1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Smack Talk] Rex Ryan Taking Shots at Tom Brady.

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by ghettocheeze, Jan 11, 2011.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Ha, there's a lot of crow to go around in this thread. The Jets talked a lot of **** and backed it up on the field. RESPEK

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because I'm tired of this No fun league.

Texans are a perfect example of Chior boy football and that **** got old quick.

Jets went out and got talented trouble makers and guess what? The made plays.

Texans sat on their hands and prayed for wins. What did that do?

3. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Glad the Jets won, now the closet Patriot fans can go away. Now for the Jets to beat the Steelers and the Packers/Bears to beat the Jets.

Say what you will about Rex Ryan but he's well-liked by players and even treats cut players with respect. I suppose you're a fan of the good ol' boy coach like Kubiak who also benches players for half a game as punishment.

4. Apps

Apps Member

No, I'm a fan of coaches that know how to handle business on a professional level and not be an arrogant ass hole about it. Dungy is one of my favorites. I admire people that can step in with a serious air about them and get a job done without the ostentatious bull crap that Ryan keeps putting out there.

Classic rib at the end there. I don't admire ass hats like Rex Ryan therefore I must be a Kubiak supporter, huh? :rolleyes:

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Because at least they are not the PATRIOTS!

Rocket River

6. Major

Major Member

I agree in the case of the coaches / players who just talk for the hell of it. But this whole week (and last week) seemed very calculated. Rex Ryan got all the media attention focused on him and the defense - and everyone left Mark Sanchez alone. No idea if it was intentional or not, but it took all the media pressure off the offense, and he performed better than he has in the past.

They also successfully managed to get into the heads of the Patriots, and got their best WR benched for a series. At the end of the day, it's impossible to say how the game would have played out minus all that stuff, but if it helped his team play better or the Patriots play worse, then it was all justified, in my opinion.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed

Rocket River

8. Apps

Apps Member

That's a good observation, but my point is not about whether it worked or what the subtext was/is, but how one could want a team like that to win... let alone to even look at that kind of behavior (said behavior not being restricted to this week alone) as something admirable. So far RR brings up the only point that I must concede.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You're ignorant. Belichick is one the biggest a-holes in coaching. He's even dissed Dungy and other coaches with his post game drive by handshakes. Belichick is famous for his attitude and his contempt for people. Not only that, the Pats have been fined hundreds of thousands of dollars and forfeited a draft pick for cheating. Here's the latest beauty. Belichick and the Patriots are no boy scouts over there.

Video shows Pats' sideline wall vs. Jets
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=6027832&type=story

Video surfaced Sunday showing several Patriots players standing flush against the inside border of the sideline during a punt return in a Week 2 loss to the Jets, with the last player in the line attempting to trip New York's special-teams "gunner."

Fox Sports broadcasted the footage during its coverage of Sunday's NFC divisional playoff game, reporting the Jets were aware of the Patriots' actions when under scrutiny by the NFL for similar activity that resulted in a $100,000 fine.

AFC Divisional Playoffs

Jets Patriots Get all the news and commentary on the Patriots-Jets matchup on ESPN.com's matchup page.

• Playoffs schedule | New OT rules
    • Blog network:
    AFC East | Patriots blog | Jets blog

The Jets became privy to the Patriots' use of the sideline wall when they signed a player off the Patriots' practice squad in November, Fox Sports reported. Linebacker Shawn Crable was added a few days after he was cut by the Patriots.

The Jets are appealing the fine handed down by the NFL last month, levied for a violation of league rules when Sal Alosi, a strength and conditioning coach, tripped Miami's Nolan Carroll on the sideline during a punt return in the Jets-Dolphins game on Dec. 12.

The league said Alosi instructed inactive players to stand in a wall in a prohibited area on the sideline to deter opposing teams' players during special-teams plays, which is a violation of NFL policy.

The video of the Patriots showed the players in a similar sideline position.

Alosi was suspended until the end of the season by the Jets.

After the Alosi incident, Jets special-teams coordinator Mike Westhoff told the media he had seen similar tactics used by other teams, specifically naming the Patriots. Westhoff said he noticed it when he watched film of past games to see if Alosi had the Jets stand in the wall formation during earlier games.

NFL Nation

NFL logo Our eight bloggers help you keep up with all the latest NFL news division by divison. Blog

"Were [the Patriots] teaching it?" Westhoff said at the time. "I have no idea. When they punted were they back? Yes. When the other team punted were they up tighter? Yes. Absolutely. You can look at it -- look at the tape. I'm not accusing the Patriots of doing something wrong, maybe they are doing something smart. That's up to you.

"Just watch the tape. You tell me. I know one thing, I don't teach it, I don't coach it and I'm not aware that it happened."

Both Jets coach Rex Ryan and Westhoff have said they were unaware of the tactic.

A few days after the incident, the NFL sent a letter to all 32 teams reminding them of the rules and restrictions for the bench area and sidelines.

Jets owner Woody Johnson has since apologized to Patriots owner Robert Kraft, as well as Dolphins owner Stephen Ross.

Information from ESPNNewYork.com contributor Ian Begley was used in this report.

1 person likes this.
  10. noize

noize Contributing Member

Who cares what fatty feet man says. Its a mind game and the Pats fell for it. To want a team to lose b/c of their coach's antics is stupid...he's not the one out there on the field playing.

Is getthocheez still crying?

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Maybe he takes a shot at Ben and calls him a rapist.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

The Steelers are way more physical than the Pats. They just beat a better version of the jets imo.. I think he'll keep his mouth shut.

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

sexy rexy toyed with the pats as if they were his wife's feet.

14. Apps

Apps Member

You are quick to call me ignorant, while you yourself are presumptuous enough to think that simply because I dislike Rex Ryan, I must automatically support Belichick. As I stated earlier, I agree with RocketRiver that the only reason anyone would want to root for this Jets team is because they played against the Patriots.

15. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

Because they are a fun team and play they're hearts out.
    Also a great coach.
    -The punishing player part is fair. Some players get off with less.
    -What the jet coach did was dirty but I seriously doubt you can blame that on the rest of the players and coaching staffs.
    -Foot fetishes , so what? Millions of people in the world had feet fetishes.
    -that was the jets fault but every team have faults and beside how can you ignore that
    [​IMG] lol

I

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ditto this. I can't think of two coaches in any sport I dislike more than Belichik or Rex Ryan. The only reason I held my nose and wanted the Jets to win was so next week's game would be in Pittsburgh. The game was enjoyable to me because one team I strongly disliked would suffer a disappointing loss. I liked Ryan's trash talking because it raised the stakes so high and he would have been humiliated had the Jets lost. Since the Jets won after talking so much stuff, it makes the Pats look like weakfish. I hope these teams kill each other like the Ravens and Steelers every time they play and the loser goes home and cries.

Anybody think Rex Ryan will trash talk the Steelers? They are ten times more physical than the Pats. I doubt it.

17. Major

Major Member

For all the talking Rex Ryan has done, has it really been trash talking? He said he hated the Patriots. He said it's personal between him and Belichick and that he just wanted to be better than Belichick for one day. He said Peyton Manning always beats him so it's personal there.

But in all that, was anything there really bulletin board material? His players certainly did some of that, but Rex Ryan seems to be good at talking while not really trashing his opponents.

18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i agree, major. rex has a big mouth, no doubt, but he just seems like a big old goofy kid to me. i like him :)

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Other than "questioning" Brady's work ethic, I suppose you are right.

A better question would be is will Rex Ryan and his players make a bunch of public comments about that Steelers this week?

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

say what you want, the Jets mind games and players made a difference and disrupted the Pats...I hate the Pats though, so I may be biased...

SHould be some great championship games this weekend...

I think the Jets & Green Bay will win...