1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So is it not getting Dunn or is Justice covering both Sides?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by redgoose, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Major

Major Member

I agree that Helton's numbers at home are inflated - but that's to be expected. If Pujols played at Coors, he'd bat 0.400 at home and 0.340 on the road. My point was that Helton, on the road, is still one of the top hitters in baseball, and far better than anything else on the trade market. Will he bat 0.380? No. But in 2003 and 2004, he's batted 0.325 on the road with an OPS near 1.000 - that's Berkman-level numbers. Imagine the impact of adding a second Berkman into our lineup.

2. Major

Major Member

Why does Purpura look like an idiot? For giving Taveras, Burke and Lane a chance? For losing Beltran, whose numbers are worse than Taveras? For not spending ridiculous money on crap like Finley?

3. kevwun

kevwun Member

I'd agree with you Major, if Helton was doing his usual thing. This year he's well below those numbers on the road and noticeably below his usual numbers at Coors. Given his age and contract, I think it's a gamble that isn't worth it.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

IIRC, the insurance only kicks in if Bagwell misses an entire season. If he does not come back next season because of the shoulder, insurance will pay his salary for 2006. The Astros are not getting anything back for this season.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

True, but he has gotten very hot as of late. His numbers are creeping back towards normal for Helton. He'll get over .300, hit 25 hr's, and be close, if not over, 100 rbi by seasons end.

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I didn't say I thought he looked like an idiot now, only that he does to most with their wait-and-see approach with Beltran and the handling of the Jeff Kent situation. I have no problem with him thus far. But if he opts to not add a bat this year, then he is an idiot. Fair?

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

depends on who is truly available and what the cost is

8. Buck Turgidson

B.S. Max. It was quite easy on my Playstation.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the only way the Helton gets traded is if the Rockies pick up some of his contract. I remember reading an article about him in a recent issue of ESPN the magazine and he basically said that he'd never come out and ask to be traded because it would break his heart to see the Rockies win and not be a part of it. In the article, they speculated that because his contract is so bloated and such an albatross for the Rockies, they'd have to cut their losses and take a hit in the short term (by paying some of his guaranteed money) in order to gain that financial wiggle room they would receive by having him off their roster.

It's simply a case of pay me now or pay me later. The sooner they can get him off their books, the sooner they can replenish and restock their team. With his FULL salary on their books, it's cost-prohibitive for them to address other needs.

FWIW, Helton's MMP numbers vs. Coors Canaveral over the past three years (2002-2005)

(MMP - Coors)
    AB: 33 - 851
    H: 14 - 323
    R: 9 - 224
    HR: 2 - 62
    RBI: 8 - 197
    BB: 6 - 174
    AVG: .424 - .380
    OPS: 1.215 (.488 +.727) - 1.181 (.482 +.699)

he'd have a higher OPS at MMP :)

#29 desihooper, Jul 15, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  10. MadMax

:) yeah, i suppose everyone's available that way.

there was a pedro/johan santana trade in my fantasy league. get 'er done, timmy!!! :D

11. Major

Major Member

I think he has to try, but if nothing's available to a decent price, I wouldn't force a move just for the sake of it. I think the real test will be to see if the guys we might want (Helton, Dunn, etc) get traded elsewhere and at what price. I hope we don't just make a move for a Millar or someone like that out of desperation.

If Burke and Lane improve as the season progresses, then that's the equivalent of adding a bat right there, so I don't think it's impossible to win without an extra bat.

12. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

The article implied to me Purpura was an idiot because he's to scared to make a move. He drove away Jeff kent who was as happy here as he was as much anywhere in his career. He sees Dunn as a bad idea because he strikes out too much. Well i remember a couple of other people that impacted the game in a huge way with a high strike out rate. They were named Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa. He didn't get us one bat in the off season and is conidering not this year because of the "risk." He started us off with a complete minor league outfield forcing us to make a miracle comeback. granted i don't blame him for Beltran, but he was heavily involved in the negotiations.

But i think the main reason he's looking like an idiot is because he hasn't done a single thing. Really, did we even need a GM since the end of last season when you think about it?

I realize there will be some differing opinions to my take and i don't mind hearing them. If Purpura does finally pull something off, which he should since he has all the assets too, then i will commend him for doing nothing more than his job. Then he should pass go and collect 200 dollars or whatever his 1st paycheck is. ;)

13. kevwun

kevwun Member

Those two guys hit more homers while hitting for a much higher average. The Reds are asking alot for a guy with a serious flaw and Purpura should be hesitant about doing the deal.

14. MadMax

please don't ever compare Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire to Adam Dunn ever again :) thanks in advance for your cooperation with this matter.

15. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I said it once and I'll say it again....I think this (between now and the deadline) is where we are really going to miss Hun. I hope I am wrong...but I think we will. Hun seemed to always get our hat in the ring where we never thought it was possible...hopefully Tim can do the same.

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It will absolutely positively be a failure if Pupura can't get us a bat before the trade deadline. We all know one is needed, Drayton will give the go-ahead on salary, and there are bats out there to be had. The turnaround this season has been remarkable, and I'm starting to believe, but the offense still needs help. 3 regulars hitting .240 or below, and that's not including Adam Everett's poor season. The fact that they're in contention with all that is testament to how amazing the rotation (and Ensberg) has been.

17. MadMax

but at what cost??? and who, specifically??? another half-season rental??

18. Buck Turgidson

Lane will heat up again, extreme streakiness is his trademark going back to the minors. He's much better suited to hit 6th (he's by all accounts a serious grinder, and needs someone to take a little pressure off him). Berkman should keep improving. Moberg is due for a bit of a dropoff from his ridiculous recent hotstreak.

Burke gives them nothing they really need right now, other than a warm body in LF who's been the "best" of a truly horrible group of performers at the position. He'd be serviceable on a team where he could play 2nd, hit 2nd or 7-8, surrounded by actual run producers in the lineup. The trickle-down effect of his playing every day - Lane hitting 5th, forcing you to put Everett in an RBI spot (6th) - is a huge problem.

They need someone to hit in the 5 hole, desperately. Lane/Everett/Ausmus isn't a bad 6-8 at all, but the total lack of production from the 5 spot has killed the team, and continues to do so.

It doesn't have to be a superstar, either. Just a solid bat that may be available far cheaper than the *rumored* price tag for a guy like Dunn. I listed a few guys somewhere in another thread that fit this bill, but from the quotes we've seen, even these lower-tier guys are crazy overpriced in the current trade market (Millar for Qualls, anyone?).

Well, that was basically a roundabout way of saying what we already know - they need another bat. We'll see how it shakes out.

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Yea, I think you take a half-season rental if you have to. How can you not give Roger another shot at the postseason with the year he's had? As for specifically who, there have been lots of hitters mentioned. Just look for good hitters on teams who aren't going anywhere, and move on them. Crawford in Tampa, Sweeney in KC, Sexson in Seattle, Dunn in Cincy, Helton in Colorado, Lawton in Pitt, Alou in SF... I bet any of those guys can be had for the right package. And not necessarily our top prospects either.

20. kevwun

kevwun Member

There isn't a player available who doesn't have question marks. That's the difference from last year. On top of it, the Astros gave away almost nothing for Beltran. They traded a struggling Dotel (whose kept on struggling and then got hurt) and a once promising catcher prospect who had lost some of his luster and hasn't done anything to get it back. The demands teams have this year seem to be ridiculous. For the Astros to make a trade just so they make a trade would be silly and will do more harm than good.