1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we sign Jon Barry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by saleem, Sep 7, 2004.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I think we still lack outside shooting even after getting Padgett.
    Should we go after Jon Barry if the Nuggets decide not to sign him?
    Sura can still get his minutes at the 1 and also as a backup 2 but when we need shooting off the bench Barry could help us out.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would love to have him on the Rocks...he is an energy player, but not sure where he would play.

DD

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Seems like everyone here has wanted him for a long time, and I'm no Red Auerbach, but I'd say Sura does what Barry would do for us. Barring any more trades, we're pretty stacked.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

or when.

5. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

right after R. Gaines and Tyronne Lue are put on the IL permanently

6. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i was actually thinking of trying to get the other barry brother too thinking he would be a good addition, but i am not sure where he would play with the way our roster is now because boki needs to get decent minutes this year and we have a sg/pg backups in sura and possibly gaines

7. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Sura = Barry. So who needs Barry!:D

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I'd offer a 1 year 1.6 mil exemption tomarrow (maybe even 2-year 3.3 million the most we can offer any FA).

Barry is a lot different that Sura, Barry is clutch spot up shooter (39% career 3 point shooter) but not much else.

Sura is a very inconsistent offensively player and poor 3 point shooter, but much more explosive, athletic, creative and versitle.

Other than the fact they might compete over 1 minutes, I don't see much similarity and think Barry would be a very nice additition. He would be a great fall back if we can't depend on Boki or Sura from 3 point land, probably a 50/50 proposition.

9. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I'd like Barry, but there aren't really any minutes for him with Sura already signed, so why would Barry or the Rockets bother?

10. lytruc

lytruc Contributing Member

Jon Barry can have minutes as a 2-Guard behind T-Mac. Sura and Ward playing PG by committee. I don't see Lue here very long. He could be packaged with a PF in another deal. Weren't we thinking about T. Chandler? Pure speculation.

11. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Jon'd be a perfect fit behind T-Mac if we didn't sign Sura. actually I'd prefer Barry than Sura but now... too late.

12. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

yes, rather see the rockets use that remaining money on another back up center because unfortunatly Deke will not last a whole season...

13. cody

cody Member

NO we don't need Barry.. there is no need to have a sharpshooter getting 3 minutes a game (i.e. pike) he'll never find his touch through the season which means he'll be use less. we would love to have yao, howard and tmac kick it out to a wide open barry to nock down the automatice three (like hakeem did with kenny and mad max) but the reality of it is, he wont be in the game to get the ball...... no sense of wasting money on someone who's not going to get off the bench or IR for that matter..

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am not sure where Jon Barry would get the playing time on this roster. I think Sura has that role right now. Getting Barry would mean that Sura would get backup PG and then SF duties with Barry getting the bulk of backup SG. That would mean Nachbar would get burried on the bench yet again.

I like Barry and I like his veteran savvy. But with Sura here I just dont see the fit on this team.

15. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

His preference is to remain in Denver anyways.....