1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should we bring back Josh Smith??? He's on the trading block!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Dec 9, 2015.

?

Should we bring SMOOVE home???

1. Yes! Did you know Josh Smith and Dwight Howard were AAU teammates???

78.2%
  2. No! The Clippers series last year was a fluke!

21.8%
  1. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I'd take him. We need playmakers who can rebound.

2. SemisolidSnake

How do we use him? How do we use ANYBODY? Nobody knows, least of all our coaching. Until that changes, all "should we acquire/trade for/whatever?" threads are just reasons to type words. Not that I don't like typing words. Here are some words.

These are my thoughts on Josh, going back to very soon after he first showed up last year. His overwhelming strength compared to the rest of his talents and the rest our team is passing and court awareness. That's how we had that lob city game in the playoffs. It wasn't the Dwight-Smoove connection. Dwight can put down any lob that's reasonably close to the rim; that's about all he can do consistently offensively. Josh was the one putting those lobs in the right place every time. Before that game, he showed plenty of skill at passing as well. So, OF COURSE, we had him behind the arc shooting threes where he was completely unpredictable.

My idea was--and still is, since we didn't, and still don't, have a real point guard--to use Josh as a point-forward to run the offense. Let him facilitate Dwight dunks, open Harden drives, Brewer cuts, legitimately open threes from good shooters, and the occasional move TO the basket by himself. A lot like a volleyball setter in terms of position and options.

Of course, that will NEVER happen. I think it's an interesting concept, but our coaching and management would never try it. Too experimental (although, now that I think about it, the Clippers did this with Blake when Paul was out against us), and it would actually require some......plays and movement by the rest of our team. The theory may break down the more you hammer at it, but, last year, looking at the resources we had, this is what I came up with.

So, Josh Smith, the pretty good defender, comes back and gets placed in a poorly-fitting role once again. What do we gain from that, even if he comes cheap? A little defense and nothing offensively. What's the point?

1 person likes this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Never should have let him leave in the 1st place.

4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah... Definitely want him back, lol at having him leave over playing time, with the way the Rockets PF rotation has been he'd have been playing the whole God damn game (hurt DMo and TJ???).... Don't get me wrong I like Capella but could have essentially run a rotation of Howard/Smith /Cap at 4/5 and been better than this cluster ****.

5. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Bring him back. He will be our best passing big by FAR.

6. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

7. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Didn't know where to post this but I was wondering didn't we sign chuck Hayes back after he got cut from clippers ?

8. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HZklwTGZutc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#68 djperm, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  9. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

I hate to agree with you but I have to :)

10. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

Little known fact: Josh Smith and Dwight Howard were AAU teammates.

11. thething

thething Contributing Member

I think the Clippers would be hesitant to trade him to a Western conference contender. They might be more inclined to cut him.

I wouldn't give much up for him anyway, but I do think he would help.

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

if we had josh tossing lobs to D12, Dwight might get more than 5 attempts in a game...

13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

No we already have a team full of low IQ players.

14. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

He took less money to go to LA

15. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Harden has extremely high bball IQ.. I think that's what pisses fans off.. He doesn't apply it as often as he should

16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I think nobody has any question about Josh Smith is harder and tougher than TJ or Dmo, especially on defense end.

17. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I don't mind adding another one.

18. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

19. Fantasma Negro

Is that so? I had no idea. You would think with them playing together last season that that would been brought up about a million times by every broadcaster and color commentator at every single opportunity throughout the playoffs LoL:grin:

20. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

THAT AAU CHEMISTRY!!! :eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tbPURW4v4dw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>