1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slam Dunk Participants

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tierre_brown, Jan 5, 2011.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...it's amazing the difference when you go back and watch old slam dunk competitions versus now. More lights and flashy music now - less creativity.

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Jennings is still like the 8th best area dunker maybe

Demar Derozan
    Russell Westbrook
    Nick Young
    Ryan Hollins
    Chase Budinger
    Landry Fields

Then you can go with Eric Gordon from the Clippers

They wanted to go with Jennings for "star power" I guess, but then Westbrook has both Jennings and Ibaka beat there.

3. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

They kinda in a way sorta do that with the NON-televised All Star Weekend days, at least they did in year's past. Random old timers going against each other like George Gervin vs JoJo white, stuff like that. So they probably don't think its interesting enough. Of course they used to have a full out regular old timers game but that got hard to watch seeing former heroes on the downhill.

4. AggieRocketsFan

At least there is no Nate Robinson.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

They were showing a stat of the contestants I think yesterday on TV. The big man were lead of course by Griffin in number of dunks. But the most glaring thing of it all.

Jennings..only 2 dunks this whole season. Yes I know he is a guard and probably doesn't get inside to dunk much. But never in his career have I seen Jennings and thought..."man that guy can throw down"

Just a sad affair.

6. Bigmarky

Bigmarky Member

derrick rose is a game dunker not a showtime dunker

he dunks like latrell just power and pulls his hands behind his head

sfranchise is better then rose at dunks

budinger has 0 name recognition on a loser team that only homers keep track of

most ppl cant name 4 players on the thunder so i have no idea why he's there

lebrick will never participate cuz he has 0 dunks he's also a game dunker

anyone's who tried to dunk on an 8-9ft goal knows its very difficult to do what they do - even though its not the same concept

magic will say the same chit every year (see sign)

i hope the washington generals win this one and blake gets 2nd (he's already go the dunk fame champ)

7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

What commentators?

8. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PzJWCS13dwc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PzJWCS13dwc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Ibaka my pick because I know what the others bring to the table....Griffin power(alley oops)....Jennings maybe a nice vertical but not creative enough...and McGee gonna miss alot tryin to do something crazy.....so that leaves Ibaka who could use the cash and may do somethin amazin

10. Asian Sensation

I really wish J Hood Rich would've entered 1 last time. I bet at age 30 he could still win this thing easily. He's probably one of my favorite all time dunkers. Creative/smooth yet powerful.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Jennings seriously..??

too tall players, you would like to see 6-6, 6-5 players compete, Griffing makes it exciting to watch, but still don't get why Ibaka in that contest. :confused:

13. Mr. Space City

oooooooooooooooooooooooo

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2011/01/05/16776386.html

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Sadly my thread got completely ignored, so imma post this again.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/01/05/sprite-slam-dunk-participants/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1

As part of the NBA and Sprite's continuing efforts to bring fans closer to the Sprite Slam Dunk, each of the four participants will be featured in a special online video series that will give fans an inside look at their preparations for the event. The series, "Sprite Slam Dunk: Countdown to the Contest," will feature each participant matched up with a dunk coach who will work with his respective player to create and practice some of the electrifying dunks that will take place during the event in Los Angeles.

Griffin will match up with TNT analyst and two-time Slam Dunk participant (1990, 1991) Kenny Smith; Jennings will practice with NBA Legend Darryl Dawkins; McGee will work with NBA TV/TNT analyst and five-time NBA All-Star Chris Webber; and Ibaka will prepare with Thunder teammate and 2009-10 NBA scoring champion Kevin Durant. Each episode also will feature a "dunk selection ceremony" where the participants will choose which dunks they want to keep and which they decide to send to "the bench." Fans will be able to keep up with the latest development in the series, which will tip off tomorrow and will run through the week of the event, by viewing the latest weekly episodes at NBA.com/Dunk.

15. AXG

AXG Member

I know I'm in the minority but I'm really looking forward to this Dunk Contest. Blake Griffin is the sickest dunker I've seen in a long time. McGee and Ibaka can both sky. The only one I'm not impressed with is Jennings. Overall, it should be entertaining.

16. SunsRocketsfan

Yea I know about those are boring games because its legends in their 60's playing each other in a real game. I'm talking about just shooting 3's.

I am sure Reggie Miller, or even people like Kenny Smith can still shoot 3's with the best of them. It would be fun to see people like Chris Mullin, Hornacek, Stockton, etc face off against Ray Allen, Nash, etc.

that would totally fix the 3 pt contest and make it that much more interesting and exciting.

17. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

DeRozan needs to replace Jennings.

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dunk contest is usually boring. Maybe someone will star this year.

19. Prince

Prince Member

Guys over 6 6'' tall are not graceful to watch in slamdunk.

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Dominique Wilkins and Kenny Sky Walker were pretty graceful for their size. More so Walker since he was a bit more finesse compared to Wilkins power.

But i do agree that taller guys don't look like they are flying as much as compared to smaller guys. But there are always exceptions.