1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seventh Democratic Debate JAN2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DreamShook, Jan 14, 2020.

1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It's one thing to say Biden isn't it because he is crazy Uncle Joe. It's a surface level critique. There is no substance. There is no explanation WHY. Then in the next hour they will say Joe is the safe pick.

I'm frustrated because I know exactly why Biden has his support. Biden has been touted as the best person to go against Trump by all the news outlets. Biden is Obama's VP. That's it. That's the steel wall.

arkoe likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This just isn't true. They go into his record on the crime bill and Iraq constantly. They talk constantly about how his support isn't exciting people and you need to excite people to win. It's constant.

Basically all of their non-host analysts go after Joe Biden.

jiggyfly, KingCheetah and Nook like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t know if Sanders is a misogynist or not. He either said it or he didn’t. If he said it and it was taken out of context, then he could have explained it and he took the position that he never said it.

So now that we know his position is that he never said it, and her position is that he did say it - voters can decide.

I am not however going to jump to a conclusion as to whether he did or didn’t say it. I suspected he said it and it was taken out of context; but is position is he never said it at all.

4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You guys keep on talking about these shots. Where are the shots? Bernie basically said Warren's base is white and rich and she can't expand her base. Where is the shot? Isn't it the truth?

Sanders didn't withdraw against Clinton because the DCCC rigged the primaries. Then he went on to campaign for Hilary after he lost with 30 rallies. What else is he supposed to do?

5. justtxyank

"rigged the primaries"

Such nonsense

6. justtxyank

If Biden wins this primary will it be rigged again?

Nook likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He was hoping someone who repeatedly labeled herself a friend of his would bring forth context at the debate stage and instead rolled with the accusations and went on a high horse about how women make batter candidates.

Sanders trying to put context behind it is just going to rile up all the "Vote for Her" demographic in a hissy fit because then they are going to claim that Sanders is trying to justify his "misogyny". Only Warren could have properly expressed the context. Very slimy of her part especially knowing that her staff leaked the private convo which makes it obvious that this was a calculated move on her part to get the national media to paint her main proggresive rival as a sexist.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah. She straight up lied about another candidate.

not sure why she thinks women are ok with lying (other than the fact that they were on with trump 4 years ago).

my wife doesn’t really like her either. She gives off a very bad vibe.

9. justtxyank

My wife can't stand her but it's important not to project your own feelings onto the voting masses.

We can say she lied but does that really matter? We are in a post truth era. Do people really care anymore whether what they say is "true?" Accusations hurt and most importantly it gave her a good tv bit in our era where all anyone cares about is a good highlight.

10. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

If Joe Biden wins. I'm voting for Joe Biden. Just like I stood in line to vote Hilary Clinton when I live in Texas.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Perhaps, but my stammering impediment is more noticeable in different situations (for example, large group settings) while in other situations its barely noticeable at all. Even after years of speech therapy and public speaking courses in HS and college. In one-on-one or small groups people think I speak well. Limits what jobs I can do, and even what I can do in my current job. Also limits what I can do in non-work situations (eg. I can talk in small groups at church, or teach small classes, but can't get up in front of the congregation).

That all said, I also completely understand concerns about Biden (and other candidates) age. In fact, early on I made what could have been perceived as ageist remarks saying I wanted younger candidates... trump, Biden, Sanders, and Warren all seem old. And note Biden, Sanders and Warren are not among the candidates I have been favoring throughout.

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. justtxyank

That isn't what I asked.

The "rigged" complaints are weak man.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3443916

jiggyfly, joshuaao and baller4life315 like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

The smears were about her electability.... which fits right into what she claims he said.

He either said it or he did not. There isn’t an issue of context because he claims he never said it.

Sanders has a history of claiming he is taking the high ground and then sending his operatives to do the opposite.

Voters can decide who they believe. I am not dismissing the possibility he did say it.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The thumb is on the scale. I'm not out here trying to be conspiracy theorist. The DCCC has favorites and they do what ever they can to get those people elected. I'm all for voting for the lesser evil.

15. fchowd0311

The "electability" attacks come from polling data. I expect candidates to take advantage of polling data that says they are more favorable against Trump then their primary rival. How is that not within reasonable grounds to tell potential primary candidates? I expect Biden to do the same by showing polls that he's more electable in a general election.

That is no where near the realm of leaking a story painting Bernie is a sexist and then going on the debate stage and rolling with the accusation and not providing any context.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Bernie said she won't be able to expand her base because her base is largely white and rich because that's what the data shows. Warren came with the Bernie hates women nuke.

17. Nook

Nook Member

So your position is Sanders lied when he said that he never said it?

Also I don’t want to hear how slimy it is when it was 48 hours after Sanders had broke their pact and had his operatives going at Warren.

It sucks on both accounts but your use of “hissy fit” about Warren supporters is interesting.

joshuaao and subtomic like this.
  18. fchowd0311

Let's see: using polling data to show that you have a better chance of beating Trump in a clgenwrsl election

Leaking a private conversation about Bernie saying that women can't win a presidency and allowing the national media to marinate the label of "sexist" towards Bernie, and then going on the debate stage and not providing clear context and rolling with the narrative that he is and going on a high horse about how women should be the preferred choice because of sexism.

No, they aren't equivalent at all.

19. Nook

Nook Member

She leaked what she claims he said to her.

She doesn’t need to provide context. She point blank said what he said. Sanders had every opportunity to provide context through a press release or at the debate. His position is that he never made that statement - so context is irrelevant.

Voters can decide if it is important and whom they believe.

20. fchowd0311

Yes she absolutely needs to provide context. If Bernie is claiming that there is a toxic misogynistic base of Trump voters and he brings that up in a private convo with her, that is important context to put forth or else everyone is going to take it as "oh he thinks a woman can't be president" when in reality he is claiming there is a toxic misogynist subculture in parts of our country which SURPRISE! many feminists and Warren supporters also believe.

So essentially she is framing a argument that she has made herself and many of her supporters have made themselves as sexist when it comes out of Bernie's mouth.

That's disgusting dude. To say that context doesn't matter is absurd. You're smarter than this.