1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooting… Missed Open 3’s

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gfab-babyboi, Jan 9, 2023.

1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who is the Rockets shooting coach? He deserves to be fired.

Our offense generates open / quality shots … we just can’t hit them

Per: JF

“Rockets took 18 open 3s (with the nearest defender four to six feet away.) They made four of them. That's how you score 34 points in a half.”

It’s been this way all season - if it’s not turnovers or missed FTs.. it’s missing wide open 3’s

Roomba and ApacheWarrior like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets 28th, 21st, and 28th in 3 point percentage the last 3 years while being 3rd, 4th, and 9th in attempts

the Rockets need a PG, shooters, defenders, and vets to raise the overall BBIQ of the team and teach these guys how to play

[​IMG]

Roomba, Mr Woods, topfive and 2 others like this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

When I tracked the shots being generated for about 10 games we had a 77% good or great shot selection, we just don't make them.

Our entire team is filled with poor shooters.....combine that with a lack of playing defense and you get a terrible record.

DD

Yung-T and gfab-babyboi like this.
  4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

A player missing a wide open three is on the player.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is turnovers. It is shooting. It is defense. It is experience.

I expected the shooting to be better.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I can deal with missing open shots as young players because that's part of the growing pains as kids. oh and turning down open shots. at that point its a mental thing. But as long as good open shots are being taken, good players always regress back to the mean.

But It's the bad/tough shots and forced shots that need to be addressed.

The latter is a much bigger issue than the former

#6 YOLO, Jan 9, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    duluth111222 likes this.
  7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good shooting CURES all ills.

DD

YaoMac09 and JonesDaddy like this.
  8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't think any team has ever shot well enough to cure the Rockets turnovers, movement/passing, defense, and finishing close to the rim (Sengun excluded).

Yung-T and Ankara1923 like this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Now the hard question is are those shots open because the other teams know we will miss them ?

how hard are teams really playing against us ? Given we can’t hit the broad side of a hard

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The team is generating open looks, but when you have scrubs like Jalen Green and Jabari Smith taking those shots, you can't expect good results.

berkowsk and YaoMac09 like this.
  11. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Which makes me question the shooting coach- is he changing players shots and now they regress before showing progress kind of like Green last season?

Hopefully they haven’t jacked with Jabari shot but I feel they must have

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't know about that
    I know I was told it was on the passer not giving it to them in the right spot with the right amount of force with the right timing

Rocket River

Verbal Christ and YaoMac09 like this.
  13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's definitely a combination of both. Getting the ball too late (opponent defense is improving by the second) or too inaccurate will reduce your shooting %. Westbrook is a great example of this, everywhere he goes the 3pt percentages drop.

Young players commonly miss more open shots than they should, but this team has been run by KPJ, Nix and rookie Tyty. It would be illogical if the 3pt percentages weren't lower than they should be. Those are the 3 NBA players you would play if you wanted to reduce the quality of everyone else's shots. A rookie, an overweight Nix and KPJ.

Another thing that hurts shooters is inconsistent delivery. Not feeding the hot hand means hot hands are getting cold all the time in favor of "hey it's my turn to get likes".

duluth111222 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Seems to me if there is no defender within 6' feet of him (definition of a wide open 3) when he receives the ball, then the passer has already done their job.

YaoMac09 likes this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

I’m all in for Henderson but I do see KPJ making plays for Jabari but Jabari can’t shoot apparently

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Henderson would help KPJ out by giving him what we foolishly hoped Jalen Green could develop into, another playmaker on the court.

KPJ as a secondary playmaker is a much better role for him and he can actually knock down catch and shoot 3's if someone creates them for him.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Knowing this from your own research data and you are still saying Silas is the problem .... Silas sucks.... Silas must go.

Silas is getting them quality looks, 4th best shot selection profile in the entire league ...

What that tells me is that what Silas is coaching is getting thru to these clowns who can't shoot masquerading as NBA basketball players.

I hope they continue to misfire for the rest of the season ..... they can get better later, like next year later.

gfab-babyboi and Russjr2 like this.
  18. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I think it's time we accepted that maybe our young players just aren't as good shooters as we make them out to be. You can't use guys like Gordon to disprove this either because his check-out ass is still shooting as well as he has ever been with the Rockets with the exception of last year.

19. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

When the WHOLE team is missing open shots, that leads to frustration by everyone trying to make something happen. Then you have turnovers, forced shots, and bad effort. That just youth. These young’s guys being on the big stage, it is going to take them a season to get used to the NBA game. Bring in some vets to help them along.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  20. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

The solution is simple.

play harder *clap clap*