1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Signings just to reach cap hold minimum

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Morey=Money, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't the cap hold minimum just above $40 mil? If we do not make a big trade or big aqusisition and do not sign Asik or Lin we would be far under that number.

What do you think the chances are we sign nearly reitired veterans for large one year contracts? Just to fill out the roster and meet the cap minimum.

I think this might be a good coarse of action. Large expiring contracts would be good bargaining chips (ASSETS LOL) for the trade deadline if a team decides to blow it up. It could be a way for us to snag quality players.

2. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Yeah, throw 1 guy a 1 year 15mil contract, trade him before allstar break.

3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

More likely is they would give large one year deals to a player like Lou Williams (sort of the type of contract New Orleans gave Landry last season for pretty much the same reason). Basically, a signing like that would give them the warm body at a position where we have no one anymore, would maintain their cap flexibility and would help them reach their cap requirements.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think it's either $46M or $49M. This year I believe it's 80% of the cap. Next year it will be 85% and then 90% thereafter.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

6. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

Trying to think who that so called target player could be and no one is jumping out at me right now. I am sure it will come clearer later if this situation ever arises.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Good thread! if we are also looking at good younger players to add on value contracts longer-term, Ian Mahinmi might be worth taking a look at. He's 26, he's a 6'11" center, and he's projected to average about a double-double given starters' minutes. Averaged 7pts/4.5 reb per 17 minutes. Plus, he's a good defender.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Take one year fliers on guys whose positions are of need, ideally have a team option for year 2. For instance, I'd sign a few center prospects and a few point guard prospects. If they work out, we keep them longer. If not, let them go and enjoy picking in the top 5.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Iverson, Marbury, Taylor, Cook, Head.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

If we don't sign them and cap minimum is a problem we can sign someone to a front loaded contract.

11. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

That is actually A GREAT IDEA! As long as it is a building block player.

If not matched could Asik offer be restructered to accomplish this or do you have stick with the original offer? It would make it easier to swallow that contract in the future years to come.

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Early-Bird rights dictate that you have to stick with the original offer. I don't believe Asik can be paid more than MLE in the first two years of his contract due to Chicago owning his Early Bird-Rights.

13. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I'm deadly from 2' away......

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So it looks like we have something close 15 million that needs to be spent to get to the minimum team cap. Donatas was signed, but I haven't seen any terms announced. I'd guess it is probably something like a 3 mil a year deal. Then we have 3 other 1st round picks to sign which will probably eat up 5 mil or so.

By my rough guess this leaves at least 7 mil that has to be spent. I'm curious how Morey is going to go about doing this especially since his 2 major targets are likely to be matched and we already have 8 players under contract with 3 more 1st round picks that need to be signed.

15. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Isn't Donatas still subject to the rookie scale cap hold? If so, then he should be around 1.1 for the 1st year, plus Lamb-1.6, White-1.4, and Jones-1.2. Should be roughly ~5.5 mil for all 4 of them.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nenad Kristic seems like a good one year deal type of player. Fills a position of need too so that players like Patterson, Dontas, etc. can develop properly, and not risk injury to play out of position.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Teams don't really have to sign players to meet the minimum payroll. If they're under the players on the roster get a salary bump for that season.

Something for the players, at least for the ones who don't get traded, to get excited about this season I suppose.

18. Classic

Classic Member

I would be willing to take on a contract to help the Rockets meet the minimum salary and endure all the inconveniences pro athletes are subjected to. Darrel Muarry, you can email me through the board.

19. Morey=Money

Morey=Money Member

That would be a funny way to get fans approval of the organization. Sign a fan to a one year deal and stash him on ir lol

joking of coarse

20. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

chorus*