1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Senate votes to allow Internet providers share search histories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Try again.

They are monopolies in many many areas of the country, and that would be true in even more areas if regulations hadn't forced overbuilding (a requirement which the now Republican-controlled FCC wants to reduce; they want to give ISPs the freedom not to compete with each other, since they have no desire to do so). So indeed,"regulation" is the answer.

I also notice you aren't disputing that ISPs are essentially utilities at this point, which is what differentiates them from Google and Facebook.

I know tons of people in the US who don't use Facebook. I know zero who don't have internet.

2. Major

Major Member

If you give consent your data being shared by simply using the internet, then you gave consent the PATRIOT Act by living in the and being a citizen of a country that passed it.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Google shares your browsing history.

its not a violation of privacy.

false. the vast majority of the US has multiple choices in ISP.

Again . everything you are claiming above applies to any retail store. Many people only have one grocery store available to them. Should the grocery store be forced to ask permission to share data?

BTW, AT&T offers to not share your data for a fee if people really care. See that's how a free market works.

#23 tallanvor, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  4. cml750

cml750 Member

This doesn't bother me to be honest. This would more than likely make internet access cheaper and I could see some providers coming out and charging extra to not share the data. If they want to share with the world I spend a lot of time at Clutchfans, I could not care less. I do think there are much more pressing issues right now.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Any time a private company collects info on anyone, they should require a signature that explicitly states they will share the info and with whom.

That said, the article title is garbage. ISP's want the ability to share your browsing history, not search history. Most search engines use SSL, so the ISP wouldn't be able to see it (legally) in the first place.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's applicable here because they aren't subjected to the same restriction and guess what - none of them ask you to opt in and none of them allow you to completely opt out. ISP will now follow the same. $$$$

They shouldn't. They have faced pressure from EU and if not for Trump, probably here also. You can also get around them. The ISP always know who you are, but not Google, not Yahoo, not Facebook.

If A is not allowed but B is allowed to do something no one want, why do you not change B but A? You are making it worse, not better.

7. Drexlerfan22

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It is more about monitoring and control
    they don't mind giving various ISPs control as long as those ISPs give the government access
    This is not going to be a problem . .. until it is a problem for them

I'll bet money it will be damn near impossible to get the search histories of Government Officials and Uber Rich people

Rocket River

Deckard likes this.
  9. tallanvor

10. Drexlerfan22

That's okay, because I'm positive you don't know enough about the subject to understand the context, since it was very clearly a reaction to regulations Wheeler's FCC was putting in place to require opt-in consent in the near future. Now that Pai's FCC wants to do away with that "burden," I promise you AT&T will resume. And I'm sure that'll just be a giant coincidence, right?

After all, you did just post 8 seconds ago about how AT&T allows you to pay to opt-out, which is factually wrong, and your head is apparently so deep in the sand that you seem to actually believe government intervention isn't what's caused the little network overbuilding we've had in the past several years. Pass the pipe.

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. tallanvor

Lets see if we can get your story straight here. before The FCC regulates the ISPs and doesn't allow them to share data, AT&T offers customers an option to not have their data collected. Then the FCC regulates and so they remove that option because its not necessary. Now that regulation is being taken away and you think AT&T will do what? offer the option to opt out for a fee again?

Everything you are posting is just proving my point. If customers want privacy, the ISPs will offer it because there is no monopoly and they want to compete with their competitors.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Depends on how the data is being shared. If the data is simply tied to your device I don't think it's that big of a deal. If it's tied to a person and mixed with other information collected from other sources that does become a problem.

In the later scenario your browsing history could then be used against you in court for example.

13. Drexlerfan22

How about because they'll be subject to different, even more vague regulations than they were before, since ISPs' reclassification under Title II puts them under FCC regulations written for phone lines in 1996, instead of the FTC? And the rules that were re-written to actually make sense for ISPs-as-utility are what Republicans want to toss.

Oh right, I forgot, you didn't know any of that because you don't actually follow what's been happening with big telecom. Much more fun to spout vague incredulity based on headlines and soundbytes, I guess.

I suppose I should just stop. Not worth debating someone who knows nothing about a subject. And don't think you've distracted from the fact that you said people could pay to opt out, right now, which has not been the case since last year. Factually. Incorrect. That's you.

Deckard and NewRoxFan like this.
  14. tallanvor

how about what? what is this even suppose to be a response to? Jesus man, you are all over the place. Throw as much **** against the wall even though its not even a response to anything i just said......

You claim ISPs are a monopoly and clearly they (and you) have shown they aren't.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

huh? how is this any different since Al Gore invented the internet in 2000?

16. Drexlerfan22

Lololol! It is a response to what you said, you just don't know enough about it to know why, nor do you apparently care enough to go read up on the subject. And I'm tired of trying to give you a free education you don't want.

You've been very amusing. Have a good night.

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you the only one left who actually believes that Al Gore actually claimed that?

#37 FranchiseBlade, Mar 24, 2017
    CometsWin likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry it's too complex for you to understand.

Oh, and Gore didn't invent the internet in 2,000 - he was just the guy who spearheaded and successfully led making the military internet available for civilian use. If you don't think that was a big deal, then you are truly a blind partisan.

19. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What is your level of education? I ask because you frequently have an inability to conceive of issues beyond an incredibly myopic point of view.

You truly don't understand how publicly available internet histories would intrude on indivudual liberty? Really? REALLY?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. tallanvor

high enough that i know what the word 'liberty' means, unlike half the people on this thread.

Who is being forced to do anything here? You claim this violates liberty? whose? what force is being applied on whom? force is being removed. From the ISPs. if anything this is more liberty. And if you are confused enough to think sharing data on customers is a violation of peoples' liberty , then should this not apply to all companies who do this? Google, Facebook, your grocery store, everyone does this. You think all of them are violating your liberties?

BTW here is the definition of liberty for you:

the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views.

This action by the senate could not fit the description any better of increasing liberty. It is a removal of a restriction on behavior. Like I said on the first page, basic courses in understanding liberty need to be taught in school. It is incredibly lost on the younger generation these days.

#40 tallanvor, Mar 24, 2017