1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the NBA just get rid of the eastern conference?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Tha_Dude, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

It seems like the eastern conference is more of a minor league in terms of quality, sure there are a few teams that know how to ****, but for the most part you only have 1 team that has any chance at a championship and that team is usually whatever team Lebron is on. Most of the teams from the east would not win a series against any playoff team out west.

I think maybe the NBA could contract a few of these teams and distribute the players among the remaining teams and it would help the product out a bunch. I know, in the short term this might hurt revenue but in the long term I think more people will tune in to watch games where you have more parity. What do you guys think?

2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

If ever there was a wake up call for the NBA to get rid of the Conferences in the Playoffs and revert to the top 16 teams - this coming season would be it.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

LOL, sure looking like it...for now. But it ebbs and flows. The East has most of the big markets, hard to imagine it staying down forever.

Not really a fan. If you're going to do that...get rid of the Conferences, period. The worm will turn. Already is. The West isn't nearly as deep as it has been in the past. Although getting more loaded at the top (one of the reasons it isn't as deep).

But, more interconference play throughout the playoffs would make them more interesting, so maybe I could become a fan of it.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Will never happen

5. HRox832

HRox832 Member

A better idea would be to just get rid of conferences and let the top 16 teams in the league enter the playoffs.

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'd be all for that.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Garnett/Shaq/Duncan dominance started in the 99/00 season. This coming year will make 19 seasons that the West has been decidedly better. The West is gonna continue to be better for at least the next few years.

A whole generation of players have come and gone and every kid drafted this year has never known an NBA in which the West wasn't far better. Its a long running joke.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  8. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Even in the 90's the west was the better conference. Bulls and Knicks were the only two teams in the east that were threats, the rest were tomato cans.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Euthanize the EC.

Tha_Dude likes this.
  10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it was actually 98-99 when duncan first won so this will now be year 20. i wanna say there was a year in there somewhere where the east may have actually won more games but did it more with depth than top-level teams.

i wonder what the east's best year was? probably 08-09? lebron's team wasn't built for the playoffs but won 66, the celtics i think won 60 and the magic actually won the conference. in any of the years the east actually won, were there any second contenders in the conference? maybe 2004 miami or 2006 detroit? certainly none in 2008, 2012, 2013, or 2016.