1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SI : Even after long winning streak, Rockets may not be title contender

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kwng, Mar 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. kwng

kwng Member

2. kwng

kwng Member

Please lock this up, if it is posted

3. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Yeah.....and when we win our 22th game versus LA Lakers, BSPN will then say yeah they win because Pau Gasol is injured.

Same when we win the 23rd over the Boston Celtics, they will say yeah they are lucky that Ray Allen can't play.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I wouldn't give a **** what other people say after our 23rd consec win. :)

5. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

How in the hell can you acknowledge an incredible streak and NOT the team accomplishing it?

Unbelievable.

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Wow, what a totally gutsy and courageous stance to take. Major props to whoever Gail Goodrich is. It takes a massive set of stones to echo the opinions of every other basketball journalist on the planet, right? You go girl!

P.S. I know who Goodrich is, i'm just joking that your average NBA fan probably doesn't. Plus, they probably think he's really a woman given his name is Gail.

7. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

That statement basically defines the national media's view of the Rockets. We'd have to win these next 5 games to even start to change it.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Aye! Folks around here need to stop wearing their feelings on their sleeves and grow thicker skins. AFAIK, who really cares what the national pundits think or have to say or write about the Rockets. The results speak for themself: 21 straight WINS. That's W I N S for all of the people still whining over something Charles Barkley said...

9. blender

blender Member

I think of it this way: Would the following teams be considered championship contenders by the media (and us) if they went on a 21-game winning streak?

Lakers without Bryant
    Spurs without Duncan or Parker
    Celtics without one of the Big Three
    Mavs without Nowitzki
    Suns without Nash
    Pistons without Wallace

Chances are, they'd get the same kind of treatment the Rockets are getting now - that it's a great run but it'll be tough to win it all without their star player. So I don't really see it as an insult. Just predictable.

Anyway, as other posters said, why talk about the playoffs now? Just enjoy and appreciate the hustle and heart this team is showing us right now.

10. steefrancis

steefrancis Member

im glad all these so called analyst have changed their tune...dont forget not long ago when yao went out they buried us out of the playoffs, now we are almost there and now they dont want to admit we made the playoffs and want to talk trash bout us not getting out fo the first round.........this will never end until we win its as simple as that.......but hey at least we have a real good chance of making the playoffs right? give us respect where respect is due.....what happens after that is then.....

11. desertfire

desertfire Member

It is an honest assessment. But what bothers me is that people can't celebrate or at least admire the accomplishment for what it is. They always digress into discussing whether or not Houston is a legitimate title contender. The streak is one of the greatest accomplishments in regular season history. It is even more remarkable that much of it has happened without Yao. So, how do people treat such an accomplishment? They treat the Rockets as if they are imposters, as if they should have never presumed to do such a thing when everyone knows they can't win a championship.

I don't mind, if people don't think we can win a championship. We may not be able to. But Jamal Mashburn made me sick last night. Here the Rockets have done something that only one other team has ever done and he just can't wait to tear them down. Nothing they say or write can diminish what the Rockets have accomplished in their eyes or the eyes of their fans.

I will also add that the local media has been great. They, at least, get the streak for what it is.

12. cujo

cujo Member

These analysts just stating what is obvious to them. A team with just one superstar in Mcgrady after losing Yao will not likely win a championship. Wow..the guy is a genius for writing this. How about writing an article where you go against the grain and say a team with determination and pure chemistry can win it all! In the olympics less talented teams like Argetina and Greece beat the US team full of NBA superstars. Why is that?

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

you gotta understand why though.

outside of tmac, do you have another all-star caliber player or even close? even when the pistons won (technically they didn't have any all-stars then either) but billups, hamilton were putting up stats and wallace was considered to be a star player by most.

i don't expect us to win a 'chip this yr (unless they wow on the road trip), but i think we have a chance depending on who we play.

i just hate how they dismiss this team so easily. for god sakes, the spurs just lost to 3 "good" teams they face. if they were the rockets, they'd be pronounced the most overrated NBA team in the history of the L

14. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Let's not think about tittle. Right now the main thing is to get to the playoffs and than go past the first round which is key for this team and for McGrady. If Tracy could do this without Yao it would be really big.

Than we will worry about tillte, etc. Of course it is gonna be tough but you never know what may happen. Right now we need to think '2nd round of the playoffs' and than it will be time to even do more.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

honestly - part of what makes this streak so special is that we aren't really considered title contenders - let's face it, we really aren't. even on this board, only 20% think we are.

16. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

but i wouldn't mind it happening. we're the worst 21-game winning streak team in history.

i don't mind settling for the worst championship team in history :eek:

17. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

It's a disagrace to have Eddy Curry's name on the same page with the rockets article.

18. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

the reason the national media think the Rockets aren't contenders is because of obvious flaws. Most ppl drank the Blazers kool-aid when they went on a 13 game streak and look at them now. If you remember during that streak the Blazers had crazy shooting from james jones, steve blake, and outlaw...with Roy being t-mac.

Our last 2 games we have not shot the ball well but we played really bad teams.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

well, if they are right they are right ya know? But if they are wrong, it only makes it that much sweeter!

;)

20. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Exactly. And a good chunk of it has nothing to do with the Rockets. It's simply recognizing that the West is incredibly stacked with talent right now. The elite teams are truly scary this year. Even if the Rockets somehow made it to the Finals the Celts would probably be waiting for them.