1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slingbox Pro HD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JBIIRockets, Apr 25, 2012.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I am about to buy this thing.

Anyone have it? How is it?

2. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

I have a Slingbox Solo and it works well for me. My only complaint is that i would have to purchase additional equipment if i wanted to put my slingbox on a wireless network.

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

So if I wanted to go all the way and do the wireless and pro HD, how much am I looking at spending?

4. davo

davo Contributing Member

I don't have a pro HD, but I have a slingbox solo that is set up in my parent's house in Australia. It was ok while it worked, but then it stopped one day and I have been unable to revive it from distance.

If you are going to set it up in your house, and have regular access to it to maintain, it will be great.

A couple of other points. Is it wireless? If not, it will need to be located close to your router. Also, for best results it should be hooked up to your PVR so you can record stuff and watch it at your leisure rather than live. Finally, mine used ~ 1000kbps upload for an SD stream - you will obviously need an internet plan with a lot of uplod bandwidth for HD.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I have a Slingbox Solo....but when cable went digital...it became useless to me. Only can pick up analog sig...which is like 5 channels.

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I have the Pro HD. Love it. Have had it for 8 months or so now and it works great. You have to have a solid connection on both ends but I never really had any issues with it. I recommend it.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I have the Sling Solo and I love it.

Still does 720p with component cable so that's why I didn't do pro HD.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

people say that all slingboxes break after a year conveniently after the warranty expires due to faulty capacitors, and their customer support is putrid as you have to pay to even contact then, is this true?

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I've known some poeple's Slingboxes have broken down, but I haven't heard much about their Customer Service being bad in replacing it. A family member of mine was able to replace his pretty easily after his went faulty.

10. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Quick tip for Dish customers - if you want Sling then all you need is a Sling Adapter which is $30

11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I have the Pro HD and have had the original since the release date. I use it when out of town but mostly use it for watching tv in the bedroom. So much better than dealing with the guide from the comcast box.

Also I have a video camera on the other input so I can "look" into my living room anytime I want.

I also have experienced my pro HD going down but it turned out to be the ac adapter. It was hard finding a 4 amp 5v ac adapter locally... but you can get them directly from Sling.

I sent my original down to my brother in Houston. He put it on an extra box at his house so I can watch local broadcasts without splurging on nba league pass or NFL ticket

If you guys want a slingbox on steroids and have Comcast.. get an Ceton Infinitv 4 and record 4 hd channels simultaneously. My media center has 3 x 2tb hard drives so storage isn't an issue. I use a program called Remote Potato on Android to watch videos remotely from media center.

12. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

Bet! That thing was $100 last I checked...

13. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I have a sling box that i never use. If anyone is interested please email me and i will find more info. and by sell i mean i would be happy to just have someone give it a happy home. not sure what version it is but i dont think its hd and it should have digital signal.

14. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Yep. Thats what it cost about a year ago. I got if for $80 about half a year ago and now its $30.
    BTW...Sling is an EchoStar company which used to be a DishNetwork company until 2007 and they are still the primary owner and fleet operator of the satellite fleet for Dish :p

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I had the Hava, but I gave it away to someone here on Clutchfans - I think they are pretty neat, especially if they can broadcast to a smart phone or tablet.

DD

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I had Slingbox back in '06 and thought the technology was insanely cool when coupled with digital cable and movies on demand; but the equipment itself was annoying as heck to setup and didn't survive the apartment change: really meaning it just didn't work anymore. I understand they added mobile capabilities beyond your house years ago; even though digital downloads have probably rendered it moot it still seems like great equipment.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Interested in trying this out. Cannot email through the board for some reason. Can you email me?