1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serge Ibaka on Trade Block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 13 in 33, Jan 30, 2017.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/new...agency-frank-vogel/16rdj7sz8sk3r1jsfa86wms5i7

In the West, the Rockets (4-7 in their past 11) have been looking for a veteran, defensive-minded big man for much of the year. Because Ibaka can shoot 3-pointers, and is a former teammate of point guard James Harden, there has been speculation that the Rockets will make a push for Ibaka, too.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Party pooper!! Have you forgotten that Maury is the god of signing RFAs? No one has a chance to match when he sets his sights on a player. :D

Mathloom likes this.
  3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Not sure if that will help us attract free agents in the future...o_O

In Morey (grabbing) we trust...:confused:

4. thekad

thekad Member

Honestly not sure how old this guy is and that definitely impacts how much you will give up for him.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Would the Magic like the classic offer of Corey "51 points" Brewer and bench-heater KJ?

Ibaka would be a good fit here though as long as he doesn't demand a huge salary (which he probably will) when he becomes a FA. He can shoot the 3 and brings defense, rebounding and blocks. He's got hops too. I'm sure D'antoni can bring out the best in him. I'm sure Anderson wouldn't mind coming off the bench with Gordon. Heck, you can even play small ball with Anderson or Ibaka at the 5.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I'd rent him for a Championship

Rocket River

ramotadab likes this.
  7. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Brewer, kj, bobby, ennius,

8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Magic gonna Magic

Trade an upcoming two way guard in Vic Oladipo for Serge Ibaka and then turn around and trade Ibaka for some scraps

[​IMG]

9. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

spankz141 likes this.
  10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Magic knows Ibaka going to walk in off-season, they have no leverage. They'll deal him quick for the best deal out there. But, since we have Harden, he can talk to him first and try to get him here. He'd make more money in Texas than in Toronto (the other team that wants him) and his best man Harden is here.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lol at people making proposals not including anyone good going to Orlando. I am guessing Sir Jibaca is gonna cost something like Dekker + 1st round pick at least.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not only did they trade Oladipo (quality young SG soon to be RFA) but they also traded the 11TH overall pick and Illyasova (who I personally think could have netted a couple of seconds or a late 1st).

Just absolutely mind blowing they would do that deal just to turn around and sell him for cheaper. Makes no sense, but so does having Biyombo, Vuc, Ibaka and Gordon on the same team.

Bet they are asking too much, doubt we give up too much for a expiring.

Also, Ibaka isn't a great rebounder and IMO he'd be mostly a center in MDA's system. We need to up our rebounding big time and going long term with a mediocre rebounding C is a bad idea IMO.

His shot has been respectable in recent years, pretty damn good this year ... but Ibaka isn't a natural shooter, and I don't think he can take Andersons role on offense. How much is Ibaka needed here when we have Anderson, Harrell and Clint? How much does Ibaka upgrade this team and is he worth blowing our cap on this off season? I don't see it.

#92 ThatBoyNick, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i thought he'd be our most likely FA acquisition this summer given his relationship with james, and our need for a rim protector.

if he's on the block i wouldn't want him to end up with another team and eventually signing an extension with them before we can get our hands on him in free agency. o, while it doesn't always make sense to trade assets for someone you can just sign this summer, in this case its worth it.

some combo of: brewer, KJ, ennis, maybe even harrell or a pick could be needed to be the highest bidder. but i'd love to finish the season with:

capela-nene
    ibaka-ryno
    ariza-dekker
    bev-gordon
    harden-???

i think thats a team that can get back to the WCF.

14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I think if we were to acquire ibaka, he would strictly be the starting 5. But him back next the rim where he used to be great and spread out 5 wide on offense

#94 BigMaloe, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    D-rock likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

But he needs to re-commit to defense, rim protection and rebounding. Not sure if he is that player anymore, more of an offensive player these days. And it didn't just happen overnight, he was already becoming that kind of player with the Thunder way before he was traded.

Vivi likes this.
  16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

If Brewer can be unloaded in the deal sign me up!

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Which is why I stated he had to agree to his role. Rim defense and PnR/PnP

Mr.Scary likes this.
  18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Isn't Morey a Trump supporter?

That grab might not go over very well in trade talks..

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He might just re-commit to defense, rim protection and rebounding if he came here. Of course, he might just jack three-pointers, too. I remember him last season saying to Billy Donovan, "No more fake four," or something like that, not liking his new role away from the basket. But who knows.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Morey's a Republican. Don't know how much he likes Trump, though (but he probably admires Trump's brazen flouting of rules and convention).

Please no one take that as praise for Trump.

DonKnock likes this.