1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So is it not getting Dunn or is Justice covering both Sides?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by redgoose, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Buck Turgidson

You make it sound oh so easy. You think they're not trying?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

somehow i doubt it's that easy.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I know they're trying. I'm saying my job involves getting results, working out favorable deals for my clients, preparing for trial. Your job probably involves results. We're all accountable. And a GM's job involves working out trades when needed. Pupura's not a bad guy if he doesn't get one done, and he might end up being a really good GM, but he's going to be judged this season based in part on what he does, or doesn't do, by the deadline.

4. SamCassell

If the job was easy, they'd hire you and me to do it. ;)

Seriously tho, a noncontending team has incentive to get value for veterans who are still productive. They need prospects and younger players and salary relief. A contending but veteran team needs players who are productive now, and are usually willing to sacrifice something in the future. So trades are generally in both teams best interests, because their respective assets are more valued by the other club. The tricky part is of course in deciding what the specifics of the trade will be. Nonetheless, trades can and do happen.

I suppose though that you'd prefer we not make any assessment of trades or the ability of the GM to get them done, because clearly trades are tough to do and we assume the staff is working hard. Hey, hitting a baseball is really tough to do as well, and I know he tries hard, but Brad Ausmus is still a poor hitter by any quantitative standards. Baseball is an entertainment industry, players and GMs are under the microscope, and fans will always judge the people filling those jobs by the results generated, fair or not.

5. Buck Turgidson

Oh, I agree that TP should, and will, be judged by what he does. It is, as you said, his job. But it is a bit premature to be throwing around words like "idiot" and "failure" (even when qualified with "potential") until we see what other deals get made, and what the Astros do and *why* they decide to go a certain route.

And don't be suprised at all if, after the Stros trade for a guy not named Dunn/Helton/"superstar X" but who is a productive guy & who fits their plans, you hear the chorus of "Why the hell did they trade for THIS guy?"

I guess alls I'm saying is, can we have just a little patience, please?

6. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

The problem with soriano is that he is a free agent and the astros would not trade for him unless they signed him to an extension or at least were given some assuarances that he will sign with us.

7. SamCassell

Since your post was directed at me, it's fair to point out that I never used the word "idiot" referring to Pupura (hey, you're the one referring to him as TP, which to me is the stuff in rolls next to the john). I don't really care about other deals by other clubs or why they would "decide" to go the route of not adding anyone, like most fans I'm interested in the bottom line.

I don't really care what the public reaction is, I don't think moves should be made for that reason. Adding a solid but non-superstar bat like some of the names I threw out there would be great, even if it wasn't flashy. Heck, a non-superstar bat might be better, if it comes at a substantially lower cost.

8. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

You had me fooled. i thought that post was directed at me since i said all of those words. 2nd post to the top. I was a little harsh, but i guess i was implying that i haven't seen one thing Purpura has done yet. And the article i based my post on that irritated me was implying how he shouldn't take any risks. There was also an identical one to it by the other Chron writer today. It just seemed like Purpura had excuses not to trade for anyone because they all had faults in their games.

The Preston Wilson/Stanton trade people disliked would have made me very happy. As you said, it's about the bottom line. Now i just figured Dunn is making 4.6 million and could still be the future of the club for at least 2 1/2 years. Not this "rental player" people keep bringing up. It just seems the most logical to me unless there's a better bat at that price for a couple years someone's not telling me about. I also mentioned his teamate LaRue, that would leave us with only 2 crummy bats on the team (Everett's and the pitcher's.) When 1/3 of your team is basically an automatic out, it will bite you in the ass.

I said it before and will again. If Purpura ever makes a move, i'll give him credit where credit is due. But my senses tell me he needs to get the negotiations rolling, because people forget we paid for that Juice box and were looked in the eye and promised a Championship. I want to talk about today, not tommorow when we already have the players and the right farm system to get the other players that can push us over the top, and not just for one lousy summer.

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I honestly think that if we can add a big bat we should. Because I think, when we meet the Cards in the NLCS *knocks on wood*, our pitchers will be more than ready for them this time around. And besides, the Cards' most valuable player Dan Miceli won't be there.

A rotation of Clemens/Oswalt/Pettite/Backe and having Lidge closing shouldn't be put through what could be weak offensive help.

And if Helton's on the market, and even though he's creeping up there in age, get him. I wouldn't hold it against Pupura if he had to trade Lane or Lamb or Burke for Helton only to see that those three would be offensive monsters in the end IF I knew THIS YEAR's chances of getting to the World Series goes up just by adding Helton. Win now, worry later.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ok..it's richard justice..but i'll post it anyway:

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/

July 15, 2005
    On Adam Dunn, Pittsburgh and Carole King...
    • Adam Dunn probably doesn't even remember the play, but inside the Astros' clubhouse and front office, it left a huge impression. It happened a few weeks ago when Dunn appeared to loaf on a play in which he could have thrown Brad Ausmus out on the bases.

Players and management alike mentioned it to me over the last couple of days. They're wondering if that single play doesn't signal a larger issue. They're wondering if he has come to accept the losing in Cincinnati, and if he'd be a good fit for the Astros.

"I'd say he'd make us a LITTLE better," one guy told me.

In the end, the more important issue probably is how the Reds have overvalued him and want too much to make a deal. But that play has stuck in a lot of minds, too.

They're wondering what it says about his work ethic, commitment, etc. For now, scratch Adam Dunn from the list of possible future Astros.

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

12. msn

msn Member

Really, now? Do you rent hotel rooms and cars in Houston? How many?

13. redgoose

Exactly what are you trying to say here? You're analogies aren't too clear. We wern't promised a Championship? How long have you lived here? Do you watch baseball? :confused:

14. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How long have you lived in Houston? MMP is paid for by an increase in taxes on rental cars and hotels. It wasn't really an analogy as much as it was a fact.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Everyone promises championships. It's not Drayton's fault that we couldn't hit anyone in '97 and '98. It's not Drayton's fault that Walt Weiss made an amazing play in '99. It's not Drayton's fault Mike Jackson was called from the bullpen in '01. It's not Drayton's fault that Jim Edmonds made a badass catch in game 7 (Buck) in '05.

There are definitely people here not watching baseball...

16. Buck Turgidson

Uh yeah, owe you a beer on that one. I was not in my optimal state of mental functionality at the time.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I only remembered the debate when I started typing that. How I did not have a hangover yesterday is a miracle.

18. msn

msn Member

As well stated by others, that was not an analogy.

19. redgoose

I stand corrected, i wasn't thinking about the "out of town taxes" that i end up paying. Because yes, i do rent cars and hotel rooms. Though many are for clients staying in Houston for Business. But as soon as the stadiium opened there was also an increase in ticket prrces, and practically doubling of concessions, not just 1 or 2 times.

No, i can't blame Drayton for the years of Biggio and Bags choking nor the Edmonds catch.

So with our beatiful new stadium, the promise of increased payroll, which we are starting to live up too, anyone care to explain why we lost one of the best GM's in Baseball?

20. msn

msn Member

I'll pass. If one is given to whining, he will whine regardless. I with the Astros would have won, too.