1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sizing up the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coachbadlee, Jul 12, 2012.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I'm pretty sure some of you have missed this with all the Howard trade talks, but in the past two weeks, the Rockets have gotten bigger. We have a decent group of bigs to choose from.
    Check this out. We currently have 2 seven footers(D-Mo/J. Jordan). Josh Harrellson is a whopping 6'10 275lbs. He can actually play when given time. I'm thinking he is a keeper.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/6439/josh-harrellson

Also, if you want to use weight at the 5(250+), you can say we have 6 capable centers on the team.
    Oh, and lets not forget our secret weapon, Greg Smith.;)

All i am saying is, if there is no Howard or Bynum, there is, at least, still hope.

Thank You

2. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Nothing to worry about guys, Greg Smith is our hope.

3. Asian Sensation

We didn't endure this roller-coaster of emotions this off season to NOT end up with a starting center named Bynum or Howard.

You're welcome.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

True, but we may not have a choice.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Most suicide-inducing thread ever?

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Let's not pretend we're pegging any of these guys as the starter:

But at least J Jordan and Harrellson are worth a look at. There's worse players in the NBA at the center spot than those guys.

The irony is that a lot of people on the BBS wanted Fab Melo in the draft. If they were to take a look at what Jordan can do, it's fairly similar.
    He's still young and only been playing ball for 6-7 years total. He's not the saviour, but I think he might stick as a "3rd string bigman".

7. dragonz

dragonz Member

One team does not need 6 capable centers

8. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Maybe these past two weeks. If we're considering the offseason so far, however, we've lost our only two legitimate NBA starting centers (Camby and Dalembert). If we don't land with Howard, Bynum, or at least Asik I think it'll be a long season at that spot. It may be worth enduring, though.

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

your sig seems contradicting and invfinately biased...:confused:

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Frankly I think all these guys are decent players, but you can only have 5 players on the floor at a time, and effectively an 8-10 man rotation. It's not that useful having 15 average players, and it's not difficult to achieve either.

Having said that, I predict that Harrellson will end up being an excellent backup C for any team and will be a McHale favorite due to what appears to be a strong work ethic.

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At least you're not talking about Thabeet

12. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

jerome jordan has size, athleticism and hes a good free throw shooter, all the physical tools you can ask for!! he must be lacking in the brain department if he cant find his way onto the court

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This is good to hear. I always felt that we lacked size from our bench warmers. Looks like Morey saw a need and aggressively pursued players who could wave a towel with the best of them. Good for him.

14. Dreamshake1

Dreamshake1 Member

If there isnt a move by preseason Im back on my fire Morey campaign. We have the worst collection of scrubs in the NBA. Tony Douglas? Shaun Livingston? Damn Shame:(

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

1 person likes this.
  16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You all are calling them scrubs now, but they may end up being all that we have.
    This has nothing to do with being excited about anybody. I am just used to Morey losing out on stars and being stuck with what we have. What we have now is more than what we had last season at this time.

17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You guys are always pulling Thabeet out of your ass everytime i make a point, but check this out. Thabeet just signed a contract with OKC and i seriously doubt he will be there just to cheer from the bench.
    What do you think about that? Don't tell me OKC's management are all dumbasses and don't know anything about building a basketball team.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I can say with confidence that Harrellson >>> Thabeet. Probably should not average more than 10 mpg unless he improves tremendously.

Hill was always a basket-facing 4 playing out of position. I'd be slow to consider Motiejunas a part of the C solution. Similar to Feigen declaring Patterson our starting 5 if we started the season today or Scola playing so much center the last few years.

Haven't seen Jordan play, so I've got no clue about him.

Smith is Smith. Undersized, but has some chops. Also should stick to 10 mpg.

So I'd say we currently have a very overmatched center by supercommittee (Scola, Patterson, Harrellson, Smith, Motiejunas) splitting the 48 position minutes.

Should we remain without Howard come October, I'll hope that a new stopgap is installed to push Scola, Patterson, and Motiejunas back to the 4.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

http://newsok.com/thunder-fills-out-its-roster/article/3691739
    Even OKC's not trumpeting Thabeet as any sort of important addition to the rotation. He just got a partially guaranteed, minimum contract by virtue of being 7-1 and in marginal NBA shape.

We'll see if he beats out Cole Aldrich in camp for back up minutes.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I actually hope that Leur and Harrelson don't end up waived or traded. Those are two guys who might be scrubs but might be able to contribute as well. Maybe you end up with a guy like Nick Collison who isn't great, but gives you quality minutes.