1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Rockets sign Bonzi in the offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Drewdog, Apr 1, 2008.

?

Should the Rockets sign Bonzi Wells in the offseason?

1. YES

82 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. NO

114 vote(s)
    58.2%
  1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

He's a FA
    Thrives in RA's system
    Seems to know his role well.

I know he was inconsistent overall, but I like what he brought to the table defensively.

Will we even have cap room?

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

At the vet minimum? Worth consideration. Use up part of the MLE? Complete insanity. LLE? Nope.

BTW, it's been a while since Bonzi "thrived" anywhere. He is old.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

What because he spent all his time taking chances on steals and performing matador pick and roll defense.. that's what you liked?

He was an average defender one on one and a poor help defense team defender.

Offensively he has skills that are useful, but I don't think he's worth the hassle.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

If he were the same age as he was when he left Portland, we'd probably be interested. Even then wouldn't we have to pick between who to use the MLE on between Bonzi, Landry or whoever else? And Landry is actually young.

Besides just age, I wonder if Bonzi will be able to keep himself in top shape when it's not a contract year. Maybe his post game will extend his career.

5. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

he thrived in ra's system, what, twice this year. nah.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would sign him in a heartbeat if we fail to sign a shooter with size, or scorer. 3.5mil to landry, the rest to Wells. But its too early to tell what our roster will look like come preseason and where Morey wants to head going into the trade deadline w Jackson's expiring.

Don't forget Rick Adelman once traded Bobby Jackson for Bonzi Wells.

7. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

qft.

bonzi wells was a pretty horrible defender. not worse than luther, but still very bad.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Hell no. I can't believe people really miss Bonzi One-good-game-a-month Wells.

9. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

I'd rather go after Maggette when he opts out.

10. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

It's not about the money, tmac/battier deserve a better backup.

11. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Not singling out the pollster but I have problems with polls that ask open ended questions and offer just a yes or no answer.

The question would have been better if a monetary value was part of the question. Should the Rox sign Bonzi in the offseason if they have to use most of the MLE, or Should the Rox try to split the MLE between Bonzi and Landry, or Should the Rox sign Bonzi for whatever they have to pay for him in the offseason?

small rant :D

12. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

If you ak me about Bonzi I will ayways say yes but damn he will probably go after money next year

13. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

He's also insists on posting up guys a foot taller than him. I like Bonzi, but unless it's veteran's minimum, the Rockets have more pressing matters. But I do applaud his dedication this season. It sure beats last season...
    [​IMG]
    Hooray! I got to use this again!

14. Persian Rocket

I don't think there will be much of a market for him

15. nokidding

nokidding Member

I don't think Landry will get 3.5 mil. 2 mil probably.

16. ibm

ibm Member

sounds about right to me.

if bonzi can be signed at half of that price, MAYBE i'd consider a 2-year deal.

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Yeah, rihgt, some team will offer Landry at elst 5 mill.

This situation is similar to what happened with Etan Thomas. He got offered 8 mill and Landry is a much nicer on tha court than he is.

A team like Orlando would love to put Landry beside DHoward.

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I just really, really wish we had Landry locked up already. There's too many guys like Josh Childress and a few others that I would rather reserve the entire MLE for.

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

20. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Remember that the Rockets hold virtually every bargaining chip. Unless someone gives him an insane contract that the Rockets don't WANT to match, he'll be around.
    Either way, his knees give me pause. YES, that's right ClutchFans, I'm worried about a Rockets injury. I know, crazy, right? But he has a surgically-repaired knee. And he has not looked the same since he came back.
    Anyone who's had major knee injuries can tell you what knee problems mean. Knee problems mean you don't know how it's going to feel day-to-day.
    That said, I want to keep him. He's a valuable contributer, and he may yet get his explosiveness back.

But yeah, Fat Bonzi FTW!