1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should citizen statue topplers be prosecuted?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Aug 16, 2017.

?

Should citizen statue topplers be prosecuted?

1. Yes

71 vote(s)
    78.0%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. Yes, but they are heroes

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Yes, but only only for a misdemeanor

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. hlcc

hlcc Member

Of course not, I'm against such displays but it might be within the rights of the property owner to do something like that though. Removing them from government buildings, parks, schools etc seems like a much higher priority and within the legal powers of a city or state government.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And like I've said, there's legitimate historical reason to keep at least some of them up. The same reason why the military doesn't re-name bases that were named after confederate officers. Like it or not, the Civil war is part of American history and monuments where things happened or where important people from that history should remain IMO.

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

Vandalism is vandalism the law is the law and those people broke the laws arrest them .

4. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

So, you're good with, say, a statue of Hirohito at Pearl Harbor? Because like it or not, WWII is a part of American history and you believe that monuments were things happened or where IMPORTANT PEOPLE from that history should be there in your opinion. Right?

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Was Hirohito an American? Was he from Hawaii?

6. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Well, of course not, be you didn't say that statues should remain because they were from there. You specifically said that it's because the war in which they participated was a part of American history and that they were important people. So, is it the geography that's most significant?

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I actually did say that previously. Having a statue of one of those people in their home state makes sense. They were Americans after all and were important parts of American history....even if that history is not pleasant.

8. hlcc

hlcc Member

But if a city like New Orleans etc decided that they want to remove confederate statues from their courthouse, park, school etc, as far as I'm concerned that's within their right. I personally just don't think removing a bunch of statues that was created 50-80 years after the civil ended in an attempt to rewrite history is in fact trying to erase history.

DFWRocket likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

it's well within their rights for any city to remove any statue, I wasn't questioning the right to do it, I was questioning if it should be done.

10. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I have an issue with Americans that take up arms against America. Those statues weren't erected because they were great Americans. They were erected by bitter Confederate and Confederate sympathizers angry that they lost. There's nothing honorable about them in my opinion. I have zero problem with them being removed. And for the record, the whining about "erasing history" is pathetic. Participation trophies created by defeated traitors aren't history.

CometsWin likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I never said i was due to them being "great Americans", you do realize that you can memorialize history without making an ubermensch out of those from the past right?

12. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Just as you can memorialize history without glorifying them with statues.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree that statues glorify them. I'm not sure we can get past that disagreement so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

14. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed!

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  15. hlcc

hlcc Member

I do agree some of the confederate monuments do have historical significance, but I just don't see the historical value for the vast majority of confederate monuments. I don't think it's a coincidence that the vast majority of these monuments were created during the Jim Crow law era

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To be clear, I don't have a problem with removing some or possibly even most of them, I just have a problem with the blanket logic of "It's a Confederate monument, remove it" or "That person owned slaves, remove their monument or statue"

Like most things, it should be done on a case by case basis. When left unchecked this kind of idiocy goes all sorts of stupid places, there has already been talk of removing statues of Sam Houston here in Houston because he was a slave owner.....hell they might even start trying to get the name of the city changed.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think the OP has a problem with the media not saying that knocking down the statues is vandalism

That's at least what I thought when seeing it. It wasn't a big deal to me but it crossed my mind

Its not as much as they didn't call it vandalism but the reports I saw showed the people jumping and cheering without the media acknowledging it was crime