1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun Injury Thread (UPDATE: Severely sprained ankle, bone bruise knee)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Mar 10, 2024.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Come off it, you're full of yourself....and so
    disingenuous...ah yes, the great pretender....

Own up to the fact that you said Alperen's absence wouldn't increase Jalen's trade value. You had no comprehension that the wide open/faster pace would be conducive to him thriving. I had this discussion with you, and now you have @JR loving your schtick. (why I don't know, as thought he and I had things right between us))

#661 Plowman, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Glad to see Alpi looking healthy.

Maybe there is some truth to him coming back for a few games? If he is healthy, why not?

DD

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why not?

C'mon DaDa...too much downside rsk, and for what?

HardenReturns likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He'll be out 4-6months.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Thicc, solid, tight.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  6. verysimplejason

Let him rest till he’s fully healed. Dont want a worse injury.

Patience, DJ, conquistador#11 and 2 others like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not much for dude to own up to. Jalen Green has been playing great since the all-star break, and we beat up on the Wizards twice.

Jalen Green certainly was wide open. :D

Funny time to spike the football, IMO.

The question we could be asking ourselves is how bonkers Alperen would have went without Jalen Green playing like the worst SG in league history earlier this season. My goodness.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this guy gets it.gif

Plowman likes this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

10. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

As long as there’s no risk of greater injury, I’m fine with letting him play. I wouldn’t push it too far. Not even for the play-in.
    how do you know what the downside risk? Are you his doctor? Are you in talks with the medical staff? You might have concerns, but you can’t state there are downside risks if you’re not up to speed on his actual medical condition. Not all injuries are the same. Not all players are the same in terms of body, conditioning and ability to heal. It’s one thing to be concerned abt his long term health. It’s another to, without evidence, declare that allowing him to play (if healthy) is a risk to his career.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

12. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

As many have pointed out before, Sengun's absence may be a minor factor in Jalen's recent performance. And it is really not that hard to see:

1) Jalen had already been playing well before Sengun's injury. His relatively bad games were Spurs and Kings where he had poor 3pt shooting. But he was already better with his drives, passing and defensive effort.

2) Jalen has been shooting better, particularly the 3pt. But why would we think it is because of Sengun's absence. Just watch all his 3pt attempts from the last 4 games and the games before. It is easy to see he gets better shot quality with sengun's gravity and screening. He is just hitting some of the shots he had been missing before.

3) Faster pace is simply not true, at least needs to be verified with more games. The starting 5 with sengun in has a pace of 100.16 with 745 minutes played. very established stat. In the last 4 games when Sengun was replaced with Amen(the most used lineup), the pace was 100.09 over 54 minutes. The second most used line up had 104.91 pace over 24 minutes, very small sample size. And these numbers are playing against the highest pace, tanking teams in the nba.
    For a head to head comparison, against the san antonio spurs(march 5) the lineups with Sengun had a pace of 100.68, vs the lineups with green (march 12) had a rating of 92.97.

https://www.nba.com/game/sas-vs-hou-0022300891/box-score?type=advanced
    https://www.nba.com/game/hou-vs-sas-0022300942/box-score?type=advanced

So faster pace is something you want to believe that is happening and that is the cause of green's improvement but there is not much evidence for that.

I think the effect of Sengun's absence is more mental (which i did not foresee) than actual basketball effect. Green is more confident and his shot has been falling.

13. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I think Jalen playing more minutes with Amen has helped.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  14. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Expanding on this, I think Amen gives a bunch of things that brooks does not. I would like to see a line up of

Sengun/Bari/Amen/FVV/Green

This 5 has only played 15 minutes over 4 games, with a whooping net rating of 58.2. if we could flip fvv for a small upgrade, this 5 is strong as hell.

@Plowman that might be an indirect way of sengun's absence contributed to green's performance.

cmoak1982 and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. conquistador#11

FVV's leadership can't be found that easily. He was a huge part of why Sengun was featured and now that he's is willing to run and not walk up the ball, I expect more easy baskets for everyone. Reducing his minutes to 30 a game not 90 per game is important for FVV's own health.

16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Cough Cough............who has been saying this all season ;)

conquistador#11 likes this.
  17. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

fvv is a great piece for this phase. I just think we need an upgrade for a deep playoff run. If he plays for less money as a back up/leader/mentor that would be great.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Only thing I will point out is that OKC didn't sign themselves a pair of veteran starters last season to help jump-start their roster, it was almost all internal development. In terms of our young core, I do think we are behind where they were last season. But that is mostly because SGA was already in the process of turning in a 31/6/5 type of season for them.

Strawberry Gum and HardenReturns like this.
  19. PeppermintCandy

That is a good point. Plus, OKC got a major boost this year by getting to add Holmgren to an already good mix.

The Rockets will be better next season for sure, but without a big player addition, maybe not as big of a jump as OKC made this year.

20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Looking good!