1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should THE OATH be changed

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I mean
    Should it be more . . multicultural

What does swearing to God on a Bible
    mean to a non-Christian?

Rocket River
    . .just a question on my mind

2. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

i read that in some places, if you are an athiest, they make you cross your fingers.

btw, culture and religion are different things.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

i know but christianity is
    STRONGLY represented in american culture

Rocket River

4. insane man

insane man Member

you can take the oaths on other religious texts.

and you can also take an affirmation which doesn't use any religious texts/oaths to 'god's.

5. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would think that most people tell the truth for fear of the consequences of perjury rather than God being upset with them.

I guess they could have the witnesses put their hand on a piece of paper that clearly states the jailtime you will serve if you get caught lying.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Seems to me like a great idea. That way, there's no ambiguity about the whole thing.

As for RR's original question, I(an atheist) would have no problem lying in court if the only penalty was whatever God decides to bestow on me. If I ever had to testify in court, I'd probably tell the judge something like "I don't need to swear on anything, since I know full well what may happen if I lie, and someone finds out about it."

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

really . . i did not know that

Rocket River

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah..you can choose to swear on nothing, if you wish.

for some the symbol is important...for others, it's not. either way, if you lie you're subject to perjury charges.