1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ski Destinations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DrLudicrous, Nov 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Where's a good place to go skiing for cheap (flight, lodging, lift ticket)?

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Boulder
    My Place (airbnb, coachsurfing)
    Eldora

Under $500, not counting renting equipment. But, I'll supply the helmet, poles, skis, but you'll have to get your own boots.

For $50 more you can go to Loveland with my buddy and I, and we'll give you our Buddy Passes.

Now, if you want a ski lodge. Take the shuttle from Denver airport to Frisco, and ski Breck.

Don't listen to anyone else who tries to pitch on a Non-Colorado destination. CO is off the charts better than any other ski destination in the North American.

3. davo

davo Contributing Member

Traveling to Canada will probably not meet your budget needs, but maybe with the weak Canadian dollar it works? o

In any case, I will be heading to Lake Louise this weekend - already had 40cm of snow and a further 20cm+ forecast for tonight/tomorrow!

EDIT: 50cm+ forecast for the weekend!!!!

#3 davo, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Salt Lake City.

Southwest flies there. It is a very easy drive from Salt Lake City to 3/4 ski resorts, so you can stay in the city for cheaps.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I want to Copper Mountain in Denver. Seemed budget friendly

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

HeyP is correct, CO is the only way to go

I also live in CO and am a former Ski instructor

There really isn't such a thing as skiing for cheap. There are cheaper options than others but it's gonna be expensive any way you do it. Loveland and A Basin are cheaper (I'm skiing at A Basin tomorrow), but they also have nowhere to stay nearby.

Of the really great resorts, I would recommend Breck. You can find relatively cheap lodging compared to others and it's the only major ski town where a non-rich person can still eat a meal. The town is also very walkable and pedestrian friendly.

Lift tickets are gonna be $150+ a day almost anywhere, so if you are gonna ski for like 4 days or more, it's worth buying some kind of season pass

7. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

geez i had no idea lift tickets were that much these days :(

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If you're on a super budget, stay at a cheap motel in Silverthorne/Dillon. From there you are only 15-20 minutes away from Breck, Arapahoe, Keystone, Loveland ski areas. You can drive yourself or shuttle (fee) there. There is actually a really really nice Best Western in Dillon.

I've been a regular at Breck for 6+ years now but I'm even looking elsewhere because lift tickets at Breck are outrageous. Near Breckenridge you have Loveland and Arapahoe which are like $50-60 for lift tickets. My next trip I'm thinking about staying in Breckenridge (love the town) but driving out to Loveland/Arapahoe to ski. Keystone is also close by but I think prices are similar to Breck.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Angel Fire New Mexico. It's where my wife and I celebrated our 1year anniversary, and it was a blast!

1 person likes this.
  11. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Angel Fire is fun and easy. Park City, Utah is nice too. Lake Tahoe is expensive but amazing.

1 person likes this.
  12. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

A couple years ago I went skiing at Winter park Colorado. I had a blast and would recommend it. If you do go here make sure to try out Tabernash Tavern to grub.

1 person likes this.
  13. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Use miles to get to Calgary and then take advantage of cheap loonie to experience Revvy or Fernie. POWDA!!!!

1 person likes this.
  14. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

If you want cheap, CO won't work. The lodges & ski resorts there are usually pretty expensive. Utah is good & cheaper. Same w/ Cali. I love Lake Louise, mostly for the beautiful views. That wouldn't be cheap though.

1 person likes this.
  15. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I only ski old Republic of Texas towns: Angel Fire, Ski Apache, Ruidoso, Breckenridge ...etc

1 person likes this.
  16. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

You can stay in Canmore cheap.

17. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Salt lake city has inexpensive lodging and a lot of the mountains have reasonably priced lift tickets. The mountains are close to the airport. Best snow on earth. Best snow on earth. Best snow on earth.

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It's been a while bit the last time I was in Winter Park the coal trains woke me up all night.

19. davo

davo Contributing Member

If you can get a decent flight, you can stay in Lake Louise or Banff cheap. Lake Louise has some really nice high end options but also a couple of really cheap ones. It is also not a true "alpine village" if that is what you are looking for. Banff has a lot more going on and also has the full range of accommodation options. You might need a car to make it convenient, or look into catching shuttles to and from the mountains each day.

I had an epic day yesterday at LL - 15" of powder not bad for November

1 person likes this.
  20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

when are you going, and how many people?

Big 30% off sale on everything but your plane ticket in Canada just now. Just bought my 3 day card for Panorama (Alberta) skiing for $150 cdn.

http://www.panoramaresort.com/snowcard/

We're staying half an hour away....striking distance to several other top places. Revelstoke's good. Kicking Horse is a mecca for lovers of steep and deep.