1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] "I Will Never Forget The First Time I Paid A Player"

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by JeopardE, Oct 12, 2010.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Now ex-agent Josh Luchs in an explosive, detailed interview with SI discussing how he paid dozens of players to try to recruit them. Lots and lots of names.

Doesn't seem to be making anything up, and only five players actually tried to refute his allegations including Santonio Holmes (Santonio says he never took payments, but the other guy who met with him and Luchs confirms that Santonio claimed he was getting paid by someone). Eight players actually confirmed receiving money from Luchs.

Pretty long article but well worth the read.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/magazine/10/12/agent/index.html?eref=sihp

Excerpt:

1 person likes this.
  2. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

im sure the NCAA will go the NBA route and make him out to be a rogue type, citing he was suspended and isnt credible. sure sounds credible too me. not that its a surprise or anything that players get paid.

3. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

It'd be pretty tough considering the number of former players who owned up to getting paid. The list at the bottom of the article is pretty long.

The article does sound pretty legit. I'm sure the editors of SI had the author run down as many names as possible to confirm the story.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sounds pretty legit and there's a bunch of details regarding the verification efforts at the end of th estory.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great article....

DD

6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't think anybody can say any of this comes as a surprise. It's all a part of the sport.....an ugly side, but a side nonetheless.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Awesome article.

The Kids aren't the victims.

8. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

ESPN looking into Mel Kiper's relationship with Gary Wichard

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 12, 2010 4:13 PM ET

The Sports Illustrated tell-all article on the sports agent industry has already created a problem for one of its subjects.

ESPN tells Liz Mullen of the Sports Business Journal that they are looking into allegations that agent Gary Wichard and Mel Kiper's relationship is a little too cozy.

"We just learned of the story today and are looking into it," ESPN's statement read.

In the excellent article by George Dohrmonn, former sports agent Josh Luchs recalls a story where Wichard arranged for Kiper to call during a meeting in 2000 with Stanford defensive lineman Willie Howard.

"Gary and I were talking to Willie in Gary's office when Gary's phone rang, and he put it on speakerphone," Luchs recalls. "'Viper, how are you?' Gary said. That's what he called Mel, Viper or Vipe. 'Viper, I'm sitting here with the best defensive lineman in college football. Do you know who that is?'

'You must be with Willie Howard,' Mel said."
    This isn't the first time there have been questions raised about Kiper's relationships with Wichard. PFT wrote an article back in April about Kiper's ranking of Jimmy Clausen as his top prospect at quarterback. Clausen was a Wichard client.

In an article for the Washington Post, Kiper admitted that he's friends with many agents but denied any favoritism.

"I don't shill for anybody," Kiper said.

Kiper denied Luch's version of the Howard story to SI, saying there wasn't a prearranged call. He says he has similar conversations with players for many agents. Howard, on the other hand, said Kiper called, confirming Luch's story.

Whether Kiper's evaluations are unbiased or not, the story presents a major problem for the draft guru. ESPN must consider whether they want one of their analysts helping agent friends to land clients.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...to-mel-kipers-relationship-with-gary-wichard/

From Lance Zierlein's twitter

Kiper's ratings on Oct. 21st of future Wichard clients w/ actual draft spot in parenthesis: Clausen - 12th (48), T.Mays - 4th (49)

More Kiper ratings of Wichard clients: Benn: 18-20th (in Dec. 2009) (39), Everson Griffen: 11th (100)

Maybe Wichard is working off Mel's ratings or maybe Kiper hypes Wichard guys. I know other agents believed Kiper was in Wichard's pocket

www.twitter.com/lancezierlein

9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The Kiper-Wichard thing has been making the rounds for a little while now and this article did a good job of shedding some light on it. If anyone (who still had) has respect for Kiper and his draft ratings after this then they need their head checked.

Excellent article though. Not all NFL agents engage in the same actions but a number do.

10. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Leaf was 5k in debt at age 20?

Its pretty sad but I'd bet the over on that NOW.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I hope luch's writes a book. I don't see how he will be able to get a job anywhere.

12. tested911

tested911 Member

Yeah put that in the same Category as " Doesn't surprise me "

13. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

It's ugly because they make it ugly. These guys should be getting paid anyway.

14. JeopardE

Kind of how I feel about it. The general/typical sentiment is that "they're violating NCAA rules, so they are bad people." I don't support willful violation of the rules and personally would never get into that business for that reason, but my opinion of the entire situation is that the NCAA is equally evil for engaging in what is essentially a 21st century slave trade. I think it is outrageous for these kids to be making their university overlords hundreds of millions of dollars and not getting a penny out of it other than free classes and a tiny probability of earning a variable payday in the pros later.

The environment is designed to breed illegality, and I find the entire witch hunt very hypocritical. And that's not even taking into account the illegal BCS cartel which to this day has yet to be investigated by the FTC.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Free education/room&board/training=slavery?

I think there are a lot of African slaves sitting in the afterlife thinking "DAMN! If only I could have been a 21st century slave!"

16. JeopardE

It's obviously not outright slavery, but the equation is clearly unfair and unbalanced. Not that I have any respect whatsoever for someone like Ryan Leaf, but I think it's blatantly wrong when a kid is raking in millions of dollars in ticket and TV revenue for you every week and all you can offer him is free accommodation and classes, and meanwhile his single mother is probably two months behind on her mortgage.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Not slavery but the system certainly isn't fair, at least for the star athletes. If I'm Reggie Bush then I'm pissed that I can barely afford to take someone on a date even though half the campus is rocking my jersey. "Free" room and board doesn't compare to the $$ these programs make off of these kids, especially not when you quantify it with the hours that they WORK to play ball.*

18. Steve_Francis_rules

Which guys do you think should be getting paid? It's really easy to say that athletes are making the schools big bucks, but even on the best teams, it's usually just a handful of players that are actually the big draws. Should every player on the roster be getting paid?

And how is this different from a situation where a group of undergraduate or graduate students may be playing an important role in some research project that's making the university a boatload of money? Should they be getting paid accordingly, too?

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

If all it takes is $500/mo to 'corrupt' Reggie Bush, I can't see why some reasonable stipend couldn't be paid to all who make a division I football team. No need to pay them 'market.' No need for differential amounts.

Say 60 players at $500/month x 8 months = $250K per team. Doesn't seem too onerous for a Div 1 team.

#19 bnb, Oct 13, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

it'll never happen, although i agree it should.