1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should the Astros pick up Biggio's option?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Sep 15, 2004.

?

Should the Astros pick up Biggio's option

1. Yes

81 vote(s)
    74.3%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    25.7%
  1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

He has not helped the team and he always wears down at the end like the playoffs.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To have him retire as an Astro is still special, and the option is not that much (2 million).

You'd like to say that due to his pretty good offensive year, he should get a spot in the everyday lineup... but, his outfield defense has been horrendous, and its only looking to get worse (for some reason).

He could be a ideal pinch-hitter, but somehow (with all his milestones), I think he'd want to be an everyday player... problem is, he'd have to probably do it in the AL as a DH.

I think Drayton will eventually pick up the option... and judging by the make-up and performance of this club, it will determine whether or not he finishes the year in the everyday lineup.

I guess i'm 50/50 about it... if he were to stay here, it would be nice to see him reach some of these milestones (as long as its not at the expense of the club...), but if he were to leave it would be bittersweet (but wouldn't damper his presence as an astro... see Olajuwon, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, etc.), but it would give a guy like Jason Lane a chance to finally prove what he's worth.

I must say, however... Bidge is our best 1st inning hitter (by far) this year.

#2 Nick, Sep 15, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Yes. He's having a great year and has been one of our best hitters.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

if he were being paid bagwell money....no way.

but at what we're paying him, he's a value. and frankly, we don't have exactly have a bunch of young players that demand to be MLB starters coming up...unfortunately.

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

At this point, absolutely

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

He has not helped the team? Please explain. His defense has been bad (especially in left), but look at what he was asked to do with no spring training to go through. Granted in their past playoff experiences he has been miserable (as has most every other hitter) yet without him, it is doubtful they would have even made the playoffs some of those years.

For 2 million, they should have already picked up his option.

Biggio can do a lot of things next year. Quality guy off the bench, mentor to Burke if he is the everyday second baseman, go back to 2nd himself, start in the OF if needed, pinch hit, etc.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

No question that you bring him back. He deserves to have a chance to reach 3000 hits in a Houston uniform. After the Hakeem debacle, I do not want to see Bagwell or Biggio in another uniform.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think it all depends on how Drayton spends his money. The Astros signed Clemens and Pettite "on credit" last year. If retaining Biggio means cost-cutting moves elsewhere perhaps more important, then I don't want to see it. If Drayton will eat the 2 mil as a sign of goodwill, then I'm all for it.

Biggio is probably worth 2 mil on the FA market. But he's probably not worth 1.7 mil more than Jason Lane, assuming we see the natural age-related decrease in his production.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Only if he does not want to be an every day player any more.

We need younger and quicker players.

DD

10. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

He's still the best option we have at the leadoff spot .

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

He's still the best option at second base.

12. MadMax

i hear ya, da da. almost every team in the league could use young, quick players.

but unfortunately we don't have a bunch of young, quick players who are major league ready.

13. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Yes, no doubt. Bagwell and Biggio have been a pleasure to watch for a very long time. Let them both retire here if thats what they want. If one of these guys are mistreated I honestly can't say if I will still be an astro fan. I think this is a typical attitude for the average fan in Houston like myself. I'm pretty sure Drayton knows that and will take care of both.

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

agree 200%

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

would it be better to NOT resign Kent and put Biggio back on 2nd and spend some money on an OF?

16. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Maybe five years ago he was, but not any more.

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I agree with you!

18. MadMax

who doesn't agree with him?

i'm the biggest biggio homer in the world, and i'd like to have younger, faster players too.

i'd also like to have the best homerun hitters in the game.

oh...and the best starting rotation.

oh yeah...and the best closer.

but we don't have those players in our system right now. again...who is it that is demanding time on the major league level that is "younger and faster" that gives biggio a seat on the bench?

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Kent won't be resigned because we'll likely put Chris Burke at 2nd base next year. He is one of our best prospects and major-league ready both at hitting and defense. Biggio's defense at 2nd base was becoming average even before his move to the outfield. I'm pessimistic about his ability to play the position again.

20. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Unrelated note...did y'all hear Bill Brown and JD mention that Todd Zeile will play catcher this Friday, when he hasn't played there since 1990? He's retiring after this year and wanted one more game behind the plate.

In a non-pennant race situation, I'd like to see Biggio play catcher, 2nd, center and left all in the same game.