1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(SI) Isiah blasts Magic Johnson over criticisms in forthcoming book

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Patience, Oct 22, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Agreed, but when he was known as Akeem he had some issues......he was not always a saint.

DD

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Early in his career he was a hot heated add wanted to fight all he time.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

PTI with Jackie MacMullen:

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=4586785"/></object>

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

junior high was totally sweet

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Both these guys are douchebags. At least with Isiah it is entertaining. With Magic, as Isiah definitely points out, it has been and always will be about money. There's never a moment in my mind where that guy isn't trying to brand himself and make money. That he continues to do it in a book that makes him out to be the "good-guy" while someone else is a bad guy, and to further do it in a "controversial" way in order to try and sell more books is absolutely no surprise.

Isiah always seems like he has a screw loose or two, but he is also always pretty genuine - he is what he is, doesn't hide from it even when being himself is clearly a detriment to himself.

6. tomjc

tomjc Member

everyone makes mistakes, i don't think this is the magic johnson we've grown up with (unfortunately).

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not sure how Magic Johnson can be blamed here.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think in some cases he is outright lying, or at least using 4th or 5th hand information that isn't sure is true. Those would be the cases where video evidence clearly points towards the contrary.

Moreover, it does seem callous to be courteous and friendly to someone all while you are in the middle of writing a book where you bash said person.

Clearly, Magic is looking to pimp his image and sales with this book. Should he be blamed for that? No. Most of us, myself included, would do the same. I too like to get paid.

But it doesn't mean Magic is faultless in his relationship with Isiah, which it seems like he is trying to insinuate.

9. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm very interested in reading the book.

I do feel bad for Thomas. He was an ass back in the day and a very bad GM. He thought by picking up the biggest contracts that a team would work and it didn't.

I've heard some really bad comments about Magic but I did hear a lot of great things about him as well. I actually met Magic one time. I met him at Northline Mall. He was a nice person.

Before I got into Sales for my company, I used to be a courier for them. I used to pick up at the Hope Clinics in Houston and Conroe. A lot of staff at these clinics had nothing but nice things to say about Magic. He spent a lot of money & personal time with patients.

In the end, the 80's and early 90's was a different breed of basketball. There were a lot of cheap shots taken at one another. It was probably the greatest time in NBA history though.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Interesting stuff. I'm not one for gossip, but this was as close as it gets to a real life Justice League.

The only thing I've learned between this and the Chamillionaire story is that these guys are less and less likable the more I know about what they are like in person.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Life isnt like stats, not every blasted output produced from the body needs to be put on paper for critical examination. Regardless of the truth and severity of the claims, Magic is a 2 faced ass not keeping the issues between 2 men.

This is typical celebs and athletes who've been out the limelight for many years using scandal to emerge back into the center of it. Like the Mackenzie Phillips thing. Typical "What You DIDNT Know at the time" bios

12. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I think Magic Johnson is a douchebag for publishing comments like that.

I used to think he had some class and, besides his personal AIDS scandal, I thought he carried himself with some dignity. I don't think that anymore. It is obvious he has a bone to pick with Isiah and he didn't have the balls to do it in person...so he does it in a book. The part where he throws out names of people not wanting to play on the Olympic team with Isiah...that is not his place to do that. I'm sure he told them all he was putting their names in his book as anti-Isiah. Jackass.

#32 Surfguy, Oct 23, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What's with this "I don't like him, let's don't let him on our team" thing? Sounds like juvenile stuff. And they were supposed to be professionals living a high life. :rolleyes:

14. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Gotta side with Zeke on this one.

15. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Everyone including John Stockton, Chris Mullin, Scottie Pippen...did not want Zeke on the team. Except for Christian Laetner( rookie).

Also there is alot more to this story than we know.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How do you know that?