1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Reynolds is an All-Star.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Puedlfor, Jul 5, 2000.

1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Shane Reynolds(No .1 starter for the Astros, in case you're a little slow) has been named as one of the pitchers for the All-Star game. He was the only Astro selected.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/allstar00/s/2000/0705/619599.html

------------------
    Who would've thought Don Nelson would pass up Olumide Oyedeji not once, not twice, but thrice?

2. PhiSlammaJamma

How did Biggio lose? He was way ahead. I smell a rat.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

3. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Do you think Biggio deserved it? Doubt it with those numbers.

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

4. dc sports

dc sports Member

From today's Chronicle:
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/595103

...There will be three first-time All-Star starters -- San Francisco second baseman Jeff Kent, Oakland first baseman Jason Giambi and Kansas City outfielder Jermaine Dye. Dye and Giambi have never before been on an All-Star team.

Kent, who leads the National League with 80 RBIs, overcame a 138,000-vote deficit in the final week to overtake the Astros' Craig Biggio and the Mets' Edgardo Alfonzo and win the NL's starting spot at second base. Kent finished with 1,018,430 votes, with Biggio next at 964,316.

"It's probably a more special honor to be elected by the fans who you are entertaining," said Kent, who was an All-Star reserve in 1999. "That's why you play the game in a sense, outside of trying to win a championship -- to entertain the fans."

In voting through last week, Biggio was first at 452,863, Alfonzo second at 387,893 and Kent third at 314,907.

"I was pleasantly surprised," Giants manager Dusty Baker said. "This is a prime example of a person getting what he deserves. He worked for it and earned it. Nobody gave him anything."...

The math -- in one week: Biggio = 511,453, Kent 703,523 votes. I suspect, especially considering the number of votes in one week, that the internet voting might have contributed. -- but who knows.

The papers and others commentated on Biggio's defensive numbers -- so he would be deserving, even if his offense hasn't been as good. On the other hand, they interviewed him last night, and he wasn't terribly upset. He said that it was an honor, but that it would mean more to someone who had not done it before. He was looking forward to spending a week with his family.

I heard predictions of Hildalgo being our representative, for his good year. Bagwell was also ranked high. Reynolds hasn't been exactly stellar, but he's been OK, and they probably have more pitcher spots open.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited July 05, 2000).]

5. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Richard Hidalgo should be the Astros sole representative this year. No question he is more deserving than Shane Reynolds. Hell Scott Elarton is more deserving than Shane.

I guess it is very difficult getting an outfield spot but still Hidalgo is having a very good year. Hope he keeps it up in the second half.

I am personally getting very concerned about Craig Biggio. His offense seems to be going down the last 2 years. Ever since he had his record year with the doubles he has been going down. But he is still Biggio and you can't help but love the guy... A true ballplayer.

------------------
    Vice President of the Austin Croshere fan club.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Why does every team get a representative? That takes away a spot from someone who deserves to go.

No Astros player deserves to go to the All-Star game especially the manager.

If someone had to go, I agree Hidalgo or Elarton would make a better choice than Reynolds. I heard Cox chose Reynolds as a make up for a couple of years ago when Shane got the shaft.

------------------
    It's all good!

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Bogar should go to the all star game, he is the best pitcher on the astros. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker