1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So many of the 51.6% still want Francis to have the ball for the last shot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cato13, Mar 25, 2001.

1. cato13

cato13 Contributing Member

(Meant to say, So how many.......

I dont know what was wrong with Francis tonight but he just wasnt in the game. And what was he trying to do for the last shot? First he misses a wide open layup for which we should have milked more of the clock.

Now I want to see all those people that hail Francis while bashing CAT to step up to the plate. When is Steve gonna hit that big shot? Several times CAT has already.

Hakeem's return will be too little too late I am afraid.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

[This message has been edited by cato13 (edited March 24, 2001).]

2. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

No, he was in the game, he just didnt have his A game tonight.He was hindered by a sprained ankle and the sonics doubling him the entire game. Rudy was not going to keep him out of that game, hurt or not.

No comment on Cato.

He had a good look on the shot at the end and was FOULED. I have the tape to prove it.

It was the missed layup he had that killed me, just because it was SO EASY.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited March 24, 2001).]

3. cato13

I know he was physically in the game, what I was trying to say was that mentally he was not in this game. And I never mentioned anything about CATO.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

4. tacoma park legend

That's what I was saying, he was MENTALLY there. Ankle injury+ sonics defensive plan on him + him just not having it tonight shooting the ball= a bad game for him.

------------------

5. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Francis was playing with a sprained ankle and a sore back. I still find it ironic though that Cat misses a shot or makes a mistake, and even if he's as banged up as Francis, people run to the BBS, bash him to the ground and just trash him. Francis makes a mistake and it's just token insults and it's the "Team's" fault. Of course it's the team's fault, just like with Cat. I just don't understand why people can't cut Cat the same slack they do with Francis. I don't really blame Francis for this, he was playing hurt, but he showed heart. Same with Cat. As for Cato, I haven't seen a big guy like that play without any heart since Benoit Benjamin.

------------------
    Meow!

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

AMEN!!!

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

7. cato13

Basically my point.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

8. tacoma park legend

I'm not trying to defend Francis, I'm just trying to explain the reason for his play tonight.

------------------

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Im more comfortable when Francis takes the last shot. Even if he misses, yeah its tough but he is the Leader of the team. The star player I think should always take the last shot so they can learn from it.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

10. pooh222

pooh222 Member

Cato13, how can you first of all complain about anyone, when your namesake is a big freaking ZERO. Now granted, Steve missed some key shots down the stretch, but the Rockets loss this game because they were out hustled and out-manned inside. I just can't say it enough, the Cato deal is making the Rockets organization look so stupid right now.

------------------

11. cato13

So what make you think Cuttino's Star doesnt shine as brightly as Steve's? I think he is equally if not more important to the Rocks as Steve is.

Tacoma, I hear ya.

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

12. Timing

Timing Member

13. cato13

Unfortunately, Stevie Franchise, Francis13 was taken, and if you look at when I registered it was the same time Cato had that big preseason game. You know the one that fooled Les Alexander and Carrol Dawson and everyone else. I agree 110% on the bust of Cato so please dont sue me. [​IMG]

------------------
    Rockets Season
    Ticket Holder

14. cato13

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

While I'd rather have the ball in Steve's hands on the last play, it does not necessarily mean he has to take the last shot. I like to see penetration to set up either an open shot for him, or a pass out to another player for an open shot. Tonight they did not do this, they ran ISO on the last play. If you are going to run ISO on the final play, I say give it to Cat. If it is a play where everyone is involved, give it to Steve.

I think the double-teaming threw Steve off tonight, not to mention the injuries. He does not see constant doubling very often, so he is not used to it. But still, he should have made the lay-up, so he deserves most of the blame for the loss tonight. I give Cato any leftover blame, as I do nearly every night.

------------------

16. tacoma park legend

Let me just say this,

Would you rather have had Steve with the ball against a slower Ruben Patterson or Cat against all defensive first teamer Gary Payton?

I can just imagine the scrutiny cuttino would have gotten if he went up against Gary on that last play and didn't come through. People here would be all over him, questioning why Rudy went to him with a defensive killer on him. I almost feel glad for Cuttino that he wasn't the one to not come through in the clutch tonight,

I'm just saying Rudy was reading the situation, and he made the right call, but Francis didn't come through.

------------------

17. Timing

Timing Member

Well you must be high on something. Francis is clearly a superstar in the making. Cat is a very good player but he's basically a scorer who could stand some improvement on his 43% shooting.

------------------
    "You have to think optimistic. I think it's never over till it's over." - Clyde Drexler after losing at home to go down 3-1 to the Suns in '95

18. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

It doesn't matter which one had the ball, they were both guarded by defensive fiends. Payton is slightly better than Patterson so Steve had the ball, it just didn't work out.

Of course the Rockets lost this game on the defensive glass.

Already six negative threads, and ZRB hasn't even posted his game report yet. Yummy. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

[This message has been edited by Puedlfor (edited March 25, 2001).]

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If Cuttino really does have the best 1st step in the NBA, then Payton should not phase him. He did take it to the hole in NY over Spree to win a game...and Spree is taller and arguably as good a defender as GP. I would have rather had Stevie take it all the way to the basket though...Seattle doesn't have a good shotblocker, just a goaltender(Mccoy).

------------------

20. tacoma park legend

Diehardrocket,

Cuttino had a hard time tonight against Gary when he went at him one on one.Remember that play in the first quarter when he made Cuttino travel? THAT is good D.
    You're right, offensive rebounding killed them.

I don't even think it was because of lack of hustle, with the exception of Cato, because every Rocket went to the glass, but the ball just bounced way off every time. Sometimes you just don't get the bounces, and tonight was one of those nights.

Still cringing thinking about the horrendous takeaway from Cato for a Sonics layup.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited March 25, 2001).]