1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Serge Ibaka on Trade Block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 13 in 33, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Brewer is younger than most of us. :)

Vivi likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Be specific. Who do you think we have to give, because I'm saying we don't have to give up anyone.

But yeah, I can't argue against your logic that we can have our cake now(trade for little assists) and eat it later too (sign Ibaka in the summer).

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

We have zero chance

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

- To remove Brewer from the team and payroll.

- It's conceivable we advance an extra round, so more playoff experience for everyone.

Any word on Ibaka's true age?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

zero chance like Troy Daniels was waived?

ramotadab likes this.
  6. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

if another team thinks half a season of ibaka is worth young players AND picks then good for them. I think it's an either/or proposition.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, i too think he was really great 2/3 years ago, his defense alone was making a huge difference against the Spurs in the playoffs, but that regressed year by year, in fact a lot of OKC fans started to get tired of him and were really happy with the trade they made in the offseason.

About the age stuff well, obviously nobody knows 100%, but when those rumors start coming off eh...

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep you're right, i just read it bad.

9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Brewer/trezl/1st for Ibaka

works on trademachine

fallenphoenix likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, i definitely agree.

And even though i'm not a fan of Ryan, i think i would not trade him for Ibaka as today...

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

we need to develop stars within... enough with star chasing!

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I guess a package centered around Brewer as the salary filler could work.

I'm super reluctant to throw either Trez or Dekker in there. I think they both have upside as if not everyday starter, really really good off the bench players.

If Harden really pushes for something like Brewer/Trez/KJ/draft pick, then I'd be ok with it. You would get salary cap space in the offseason if you don't want to re-up Ibaka.

13. Remlap

Remlap Member

[​IMG]

#53 Remlap, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    Crashlanded19 likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

But does Morey have the ammo to close the deal is the bigger question. If Harden wants Ibaka then no doubt Morey's made the call.

15. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

Wait, just remembered Ibaka will be an unrestricted free agent, so I say don't take the risk, no point in giving up young talent just for Ibaka to leave during the summer...

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's also true.

Personally yeah, i think the most i'd give up is basically what your saying here, maybe taking back Hezonja. I would definitely NOT trade Sam or Clint here...hell i wouldn't trade them for Millsap which is definitely better than Ibaka imo...and still, i'm not sure trading Trez is the right thing to do...

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Double post

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I agree that it doesn't make sense to trade anything very significant for Ibaka since we would only have the best package if he tells other teams he's signing with us.

Well if he's signing with us, then why trade anything for him. What we trade should equate to the value of signing him a few months earlier, and I would probably give up something like Onuaku for the opportunity to sign Ibaka just a few months earlier.

They are not getting young guys and picks for Ibaka, no way, unless he is guaranteed to re-sign with the team he's being traded to.

OTOH we are going to have to pay someone to take Brewer. And they need a SF, because it's become pretty clear Aaron Gordon is a PF in today's NBA, and they don't have any SF's.

So maybe Brewer + Onuaku + Ennis + KJ + 2017 1st for Ibaka and Watson. And they would only do that on the last day of the deadline if Ibaka insists he will only agree to re-sign with Houston.

If I'm being honest though, in Ibaka I see a guy who is not in it to win it. I don't know why but I feel like he's kind of like Melo, in that he's more interested in fame and money. I would rather have Millsap if it costs us the same. Millsap's game will age well too.

MajorSeanBond and Vivi like this.
  19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He'd be a great fit for this team. He's not the defender he once was, but he'd still be by far our best big man defender lol. Plus he can hit the 3.

Don't think we have enough to entice Orlando though, damn..

20. MajorSeanBond

MajorSeanBond Member

There have been rumors for years that he lied about his age prior to making it to the NBA...not substantiated, but it's been said so many times, it's hard to ignore. Plus his defense has gotten worse in the last couple of seasons. Maybe that's just playing for a lame duck franchise, but maybe not.