1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seventh Democratic Debate JAN2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DreamShook, Jan 14, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I'm glad somebody gets it and is not playing the victim.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wouldn't be so sure about that Jigg. Ann Althouse:

The people who voted for Trump are real. They are not despicable or "deplorable." They are voters in a democracy, and democracy — crazy though it is — is our beloved system here in the United States of America. We're wedded to it, for better or worse, and I'm trying to make the best of it. There's some wild excitement and there's some serious work to be done. I don't want any more chaos than is needed to claw through the days to the next election. Let's have an election, not a kooky congressional extravaganza. I need Pelosi and Schiff and these various Congress critters to shrink back into their place and let the presidential candidates have the stage. Let's be normal.

I am not a Trump fan. I voted against the guy. I have voted in 12 presidential elections, and in 9 of them, I voted for the Democrat. In the 21st century, there have been 5 presidential elections, and I've voted for the Democrat in 3 of them. There have been 2 Presidents in the 21st century who have won twice and neither of them did I vote for twice. I am a true swing voter (in a swing state). All I want is a very competent, reliable, sensible, good person who can handle the presidency. I don't want your ugliness and hysteria. I don't want to see my fellow citizens cranked up into a frenzy. The very reasons I voted against Trump are getting cooked up into reasons to vote for him — by you, you idiots.
    https://althouse.blogspot.com/2019/10/what-i-cant-figure-out-and-what-really.html

da_juice, Corrosion and Astrodome like this.
  3. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Biden -- Sounds like the most focus group tested speaker in the room. Unfortunate for his handlers, Joe's brain kept short-circuiting and he kept choking on his own words. Most of his ideas are are continuation of the Obama era. If only Joe could roll everything back a decade so we wouldn't have to deal with the sad reality that you can't see his eyes anymore when looking at him directly.

Sanders -- Reminds you of a tough outspoken union boss about to lead a strike on everything and everyone like an elderly Jimmy Hoffa -- the Nicholson version. Medicare for all, free college tuition, free childcare for all, fair trade deals -- enough audience giveaways to make Oprah blush.

Warren -- Smartest person in the room. She was well-prepared and has a reasonable sounding plan for everything. However, she can't emotionally connect with the audience. Her Cylon training makes it hard for her to become president Roslin.

Buttigieg -- The Kennedy candidate; young, handsome, quick-witted. Plus, he has the presidential voice -- you know that mesmerizing rhythmic tone that sounds resolute but also endearing, strong but not offensive, and makes you simply want to buy up all his audiobooks so you can fall asleep easier.

Klobuchar -- She's all about that midwest base, 'bout that base, no dixie rebels! Actually, she came across as a legitimate candidate. One who could unite all the different factions under the democrat party umbrella and rally them back to 1983. Every place, every race, every breath you take, she'll be watching you!

Steyer -- Ghoulish-looking Tony Stark decided to buy a presidential campaign, but climate change instead of weapons manufacturing. Because why not? The world is already burning and Australia now has fire tornadoes so might as well use the hottest topic as you number 1 priority. Meanwhile, keep telling people your fortune from hedge funds had no real contributions from climate change responsible industries. Sounds more like Justin Hammer minus the funky dance moves.

#123 ghettocheeze, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I have to come to agree with about 5% of her notions or even more, which would have been unthinkable to me when you first started posting her stuff here. She used to come across like Ayn Rand, but I digress.

In this case, I'll still never understand this argument. And it really does go like this.
    1. Ignore any run-of-the-mill democratic voters who turned out in 2018 to change the course of the House of Reps. Their views on the president's possible misdemeanors don't matter.
    2. I'm annoyed that impeachment is going to be unpleasant, no matter what the actual facts are concerning the president's behavior.
    3. If you annoy me enough, I'll ignore actual candidates for the most important job in the world and just vote out of spite because I don't like how some people in Congress behaved!
    4. So there!

It. Makes. No. Sense.
    That is not to say I doubt it is a real phenomenon. :D

jiggyfly, RayRay10, da_juice and 5 others like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The urban minority voters who vote for Democrats aren't slaves to the Democrats. They aren't thugs. They aren't communists and Muslim terrorist sympathizers.

Major and Nook like this.
  6. fchowd0311

I never get the argument about voting for a unhinged idiot because random internet people were mean to you.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The squeaky wheel gets the grease and her moderation isnt going to get the type of attention from the media that the far left candidates generate.
    You have to realize that sensationalism and outlandishness is what is going to grab peoples attention - Just look at AOC for an example. Klobuchar might be the best candidate but she's not the candidate anyone is talking about.

I really have to wonder if Mayor Pete would be relevant in this process if he weren't gay.

That's not to say I don't like him , just that he doesn't really bring anything to the table that other candidates do in terms of policy and the fact that he's much younger than the rest - The only other quality that separates him from the field is being gay.

Basically Pete is a younger Biden .... who happens to be gay.

baller4life315 likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

CNN was hyping up warren as the clear winner last night. I thought Bernie was ok during the last half that I watched. CNN has a unique perspective.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I thought AK-46 won.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Except .... Obama has really done nothing to help Biden. He was out stumping for cash for Warren ?

I get the idea that Obama would prefer another candidate over Biden and the only way Biden gets his endorsement is if he wins the nomination on his own.

I think Biden's getting more help from Pelosi than Obama at this point.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Biden gets support from black people because he was Obama's VP. The Proximity to Obama for 8 years is what helps Biden with older black people and nothing else; they think he is the safe choice.

I agree with everything you are saying. Obama was even trying to get Biden to not run because he knew his record would be on trial too.

Also all of Obama's old staffers have censored Warren.

#131 DreamShook, Jan 15, 2020
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

According to what I've read thus far today , Klobuchar had the greatest increase in "Electability."

As for Warren and Sanders .... I don't much care about their petty squabble , its pretty meaningless. Lets talk about things that do matter ....

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Obama's coaching tree is not looking good. Clinton and Biden are both Bill O'Briens.

Meanwhile, Sanders is sneaking up there like Andy Reid and might just finally win the big one.

#133 ghettocheeze, Jan 15, 2020
    da_juice and B-Bob like this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Could you imagine Obama claiming Hilary said she told him the nation isnt ready for a black president all the while claiming its time for a black president.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

audio enhanced

B-Bob likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yep. Crazy juice-cleanse aunt CONFIRMED.
    Love the interruption by the way.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bernie should say Warren is really calling him old because only someone old would still think women can't be president

18. fchowd0311

The respect I had for Warren is evaporating so quickly.

da_juice and B-Bob like this.
  19. Major

Major Member

This seems ... shallow. For starters, his military experience and ability to connect on faith issues are two things that stand out from just about all the other Democrats, which gives him the ability to reach audiences none of the others can. He also has a unique ability to acknowledge viewpoints different from his - and disagree without demonizing or being disagreeable. Those are generally considered pretty useful skills in leadership.

I'm not sure why he would be expected to be different from everyone else anyway. You could easily say "what does Biden bring that Pete doesn't, besides being older and straight". Or what does Klobuchar bring over Biden besides being a woman? All of these candidates are similar to others in the race because there were about 15 people running and there aren't that many different viewpoints.

ElPigto, jiggyfly and da_juice like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

Sounds like you have a pretty low opinion of black voters.

jiggyfly likes this.