1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Penn State get the Death Penalty?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by underoverup, Jul 12, 2012.

?

Should Penn State get the Death Penalty?

1. Yes

85 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. No

37 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I guess a football program enablign serial child rape isn't serious enough; I guess basically the bar is now at first degree homicide.

2. Buck Turgidson

Surprised there isn't a TV ban, maybe that's something the Big10 will do.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I don't think anyone will want to watch that team of walk ons get slaughtered every Saturday...wait, I might. Yeah, the network should ban them.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Pretty crazy.

In the wake of the child sex abuse scandal, Penn State faces a $60 million fine, a four-year bowl ban and a loss of scholarships and wins dating to 1998.

At least the players aren't penalized, and can transfer immediately without penalty.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Exactly, but in this case, Penn State's punishment will puncture their football program every bit as much (or more) as the death penalty.

As someone who wanted them to get the death penalty, this more than enough IMO.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Wish they dropped a 6-8 year mandatory punishments...The 60 million dollar fine is ok with me...considering that regardless of the NCAA punishment...the civil lawsuits will destroy the university financially...plus a 14 year probationary period(the number of years that this disgusting pedophile was allowed to roam free)...I liked the vacating of wins since 98...bottom line nothing can ever restore the innocence lost by this demon...

I hope Jerry dies a slow painful death...

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Think the death penalty would have been too harsh...i agree

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Listened to the radio broadcast of NCAA President Emmert this morning.

He touched on the DP, and said that he and the committee came to the same conclusion a lot of people on here did, that it harmed more people who had nothing to do with the crimes far worse than it did anybody associated with the actual crimes, and that they specifically went to work trying to make the punishments more focused and directed at those responsible.

I have to tip my hat to them for once, they made the right call.

9. SamFisher

How does limiting the football program vs. suspending it impact a different set of people? :confused:

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Really? Unless you think the attendance at these games is going to be 0, there's a huge difference.

11. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

well if you don't have any football games everybody and everything involved in gamedays gets hurt - band, cheerleaders, fans who like watching football, businesses that cater to fans coming to State College (which is in the middle of nowhere)

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not sure it wouldn't be easier to recover from the death penalty than it will be to recover from this.

13. SamFisher

And they don't get impacted if they football team sucks and is less popular?

Oh, and by the way, one last time - screw them. I can't think of something less relevant here than "but the cheerleader will have nothing to cheer!"

14. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

They get hurt a lot less than if there is no football...fans will still come.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It still allows for parents to come see their kids in those activities...for those kids to still be involved in something. That's the difference, I think.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I don't really like the bowl bans, but the fine and reduced scholarships were certainly appropriate.

The vacated wins is an odd move to me. I understand it was to get JoePa out of the record, but the wins weren't earned against the NCAA rules. Of course every record book will contain an asterisk referencing JoePa.

17. SamFisher

What about the poor scumbags who run Bowl Organizing committees (nonprofits, of course)..they are going to be hurt by this, through no fault of their own. Unfair.

18. SamFisher

Maybe they can cheer for less kid rape for those 12 vacant saturdays a year?

Doesn't strike me as compelling.

Hell, would you even want your kids out there on Saturdays emblazoned with the colors of somethign as monumentally corrupt and disgraceful as PSU football? I wouldn't.

19. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It wasn't long ago that Penn St football sucked.

20. Major

Major Member

I mentioned this a few pages ago, but I think this depends on if you're looking at it from an administrative standpoint or an on-the-field standpoint. This might do more damage on-the-field, but I think administratively, it's MUCH easier to recover from. You can continue all that you've been doing - you'll just have worse players. It's very similar to just going through a 5 or 6 year down stretch - and they have time to prepare since they only lose one class of players at a time. This coming year, it won't affect anything. In 2013, they just won't have much of a freshman class, but freshmen wouldn't play much anyway so it's just like having a bust for one class. It's really 2014 and 2015 that they'll notice it the most, but then when scholarships do return, there will be oodles of playing time for freshmen, so it gives them an opportunity to recruit using that.

As an example, I imagine there is a waiting list for season tickets, so people either keep buying them through this period, or they lose their place in the line - so you probably still have great overall ticket sales and limit the financial damage. You'll still have solid attendance through rallying around the school.