1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serge Ibaka on Trade Block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 13 in 33, Jan 30, 2017.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure he is so inclined (see article below), but never know if MDA can do his player whisperer thing like he did with Amare and Marion. D'Antoni got those 2 to believe playing out of position was a good thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/why-the-thunder-traded-serge-ibaka-055837006.html

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Ok so Brewer and KJ for Ibaka? :cool:

DonKnock likes this.
  4. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

LOL...nearly 50% from the field and 39% from 3...still an above average rim protector and a familiarity with James Harden. Sounds good enough for me.

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

So you think he's lying and the league is lying about his age. Bwhahaha off the chains.

He's going to get more than what Brewer got. The market value is totally different. I will say around 20 per year.

6. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Will never be a Rocket. Morey won't have all those mid range shots

#106 ksny15, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    ramotadab and rocketsfan611 like this.
  7. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

It's widely speculated he lied about his age during the draft and such to appear much younger. Especially since the Congolese have a history of doing exactly that to increase potential profit.

Vivi likes this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

His career numbers certainly look like a guy who peaked 3 years ago.

Vivi and D-rock like this.
  9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hope he sounds food enough for a championship, because you trade and resign him that's it. No more improvement
    possible.

Vivi likes this.
  10. touring_low

touring_low Member

Ibaka is definitely not his age, definitely looks older and I can say the same for Biyombo. Can't tell u how many Africans I've heard of who change their age just to be younger. *I'm African, that's how I know but I'm not one of them lol*

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

kay, I guess we'll have to settle with signing two of Lowry, Durant, Curry,

ramotadab likes this.
  12. CallMeTheDream

I did a trade identical to this(minus Llull) in my rockets MyGM 2 days ago in 2k and am using this same starting lineup. I also threw in a first and received CJ Wilcox. Since this trade we're undefeated btw ;)

ROXonROXonROX and ramotadab like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

theres no such thing as age, its only a number in your head

ramotadab and BigMaloe like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i'd thrown in a second rounder and rights to joomba

robbie380, DonKnock, BigM and 4 others like this.
  15. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I don't necessarily buy in to this thought. While I surely think it puts a strain on future deals and signings, while putting emphasis on having our cap pretty much spent. We still have room to improve.

But I do agree with you, morey would be thinking about the future ramifications of type of trade and how it's hinders our ability for top end talent later on.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If he's elgible to be traded, Morey will consider anything.

17. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

I think if the price is right - you do it. If you only lose minimal pieces and a future pick for a rental, so be it. Harden still has plenty of his peak left but he's also not getting any younger. The team is looking like it's heading in the wrong direction right now, it's pretty clear we need an injection/trade to get things rolling again. Ibaka when playing well is a fringe all star talent. I think he'd cause the Spurs and Dubs a few problems in the playoffs if we faced them, he would improve our dynamism and provide more shooting and rim protection.

If we could acquire a young talent like Hezonja as well it would make the deal even sweeter.

Harden - Gordon - Ibaka is a hell of a core to build around, especially in this system (assuming Ibaka can return to some kind of form and show his OKC play). I think if we acquire Ibaka and he plays well, Anderson may be the odd man out only because of his contract (because Morey will be looking to trade or make room for a legitimate 2nd star for James).

BigggReddd and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  18. hakeemthagreat

Classic example of our fans grossly overvaluing our players. Ibaka is a CLEAR upgrade over both Dek & Trez, and I like both players too

ramotadab and RudyTBag like this.
  19. thekad

thekad Member

You're not just comparing talent. You have to look at money, length of contract, value, and the Rockets position relative to the rest of the league.

Are you okay with a 4 month rental that doesn't actually move the Rockets into the conversation with the Warriors? If Ibaka isn't a rental, are you okay with a max or near-max contract, for a player who might be heading into his mid-30s and is already declining?

Vivi likes this.
  20. hakeemthagreat

You don't think the Rockets can compete with GS w/ Ibaka? We've already shown we can compete NOW. The way the Rockets are shaping up this season there is virtually NO WAY Ibaka doesn't resign here. This is the perfect situation for him. Not only that but he adds to our defensive tremendously, the main area we need help at

ramotadab and hakeem94 like this.