1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Sports stars have opinions or just shut up and dribble?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Feb 18, 2018.

?

What's your opinion of sports stars political opinions?

1. They should shut-up and play. Only talk show hosts can express opinions

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  2. Sports stars have a lot of influence. They can even go into politics?

25 vote(s)
    92.6%
  1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If you are going to argue that athletes shouldn't talk politics you are going to have to explain to me why you should be able to.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Don't get your panties in a bunch. Your choices were wack and needs more options.

cml750 likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Of course they should be able to talk politics but just prepared for the consequences.

I think Lebron is far more successful and has done more for his community than Ingram. I thought Ingram just appeared ignorant.

4. Buck Turgidson

Saying Fox News personalities have their jobs because of their serious, well-reasoned policy philosophies is like saying The Price Is Right models owe their jobs to their expertise in consumer products.

leroy, mdrowe00 and No Worries like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The vast majoirty of Fox News female personalities are there because of their shaved legs but Laura Ingram is an entirely different beast.

Let's make no mistake about this. Laura Ingram is intelligent. She is educated. She knows exactly what she is doing(channeling my inner Marco Rubio). And that is precisely why it's more disgusting. She knew exactly how inflammatory her statement was going to be received. She is a provocateur.

6. cml750

cml750 Member

I personally do not care one way or the other. Sports stars have the same Constitutional right to free speech that I have so they are free to have and express opinions however they should realize they may alienate some of their fans and hurt their "brand" when they do this. I did not vote in the poll due to not caring for the wording of the choices.

7. fchowd0311

The Trump supporting NBA fan is not that common. Hence this D&D message board where there have been like 2 people who have admitted to voting for Trump.

Jordan had the same thought process. Though some criticized his powerful voice and clout was underutilized.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yes, Laura Ingraham is very smart (UV School of law, clerked for Thomas). In the past I found her interesting and thoughtful but seems has gone the Ann Coulter route since returning to Fox and aligning with trump (and completely embarrassed herself with what appeared to be a Nazi salute) Interesting to note that she has learned Russian and adopted Russian children... you don't think???

9. cml750

cml750 Member

ROTFLMAO, you think the political make-up of the D & D shows the political make-up of the country or even just NBA fans??? You are more delusional than I thought and that says something because I consider you one of the more delusional posters here. You really need to broaden your horizons and get out of the echo chamber because it has obviously had a REALLY negative effect on you.

BTW, I have always admitted I voted for Trump and I would do it again only this time I would do it enthusiastically.

10. fchowd0311

It's amazing that you attribute my perception of NBA fans with "all of America".

The league is the most left leaning sports league in the States. The top most recognizable athletes are all 100% vehemently against Trump in the sport. If anything, what ever Trump supporters were NBA fans a year a go aren't probably today besides a relative few.

This isn't me as some leftist cheerleader starting this. It's just the modern nature of the NBA and how politically vocal they are. It's just a statement. You can consider that bad or good.

Didn't you block me anyways? Honestly it's a badge of honor to have someone like you call me delusional and "in a bubble". I garauntee you that you've never lived and slept every moment of your life in an ideological bubble that is THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE of your political leanings for four straight years like I did(Marine infantry).

The fact you are so confrontational with me over such a benign statement completely unprovoked kinda proves you are lacking in self-awareness .

Anyways it's amazing you would love to enthusiastically vote for someone to manage the world's largest bureaucracy who has such little self-awareness to state "I'm like a really smart person" in a non-self deprecating manner. You do you boo.

#50 fchowd0311, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

never seen a political pundit grab a board or hit a jumper in the league amirite...

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

[​IMG]

ipaman and Torn n Frayed like this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

A reasonable sample size for a political poll is about 1000 people.

We have far more than that in terms of number of participants here.

So, yeah, it is actually a pretty good NBA fan barometer.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Naw dude Houston sports fans are over sampled for die hard leftists.

15. cml750

cml750 Member

lol

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I generally agree and prefer to not see it happen. But if it does, I do not have a problem with it, as long as it's done in a way that does not interrupt the sport itself. Any backlash isn't unexpected with any strong opinions that might be perceived as political or wrong to some segment of the population. The players/coaches take a risk when they speak up. Disagree or not with the opinion, if thoughtful, it's not an easy thing to do and I prefer to see no suppression of it. Disagreement is fine, but saying you should not even have an opinion is not what this country is about. Free speech is >>>> any sports image, hurt feeling, distraction...

BTW,

LeBron got his message across through his own social media channel. It was not during an NBA game or event AFAIK.

Gregg Popovich got his message across during an interview.

body slam likes this.
  17. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Everyone has a right to talk, you can either follow the talk or do not waste your time.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

So I'm I to understand that you feel that it's ok for potus to speak on issues but it's not ok for sports figures to speak on them just asking.