1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

short end of the scheduling stick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jamcracker, Nov 30, 2000.

1. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

We had to play the Kings and will have to play the Blazers after those teams had two days off.

After the Kings beat us, they had to play the Spurs back-to-back the next night and lost.

After we beat Blazers [​IMG], they'll have to play Phoenix back-to-back the next night.

Sucks that we had to play both the Blazers and Kings after they'd had 2 days rest, whereas the Spurs and Phoenix got to play them in the second of a back-to-back. I wonder if we'd have beaten SAC if they were on the second night of a back-to-back...

2. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Both C-Webb and Williams went out with injuries. Now why couldn't they have done that one day earlier?!

------------------
    RocketFuel is dead!

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And the Rockets get to play Denver tonight after a day's rest while Denver played at Minnesota last night. It all evens out in the end.

------------------

4. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Not really evened out. Denver sucks. We ought to beat them. I don't care how Denver gets scheduled. I'm more interested in the schedules for the GOOD teams (like SA, Pho, Por).

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

If the Rockets need to catch the good teams on the second part of a back-to-back to win, .......it doesn't say much for the Rockets ability or confidence.

Mango

------------------
    Test Your NBA Trade Ideas
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum.
    Things happening in the rest of the NBA
    2. Use clear wording for new threads.
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself as an adult.
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Donate Blood or be assimilated!

6. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I like for the team to be challenged.

Of course I like the team to win too...

can't we have both?

------------------
    There are 3 kinds of lies:

lies, lies, and heypeeisms.

-DrofDunkingDonuts

7. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

"If the Rockets need to catch the good teams on the second part of a back-to-back to win, ...it doesn't say much for the Rockets ability or confidence.

That's a canard. Doesn't say much for the Rockets ability that we lost to Celts/Clips. Doesn't say much for the Rockets ability that we could only win a championship sans Jordan. Doesn't say much for the Rockets ability yadda yadda

The Rockets don't necessarily need to play teams on the second of a back-back but it is nice, and does increase our chances of winning. The Spurs didn't need to play Sac on the second of a back-back to win, but I'm sure the Spurs thought it was nice.

Its like saying "If the Rockets only have a winning record at home, it doesn't say much for their ability." "If the Rockets need to play at home, it doesn't say much for their ability."

Your hands and feet are mangoes, you're gonna be a genius anywaaaaaay

8. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I was just thinking about it last night, and we've played some DAMN good teams already this year:

L. A. Lakers-2 times
    Portland-will be 2 times by tomorrow
    Phoenix-2 times

Right there, there are arguably the three top teams in the Pacific, and we're halfway done playing all three of them!!!

Denver on the road
    Indiana on the road
    Miami on the road
    Milwaukee at home
    Minnesota at home

Those are all quality wins against quality teams.

Given the teams that we've already played, I'm pretty pleased to be 9-7.

Our losses (that we arguably shouldn't have)
    At Clippers
    At Celtics

------------------
    Jazzkiller

9. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Well, Phoenix beat Portland. Pho scored the last ten points to squeak by 84-79.

Doesn't really same much for the Suns abilities that they could only beat Portland 2nd of a back-back.

I'm sure glad we played Portland while they were nice and fresh.

your hands and feet are Mangoes, you're gonna be a genius anywaaaaay

10. Mango

My records indicate that the Suns beat the Blazers in Phoenix early in the season and it was not a back-to-back situation:

Team Schedule: Portland

Date Against Result
    Tuesday, Oct 31 LAL L, 96-86
    Thursday, Nov 2 @ PHO L, 108-82

Keep waiting and you will find a better example to prove your point because the Suns-Blazer example doesn't prove it.
    [​IMG]

Mango

------------------
    Lets get the Mo Go working!
    3. No duplicate threads

11. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Has anyone ever seen a 'strength of schedule' calculator?

------------------
    Senior GOP strategists say privately that a key reason the Bush campaign did not ask for a statewide recount was it feared that Gore would pick up more votes than Bush, because of the high rate of ballot spoilage in black precincts. - MSNBC.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Back to Backs in the West.

Suns - 21
    Lakers - 19
    Jazz - 18
    Spurs - 18
    Nuggets - 18
    Rockets - 18
    Kings - 17
    Wolves - 16
    Mavericks - 14

I just looked at the teams that were over .500. It will be interesting to see how many back to backs the T'Wolvesd have next season!

------------------

13. Mango

The point that you were trying to prove is that the Suns had an easier go of it against the Blazers because they got them on the second night of a back-to-back. I looked at records at smallworld.com and found that the Suns had stomped Portland even worse earlier this season and there wasn't a back-to-back situation to attribute it to.

So you want to pull my tail on phrasing, eh?

There was a thread earlier this year about fans using the collective "we" when writing about the Rockets when in fact most of the
    BBS members are fans and not members of the Rockets organization proper and are not entitled to the use of "we" when writing about the Rockets. If my memory serves me correctly, it was TheFreak that drove home that point
    http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/009550-3.html

jamcracker wrote:

"How many times do I have to say it?
    Do you wish we'd spent our $2M on someone else? Is there some other guy we could've signed for the $2M exemption who would provide this rebouding prowess and interior defense you guys are all lusting after? Should we have not spent the $2M at all?

Are we worse off with Mo than without? We should be singing Mo's praises, not whining about his deficiencies. You'd rather we didn't have Mo at all, or what?

Yes. He can't rebound. Yes, I wish he could. Yes, we need rebounders.

Why whine about it?"

---------------------------------------------

So what is your position with the Rockets organization?

Mango

ps you take this BBS stuff too seriously.

------------------
    3. No duplicate threads

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited December 04, 2000).]

14. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Don't all fans refer to their team are "our team"? Is this wrong somehow?

When you say "my records", you're implying that you've been keeping the records. I assume that when I refer to "my Rockets", other reader know I'm not the owner, or a powerful member of the Rockets organization. Whereas when I refer to my records, I might be referring to some records actually kept by me. For example, my ISOmetrics stats are records I have been keeping and posting.

your hands and feet are Mangoes, you're gonna be a genius anywaaaaaay

ps i'm not really taking this seriously; i just enjor arguing on boring days. besides, you're the serious police, right? [​IMG]

15. Mango

Have to keep a special eye on members like you.

You keep beating me up about the records phrasing while never touching the fact that Portland got stomped by the Suns earlier in the season. Deflect the light when it is not favorable to your position? Isn't the scheduling theme the main thrust of this thread?

Can't say that you should be excused on phrasing if you want to keep pounding on me about it.

Mango

------------------
    3. No duplicate threads

16. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Sorry Mango. I don't wanna fight. I never should have made fun of your phrasing.

You're right, the Suns did beat the Blazers earlier in the season. So, the Suns are certainly capable of beating the Blazers even when the Blazers aren't back-back. You're right.

I still think we got the short end of scheduling stick. We'll probably never know unless someone answers Achebe's question and comes up with a strength of schedule calculator. Such a calculator would have to take back-back games into account as well as the quality of each opponent.

I was just trying to have a little fun. There are just no interesting threads today.

Can we kiss and make up?

your hands and feet are Mangoes, you're gonna be a genius anywaaaaaaaay

[This message has been edited by jamcracker (edited December 04, 2000).]

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, jamcracker's phrasing IS all messed up! Or should we blame Trey?!

18. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

"Your hands and feet are Mangoes, you're gonna be a genius anyway" is from the Phish song "The Mango Song". The crazy part is that Phish's lead singer/songwriter is named Trey Anastasio. heyp, were you talking about Trey Anastasio?

Your hands and feet are Mangoes, you're gonna be a genius anywaaaaaaay

19. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

"You keep beating me up about the records phrasing while never touching the fact that Portland got stomped by the Suns earlier in the season. Deflect the light when it is not favorable to your position? Isn't the scheduling theme the main thrust of this thread?"

My point is that the Rockets got the short end of the scheduling stick. The Suns performance in an earlier game against the Blazers has nothing at all to do with my point. The main thrust of my thread is that the Rockets Got the Short End of the Scheduling Stick.

So tell me, how does an earlier Portland/Phoenix game have anything to do with my "main thrust"?

Your hands and feet are Mangoes you're gonna be a genius anyway.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yep,

and that is a direct quote from Trey, talking about what Tom told him.

Trey first heard "mangled", not "mangoes". Then started singing "mangoes". So there! it isn't entirely non-sensical.