1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sheila Jackson Lee=Houston Mayor?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Mr.Scarface, Mar 27, 2023.

1. HTM

HTM Member

HPD is still gonna be worthless

Ziggy likes this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Hero? I just posted her announcement. Never said I liked her. Just said Republicans/Conservatives would lose their minds. LOL.

Unlike you, I posted without swallow the BS of someone. You still have Trump's scrotum in your mouth.

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't think that's fair. People in Houston are concerned about crime for whatever reason and so he made it his focus because that's how you win an election. You can't do anything without winning

ElPigto likes this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. I can't stop hearing about crime from all angles. It's actually pretty annoying because I really don't feel crime is terrible in Houston, but because of social media, we are so much more aware everything, including crime that in the past we would of never heard off (package thieves for example). John Whitmire hit the common talking points from the talk I hear of people that live in the City. I disagree with them, but whatever. I actually think John can be a good mayor, but as @JuanValdez stated, I am concerned about his age and if he has the energy to keep up being a Mayor.

ROCKSS and rocketsjudoka like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not to mention the shoulder thing. My wife calls it a nervous tick. I don't make fun of people's health things, but I do wonder what it is that makes his right shoulder so.....jumpy?

ElPigto likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

He isn't very likeable.

He could still advance in politics in Texas while being unlikeable, but the problem is that he has screwed over a number of high profile people that matter and he seems to think that he can just turn a leaf and all is forgotten. His money isn't enough to get that done.

Democrats don't like him and a lot of Republicans can tell that he is a self-serving fake.

ROCKSS and MadMax like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Bob Lanier ran on a similar platform.

Whitmire would be considered true-blue Democrat in 48 of the 50 states.

He isn't a wolf in sheep's clothes.... but he also isn't as far left and Jackson Lee .... but he is pretty close to where Turner was.

ROCKSS, MadMax and tinman like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

No - Houston definitely has a crime problem.

If you grew up in Houston, or live in Houston a long time, you likely don't realize that there is one - but there is.

The raw statistical data shows that per capita, Houston has a crime rate double the national average - it is far higher than the rest of the state of Texas and is actually significantly more dangerous than Chicago for example. FWIW it has a higher crime rate than NYC, Los Angeles and Dallas.

In NY and CHI there are large areas where the crime rate is nearly zero - and that isn't the case with Houston.

tinman likes this.
  9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@Nook schooling non Houstonians about Houston.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

basso likes this.
  11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Now that’s a real shame

ROCKSS likes this.
  12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not saying he's not a Democrat, but that he is a pretty conservative one.

Nook likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I don't consider him a conservative democrat - but I guess compared to Sheila Jackson Lee he is.

I have never met Whitmire, just am friends with his mentor, Richard Murray.

The tough on crime position he took in this election is sincere, he has long been someone that is hard on people that have been convicted of crime requiring actual prison terms. In the 1990's he supported increased police presence in the city of Houston, and I believe was one of the few politicians that pushed to end last meals for those on death row. He has however supported the release of some people charged with crimes where he did not believe they were guilty.

He is pro choice, pro LGBTQ+ rights, is in favor of increased funding for schooling and breakfast and lunch programs in schools and has stated that women and minorities have not and still are not treated as equals in the USA.

ROXTXIA, pgabriel and JuanValdez like this.
  14. tinman

Supporting Member

@Nook is right about Houston crime

people who pretend it doesn’t exists live in Katy or pearland

it’s obvious they don’t drive down to Toyota center

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will have to look up those crime statistic

Who opposes last meals??? LMAO what was the reasoning behind that . . beyond simple pettiness LMAO

Rocket River

16. tinman

Supporting Member

Amanda Edwards is wayyyyyyyyy nicer than Sheila

even if the OP got the hots for sheila ‘s haggard weave

@Nook
    @Jontro
    @pgabriel

#116 tinman, Dec 12, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately many things are driven by alarmism on social media. Crime has actually been declining overall in the last year. While it is still higher than before the pandemic violent crime has decreased since 2020.
    https://counciloncj.org/homicide-ot...-cities-but-remain-above-pre-pandemic-levels/

Note this is overall US so Houston could still very well have a higher crime rate than many US cities.

#117 rocketsjudoka, Dec 12, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Professor Murray is the father of my best friend growing up and I lived a block away from them.
    Not following Houston politics I don’t
    Really know much about Whitmire but I would be very surprised if someone mentored by Professor Murray would have very conservative positions.

19. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I hope he does well, speaking of crime I am in Memphis this week for work and you talk about crime and poverty, this town has it all. First night here my car (along with 20 others) were broken into looking for guns and the part of downtown I am in is probably the poorest I have ever seen. This place is a dump and cant wait to get back home

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, these points clearly make him a Democrat.
    A true Texas Conservative would:
    • Be paranoid
    • Leave it all up to Jesus, because Jesus was white

Nook likes this.