1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SHAMS] Rockets waive Gary Clark

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jan 7, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Very succinct. Ben DuBose recent article on Rockets Wire supports this as well.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes, they'll have Early Bird rights. A player only needs to play PARTS of two seasons with the team without changing teams (except under certain circumstances).

3. YallMean

YallMean Member

I get the money part - but a team with the aspiration to win a Championship does not cut a rotation player in the middle of the season for cap flexibility. Who are we going to bring at this point? In some games, the spacing and scoring Clark provided were critical for us to win those games.

psaman17 likes this.
  4. HROZ

HROZ Member

Should've packaged him & Nene for Crowder.

A waste......

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You do know the other team has to WANT to do the trade? Not giving up a a 1st for Crowder.

D-rock likes this.
  6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd love that but the Grizz are on a hot streak lately and are now in the 9th seed and only .5 games behind the Spurs. Their fans are actually excited about how they're performing right now and Crowder has been terrific for them. It might be poor timing to get them to let him go. I've read multiple times that they're loving having Crowdr in their locker room and in practice to show those young guys what it takes.

But yeah. I'd really LOVE to add Jae Crowder to this team. A guy like him that could play both SF and PF is really all we're lacking right now.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes, they do in fact have early bird rights on Rivers.

Nook and foggy94 like this.
  8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I did like Gary though. Hope he finds another team.

9. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Oh cool, that’s pretty great. Makes a lot more sense to me now why Rivers signed that deal if there’s an expectation of him getting $8-9m next year. At least we can creat a mid-tier salary that way for trade purposes next year. I wish we could have brought back Faried on a min too in order to do the same with him (better than having Tyson or Nene) although I know Kelly Iko has reported a couple of times he became a problem in the dressing room

D-rock likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I am a fan of Clark, and although this is a fair point, i think the problem a lot of people have with this is that this move just smells like another one dictated by the process of avoiding the tax over and over again, if we would be in the tax already, now we would've more salary to move (like Patterson from the Westbrook trade for example), maybe more picks/players (from the Shumpert trade), at least one more decent player to trade or keep to replace another guy getting eventually traded (Clark), instead we're still wasting/throwing away assets that could help the team for nothing.

I agree that Clark wasn't exactly the difference between winning the chip or not, Thabo isn't either for example, and between them it's clear who has more value as a player/asset, like it's clear who has a fully guaranteed contract that has to be traded in order to save money, while the other can be just cut.

Remlap likes this.
  11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

What lying? I must be missing something. Granted, I’ve been pretty tuned out this year.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FWIW, I doubt the team would re-sign Rivers to a big deal JUST to be salary fodder. He won't be much of a S&T candidate due to BYC rules, so re-signing him would be a strong financial commitment without any assurance of a later trade materializing. Hence, IMO, they'll only re-sign him if it's for good value to the Rockets. (I have doubts that there was any sort of wink-wink deal with Rivers last summer.)

D-rock and ElPigto like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Too lazy to look it up unfortunately but he says one thing to the media about doing whatever it takes, and acts the other way, mainly when it comes to spending money on role players.

He also never presented a formula how to win a ship and how to invest accordingly, has been either loud or too secretive.

Also this charade of paying or not paying MDA, giving him no security but still riding out his contract. You treat players like that but you shouldn't treat old man MDA this way.

Maybe I'll get to it later.

#273 daywalker02, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Oh no worries. Yeah I know he said that stuff. What I don’t agree with is that cutting Gary Clark shows an unwillingness to pay for good players, because Clark isn’t one imo.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can start with this

Gray_Jay likes this.
  16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Eric Gordon is going to be very difficult to trade this summer or moving forward. Not saying we are looking to trade him but he’s actually promised quite a bit of money for someone who is undoubtedly declining.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Gary isn't useless, he plays D but his O isn't good, so a one trick pony.
    Maybe they pick him up again later.
    It is not his fault that the bench is bad.

We haven't drafted for ages, there is no good, young talent following.

This whole refusing to go through the draft, isn't sustainable IMO.

18. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Exactly our last 1st round pick was back in 2015 for Slam Dekker. We haven't drafted someone in the first for almost 5 years and probably won't be drafting another one this year due to a trade (or LTS). UNSUSTAINABLE.

What's even more remarkable Morey has been finding hidden gems with his 2nd rounders since then. Montrezl, Dillon Brooks, DeAndre Melton the other two 2nd rounders were Zhou Qi and Onaku. We are hitting 60% with his second rounders. Imagine if Morey had firsts to work with!?!?!?

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  19. Rocketman03

Rocketman03 Member

Definitely trying to acquire someone before the deadline. Hate to see Clark go but for some reason I can see him a Rocket again in the future. His length on D and 3 point shot making capabilities is exactly what this team needs. Never really got a chance to fit into the rotation this year. I blame D'antoni. He better load up on some D people before the play-offs.....

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He’s never been able to shoot. He’s been the sand player his whole career so not sure what you’re expecting from him. He’s played with both the stars and has a lot of knowledge and is battle tested. He’s been deployed situationally to guard those super 3 types (PG, Leonard etc). He’s still a solid defender and scrappy. I’m sure this is the reason he’s on the team and more valuable than Clark as the team determined. Some things are intangible or not seen publicly. We will never know how and why decisions are made.