1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seeking Some Clarity on Today's Moves [POLL]

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by theimpossibles1, Aug 31, 2019.

?

Overall was today a good or bad day for the Franchise?

1. Good day

28 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Bad day

78 vote(s)
    60.9%
  3. Neutral day

22 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

People that liked these trades are the same people that live paycheck to paycheck and max out their credit cards. Overpaid for Duke Johnson, overpaid for Tunsil, and sold low on Clowney. This is not how you build a successful team.

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

The key to business success is buy low, sell high. There is your answer.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  3. showa13

showa13 Member

Came to post, I agree with a lot of this. I will preface this with I’m still not a BOB fan. I think overall he’s incompetent. The JD trade was unequivocally bad, like there’s no way to defend it. It was a Harden-esque level of bad trade with no hindsight needed. I personally wouldn’t sign JD to the money he’s asking for, but the fact that you didn’t get either a first or multiple high picks and/or high level players(OL specifically) for him is a complete failure.

The Tunsil trade is a high price to play, but you are doing so to protect the franchise QB and you’ve secured the blindside of Deshaun and the OL is clearly improved from last year. Stills is an underrated addition, and we are now even more rich with cap space(although it’s time to spend).

This was def a do or die day for BOB though. He either just hit a bloop home run or swung out spectacularly. Time will tell.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe OB is a secret genius and executed the Clowney trade to get everyone so down that they wouldn’t mind the massive overpay for Tunsil just because it’s better than the Clowney deal

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Or maybe hes in way over his head and doesn’t realize he’s taking on water

6. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

7. Since75

Since75 Member

Obrien trashed himself. Hes petty and his emotions are going to get him gone. This is a perfect example of why coaches shouldnt be GMs too. No way the team got better by trading its best young defender for trash. Couldve kept him for this year for win now mode and still traded for Tunsil. This is an attempt to cover the bs of a trade of Clowney. Tunsil was always available.

UTSA2step likes this.
  8. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

No excuses for Watson to not throw for 5000 yds... That's about it! 8-8

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

O’Brien: I want to implement the Patriot Way here in Houston

O’Brien: *holds onto asset for too long and get unspectacular assets back*
    *trades a 3rd rounder for a 3rd string RB. Trades two 1sts and a 2nd for a LT*

Something tells me that ole Billy don’t really know what the Patriot Way is.....

10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

We could have gotten a first rounder and more for Clowney before the draft. Carlos Hyde was about to be cut. We reached on a very raw tackle prospect with our first round pick. We traded away another offensive lineman who we drafted last year in the 3rd round. Miami was desperately trying to trade Stills, who had problems with ownership. Yes, we got a left tackle who we’ll have to pay in 2 years, but at the cost of two first rounders and a second rounder?

The Texans are now the worst run team in the nfl and I have lost complete faith in ownership and BOB. This is complete garbage. I’m ashamed to call myself a Texans fan...probably not for much longer.

dmoneybangbang and Gray_Jay like this.
  11. csj

csj Member

How do you know this? Why do you think this would have helped?

The trade clearly accommodated Clowney, just like those who justify Clowney's actions want. Those who support what Clowney has done support what has happened to the team wrt this trade. This is what happens when players dictate what happens to teams.

UTSA2step likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

They get credit for being ballsy and not sitting on the fence like they usually do. I wouldn’t say they mortgaged the future a little... they mortgaged it a lot. Basically they dealt Clowney for Duke Johnson (3rd rounder for 3rd rounder) and traded two #1’s and a #2 for a top 15 LT.

There is a good chance it blows up in their faces but it is ballsy for sure.

Hank McDowell and Gray_Jay like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

They basically traded Clowney for Duke Johnson....think about how baffling that is for a few minutes.

14. csj

csj Member

What a load of unadulterated bulls*t. I sincerely doubt you are capable of shame, at least not anonymously.

15. Nook

Nook Member

No this is what happens when you have poor management and planning at the top of your organization. The Texans knew what was coming. They could have dealt Clowney when they had the leverage... they made the poor decision not to... and the inevitable happened.

All of this traces back to decisions made by the Texans at the top. The necessity of the Tunsil trade, the low return on Clowney and the desperation to lose the draft picks they did.

My God, their poor preparation resulted in them trading a 26 year old pro bowler in Clowney for a reserve situational back in Duke Johnson. It is hard to screw up THAT bad but the Texans found a way.

16. Aruba77

I wish I could agree. We’ve now spent 3 first round picks and a 2nd round pick to get our left tackle. Our wasted 1st round pick this year and two more future 1sts. That sets any franchise back years. Its crazy to give up that much and lose your 2nd best defensive player for pennies on the dollar. We continue to squander 3rd round picks like Freeman and Rankin. This is evidence of poor decision-making. Today sucked and until we start properly valuing draft picks, we are never going to contend. Contending teams build through the draft and add in free agency. And very few championship caliber teams, not named the patriots have GM coaches. BOB does not deserve it, he hasn’t proven it, and this is what bad organizations do.

17. csj

csj Member

Today did not suck, today represented steps taken to overcome deficiencies and discard malcontents. Perhaps it could have been better but it was entirely in the direction the team needed to take.

The rest of this screed is predictable and not worth the time spent reading it.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Trading away two #1’s and a #2 is headed in the direction the team needed to take?

Things are not always clearly black and white.

Time will tell if over paying for Tunsil was worth it.

The deficiencies you speak of were the result of the failings of the same people running the Texans.

19. Aruba77

Get over your ridiculous homerism and realize #1 people are entitled to their own opinions and #2 this franchise is the laughing stock of the nfl; from the botched GM snag to terrible trades like this to decisions like signing Brock Osweiller and then paying a team high draft picks to take him off your payroll...when you didn’t even need to.

I’m sorry you give away your fandom and loyalty so cheaply. The City of Houston deserves better.

20. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

To pile on, if people think this offense is going to be mentioned in the same breath as the Chiefs', I have to ask: who's going to run the ball? Carlos Hyde? Really? Duke's a decent 3rd down back. Really productive in that role. In no way, shape, or form is he a 20 carry a game back.

About the line, I like the addition of Tunsil. Hate the price. But even if he came for free, he plays one O Line position. They need five. Or was their performance against Dallas going to be completely flipped around by playing Tunsil instead? I like the potential of Scharping, Howard, Fulton. But they're not really going to have the time to develop that potential this year, with that first half of the schedule. Without a meaningful running game, teams are going to sell out against the pass. Can this line, even with Tunsil, stop them? I doubt it.

Which is why I'm hopeful, but think that this offense being in the same tier as the Chiefs of the world is really, really optimistic.

Nook likes this.