1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seventh Democratic Debate JAN2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DreamShook, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Well.. medicare isn't much different. My parents are on it. Do some research on the medicare donut hole. You might be screwed either way.

jiggyfly likes this.
  2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I don't mean to make this a "woe as me" post... and maybe I'm in the wrong...but I feel like there has to be a better way. I've got friends with diabetes- people with Masters Degrees and Doctorates- spending thousands on insulin. As I mentioned before, I need a cocktail of drugs to keep me alive.

I'm sure it would be expensive to cover all that. But here's what people forget: by law if you go to an ER and can't pay for it the govt covers it. Like most things- if you're not poor rnough to be completely broke and not rich enough to pay it off you're trapped in debt (which is honestly what the governing class wants).

But here's the tthing... it comes down to societal costs.

I've been suicidal since I was 9. I've worked jobs and paid taxes. In an ideal world I can probably be a productive human being who contributes positive to society. Except I cannot afford my medication. I'm fortunate my parents can...but I'm to the point that I feel guilty enough that they're funding me to keep me alive that I'm ready to kill myself (and no; I'm not exagerrating that ****; I've done the math I am worth ALOT more dead than alive). I've held jobs that paid very, very well. I'm not (despite what GOP propaganda says) a lazy disabled person sitting around; I'm a contributor. But I can't contribute without my cocktail without antidepressants. Because without those drugs, I won't eat. I won't bath. I won't get dressed. I'll literally sit in bed for 1 days until emergency services come and charge a hundred thousand dollars to take me to the hospital and give me an IV and force me to function.

And I'm not making that up. All of that has happened to me. I get it's tough to accept you're paying for someone else's med but ask yourself...if you're a real fiscal conservative...would you rather pay a few dollars per day to let me function, go to work, be productive, and spend money in the economy...or rather spend a **** ton of money for emergency services to spend a fortune on saving my life when all I wanted to do is die (which by the way you can thank your friend Reagan who changed the law).

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm convinced the conservative solution is to let all the poors and mebtally ill join the military...I'm constantly pointed out by others that I can get health insurance by being a grunt (great policy; giving every bipolar mfer a gun).

Thats the ultimate goal of the GOP. Gut everytging but the military so everyone but the rich kids can die overseas

4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Except the military won’t take you if you have a diagnosable mental condition before entering. Hell, when I went through basic way back when, I got to tech school with my roommate and he was kicked out because they found out he took Ritalin for an ADHD condition (didn’t tell them before he got there).

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Major

Major Member

This is where our medical system is really inefficient, but there are often solutions. Your insurance doesn't cover Lexapro, but GoodRX does. You can get a month's supply under $10 pretty much anywhere:

https://www.goodrx.com/lexapro

No limits or anything.

pgabriel, Hakeemtheking and da_juice like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I actually laughed at the grandmother line it was unexpected and funny.