass Francis in scoring since becoming a starter...According to statistical projection of the last 42 games, Cuttino catches and passes Francis...sorry dude if it happens. Plus, Cuttino will end up making the same amount of baskets on 40 more shots. wow, big difference there. Cuttino is clearly a better FT shooter. Francis has a 90% anomaly at the beginning of the season. Over the last 40 games he is shooting 81%, while Cat is shooting 88%. Cat has proven he's the better FT shooter for 3 seasons vs Steve's one 90% stretch for 25 games...wow Steve, keep it up?

Right now, Cuttino is every bit the superstar in the making that Steve is, according to your stats. Now, let's throw in Rudy's stats....Starting with Mobley's 60% success rate that the Rocket's coaches are tracking.

Why not praise Cuttino as much as Francis? They both have superstar potential. Cuttino is a better pure scorer and is starting to show up with more tenacious defense. Francis has the better turnaround jumper and court vision.

Don't Believe the Hype

11. Timing

Timing Member

Excuse me I have checked my stats. According to NBA.com last night when I made my post, through 67 games Francis was shooting 45%. Clearly as I stated, Francis is leading Cat in every category I mentioned. I notice you also left out assists where Francis has a very large advantage. And though you point out games started you failed to point out minutes played which, especially with Rudy as coach, is much more important than who starts a game. Francis plays 40 minutes/game while Cat plays 38 minutes/game.

You also failed to mention that Cat has been in the league a year longer than Steve which is significant when you consider how much Francis has improved from year 1 to year 2.

There are all kinds of ways to twist statistics with "anomalies". I could say the reason Cat scores so much is because Rudy actively isolates him so much. Then you could say Rudy isolates him because he's successful 60% of the time. Then I'll point out how Rudy stuck with him when he wasn't quite so successful in the past. He kept giving Cat the ball even when he stunk it up which has helped Cat build up enormous confidence. Francis hasn't had the same opportunities to feature his game that Cat has had for the last 3 years.

------------------
    "You have to think optimistic. I think it's never over till it's over." - Clyde Drexler after losing at home to go down 3-1 to the Suns in '95

[This message has been edited by Timing (edited March 25, 2001).]

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Where were you guys when Steve was clutch versus Golden State and Atlanta ? He also scored 30 points against LAC, but we still lost. Steve's play isn't the only determining factor in our wins and losses. We can lose if Steve has a good or bad game. Conversely, we can win if Steve isn't on his A game.

Heyp, I understand your FT argument. But, if you want to look at stats, I would just as soon look at it for the whole season. If Steve ends up shooting 85 % from the line, I'm happy. I don't care if he made 90 % in the first half and only 81 % the second half. Stats are biased to begin with, but I'd rather look at stats for a full season.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

13. cato13

Timing,

Come on, Steve is supposed to have more assists, he is the point guard that is why I didnt mention that. Why dont you compare that to other point guards where he is not in the top 14. You also failed to mention Steve has more TO's than CAT right?

And as far as Cuttino being in the league one year longer, you need to re-phrase that to 50 games longer without a pre-season camp due to the shortened lockout season. There's 32 games that he could have used for improvement.

And lets talk about improvement to the second year. Cuttino wins hands down. Steve's numbers are pretty much the same as last year with about 1.5 points improvement in scoring with his rebounding up a point and his assists about the same. Cuttino added 6 points to his scoring, rebounds by 1, ft% by 3%.

And Rudy keeps giving the ball to Cuttino because he produces, especially when the game is on the line. I have seen Rudy let Francis to do his thing lately with little results so I bet the next time we need a goto guy Cuttino will be that person. And you know what he didnt come in the league with all the accolades and recognition as Steve did. Now look at him. Steve was expected to do what he does. Steve was a 2nd pick, Cuttino was a 2nd rounder.

All I am trying to say is that Steve and CAT are equally important for the growth of this team. I like Steve as much as I like CAT because they both have heart and confidence and will both be All Stars in the future.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

14. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

There aren't many PG's who have numbers better then Steve across the board. 20/7/6 is good no matter how you cut it.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

15. Timing

Timing Member

How can you in one sentence talk about Cat's scoring average as a shooting guard and then take away Steve's assist advantage as a point guard? Shooting guards are supposed to score are they not? That is certainly Cat's main role on this team. Steve has a higher assist AND scoring average. Should we knock Cat's average down a few points because he's a shooting guard?

Cat played 49 games his rookie year, started 37, AND played in 4 playoff games. He played with Chuck, Pippen, and Dream all at the same time. Any way you want to slice it that is a tremendous amount of experience that he has over Steve.

I'll get to the improvements in a little bit.

------------------

16. Timing

Timing Member

Funny you should mention improvement from year 1 to year 2. Cat in his first 2 seasons played in 130 games, plus 4 playoff games. Steve up to right now in his second season has played 145 games so this should be a pretty fair comparison.

As you can see, in 6 of the 9 categories Steve improved more than Cat in his second year of play. All the while not having the free reign to isolate at will like Cat does often times. The dramatic increase in Cat's scoring is obviously due to the loss of Pippen and Rudy's allowance for him to free lance as an offensive weapon. Steve has big increases in 3pt%, FT%, and still scores more than Cat. Steve also cuts his turnovers by more than half a game while Cat's go up by more than half a game. Cat's turnover increase is much like his increase in scoring, Rudy giving him the ball a lot more.

One more note is that Cat has improved his shooting% every year yet he still hasn't shot as high a percentage as Steve did his rookie year.

Pts: Cat +5.9, Steve +1.9
    FG%: Cat +.5, Steve +.4
    3PT%: Cat -.2, Steve +5.4
    FT%: Cat +2.9, Steve +5.4
    REB: Cat +1.3, Steve +1.6
    Ast: Cat +.1, Steve -.3
    Stl: Cat +.17 Steve +.32
    Blk: Cat -.07 Steve +.05
    TO: Cat +.59, Steve -.63

------------------

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

cato13,

please check your email about meeting at the Utah game!! or email me.

thanks

18. cato13

Tremendous experience over Steve, you make me laugh. The only experience he got was dumping it in to Dream and Charles. I guarantee you that Cuttino will lead in scoring by the years end. There is only .1 of a point seperating the two. Again I repeat Cuttino is a 2nd rounder not a 2nd pick and still comparable to Steve. Please give props where they are needed.

Ok, now cutting to the chase, who has more rebounds, more steals, more points, more assists and more everything in the postseason? [​IMG]

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Tearing down one Rocket to prop up another. What fun!

------------------
    It's Shandon's fault.

"Oh ****!" ---Kenny Thomas

20. Timing

Timing Member

I'm not trying to tear either of these guys down. I'm simply trying to back up my point that Steve is a superstar in waiting and Cat is a very good player. I enjoy them both though I wish they would lay off with the hot dog stuff and just play sound basketball. They're a great duo and will only get better with time.

I bet if you asked Mobley about what it was like and how much he learned from playing with three Hall of Famers he would say it was a hell of a learning experience that he'll never forget. One which Stevie could not benefit from unfortunately.

------------------