1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis Resigns - Trump Went a Step Too Far

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Isis have 3 pockets in Syria, two of them are completely surrounded by Assad and its his forces and allies that have been fighting those ones, one quite deep into his territory, the 3rd one is on the edge, wedged between Iraq, the Kurds and Assad, but that's part of the Iraqi deployment (since its spillage from Iraq). The Syrian campaign for the US is in that north west quadrant, keeping it in a permanent state of war, and really has nothing to do with ISIS.

Trump wants nothing to do with that section, Mattis does as he has stated before. This is not about ISIS.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Note this is being reported by fox news, quoting senior defense department official... "As one senior US defense official put it to me, "no one will ever work or fight with us in the Middle East again." And, the decision was influenced by Turkey's Erdogan.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Trump is just so despicable. He betrayed the Kurds, Israel, Europe all at the same time.

CometsWin and Hakeemtheking like this.
  4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It's been pretty obvious all along that our mistake-in-chief shrinks like a little p***y and gives in to the demands of men who are actually men and not perpetual toddlers.

5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

You can’t betray your allies like that, the way he handles foreign policy is similar to how he handles his personal life. This makes me sad, the Kurds will get slaughtered.

I just can’t wrap my head around how morons in this country continue to support him. Kelly, Rex, and now Mattis are all gone and only Kelly is holding his tongue for how much of an idiot trump is.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's an entirely different topic, Air Langhi, one you'd likely find me agreeing with much of what you're thinking. I was against the 2nd Gulf War and said so here before it began. I said that wars have unintended consequences, several times. It's an old saw, but very true. Once a war has begun, it's difficult to say what will happen, especially in the long run.

A fairly recent example? The Falklands War in 1982. The Argentine Junta were experiencing massive protests from the citizens of that country. They were deeply unpopular, with a popular revolt or a coup from within the military threatening their rule. So what did they do? What dictators and strongmen have frequently done throughout history in hopes of getting popular opinion behind them in order to save their grip on power. What I fear trump might do in a mad attempt to "save himself." They started a war, one that was completely unnecessary. The unintended consequences were a disaster for them. I'm "spoiling" a paragraph below that describes how we heard about that war. I've mentioned some of this in the past. It's one of the reasons I'm so worried about Secretary Mattis resigning.

Forgive me for including more detail than you need, but here goes. We experienced that war as tourists in Europe at the time, in the middle of a 4 month trip. I was lying on the beach next to my topless significant other on Ios, in the Greek Islands, when we first heard about it. A Brit walked up to a small group of them busy doing what we were doing. Watching a stunning blonde while pretending not to, the girl topless herself (real and spectacular!), giving wind surfing lessons to clueless tourists, most of them guys, who kept looking at her and falling over. Again and again. It's probably why it seems like yesterday to me, being a vivid memory (this was at the beginning of April, 1982). The group of guys burst into conversation, got up, and headed for a restaurant/bar in the village. We followed not long after, being curious about the war and their reaction. The show on the beach was a daily occurrence and we had already been on the island a week, so it wasn't keeping us there. Most of them booked a passage to Athens that day and headed back to the UK because, as one said, "We might be needed."

The result? Disaster for Argentina and the Junta, which collapsed after their defeat by the British. Unintended consequences. When George Bush "trumped up" his reasons for Gulf War II, I thought about that conflict, how it turned out for Argentina's junta, overthrown in massive demonstrations after the defeat, similar to the demonstrations that spurred the junta in the first place into creating an unneeded war in an effort to retain power. Bush started his own unneeded war, not in an effort to "retain power," but rather, from what I heard, because he held a grudge against Saddam for reportedly ordering a hit job on his father after the first war. Others claim it was to gain control of Iraq's oil and gas reserves, supposedly urged by VP Cheney, another possibility. I don't blame Bush for being pissed off with Saddam, who, for all his many terrible actions within and without his country, was a lynchpin keeping that region from spinning off into chaos. I do blame Bush for beginning it in the first place. It was likely for personal reasons and what I fear trump will do for his own personal reasons. We have never recovered from that conflict, and neither has the region, in my opinion.

RayRay10 and arkoe like this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does anybody really believe Trump gave two seconds of consideration for a bunch of Muslims who happen to be allies?

Everybody not named Trump is for sale when convenient. "The Art of The Deal", indeed. He's not going to lose even one second of sleep over this betrayal.

#47 Ottomaton, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

"As one senior US defense official put it to me, "no one will ever work or fight with us in the Middle East again."

That may not be a bad thing. We really don't need to be there and never should have gone there.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That's a very naive stance. You are there and will be there.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Rare time I will agree with ATW. Isolationism in a world where messages and news are sent across the globe in a span of miliseconds are in no way feasible. The U.S must have a ME presence, especially post Iraq given how the region has destabilized since then.

biff17, mdrowe00 and RayRay10 like this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if he was being dishonest, or just honestly doesn't know what happened.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think too many people were upset that Mattis took the position. He received praise from both Democrats and Republicans and has had support from both throughout his tenure.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  13. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

This is an area that Trump is at odds with many Republicans and Evangelicals.

They don't mind spilling US blood to back Israel and deal in these foreign wars and affairs.
    He has traditionally been an America First even in regards to war and international policy.

You've shown a propensity for an anti-muslim/arab states and very pro-Israel bend.

I think we as a global business economy should stay out of military affairs that don't benefit
    our long-term commercial standings in these countries.

I don't know the details but I do know Military have spent their whole lives learning and knowing
    war. Its what they know and to the man with the hammer, everything looks like a nail.

These generals and such will never reduce troop presences around the world, they'll never reduce
    the size of our military or its standings and will believe that they are the most important piece of world
    stability.

I think they are wrong. Military might is about money. Money is about commerce and the history
    and success of the US is based on its history of entrepreneurs and business and the lack of guilds
    and government telling people what they can't and can do. That combination mixed with
    more aggressive by self selection immigrants has built a nation that controls much of the world's
    commerce.

So people elected Trump because he was against war and troops around the world for the sake of it.

Not to surprising the military wanted to keep thousands of troops places and Trump was against this.
    If we remember 9/11 was a result (by OBL's own admission) of having US troops in Saudi Arabia in their
    holy land.

Let's stay out of foreign entanglements and just make sure after a hard day of fighting in the middle east,
    they ride home in a Ford Truck, drinking a Coca Cola with an Iphone and while wearing Polo Jeans
    and Nike shoes.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except those things are all made in foreign countries by people who will soon be too busy chanting "Death to America" to go to work.

Deckard and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He went too far, no Marine could accept it

[​IMG]

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There's a very good chance Mattis resigned over Syria, not just because he disagrees with the end of the military engagement, but because of the reason

The reason seems to be: The President of the United States, Donald J. Trump is being personally blackmailed by Turkey and Russia over Khasoggi, Flynn, and his personal financial affairs, as well as his crimes durin the campaign.

This, yet again, is immediate grounds for impeachment. The President swore an oath to provide for the common defense and he is, yet again, failing to do so, putting his personal & financial interests first, causing the Secretary of Defense to resign in disgust.

Again, the question for Democrats in February is not whether or not impeachemnt is the right political move in teh short-term calculus of beltway **** talkers and sunday talk shows, but whether or not tehre is a moral and ethical duty to impeach.

It really looks like there is.

AroundTheWorld and CometsWin like this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, wow Sam has lost it.

18. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Hahahahahaha. Dude Trump owns your brain.

"Never hate your enemy, it clouds your judgement" Michael Corleone!

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's possible to be a less-active player in the Mideast and not totally shred your reputation.

Does this even need to be explained?

AroundTheWorld and mdrowe00 like this.
  20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/12/kurdish-led-forces-isil-prisoners-181221124343666.html

SDF discusses plan to release 3,200 local and foreign ISIL fighters after US decided to pull out its troops from Syria.

Kurdish-led forces in Syria may not be able to hold prisoners from the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) if the situation in the region gets out of control, a senior Syrian-Kurdish official has said.

Ilham Ahmed of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) warned that the Trump administration's decision to withdraw all of its forces would have dangerous repercussions and a destabilising effect on the entire region.

"Under the threat of the Turkish state, and with the possibility of Daesh (ISIL) reviving once again, I fear the situation will go out of control and we no longer be able to contain them," Ahmed said at a news conference in Paris on Friday when asked if the SDF was considering releasing hundreds of ISIL detainees.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/world/middleeast/isis-syria-prisoner-release-trump.html

A report by the Syrian Observatory said the S.D.F. leadership was discussing the prisoners’ release because the home countries of many of them had refused to take them back. The observatory, a London-based group with a network of citizen monitors throughout Syria whose work is widely considered credible, said the prisoners come from 31 countries in addition to Syria, and their family members from 41 countries.

The S.D.F. was also concerned that it would need all of its fighters to defend against a possible Turkish military invasion, the report said — a prospect made more likely by a United States withdrawal.

The Syrian Democratic Forces are predominantly made up of Kurdish fighters from the Y.P.G., the People’s Protection Units, but under American tutelage the group has signed up many Arab fighters opposed to the Islamic State; Arabs now make up about 40 percent of the force, which has up to 75,000 fighters. The group has been trained, advised, financed and supplied by the United States, which has 2,000 troops, mostly Special Operations forces, in Syria allied with the S.D.F.

With American support, especially from airstrikes, since 2016 the Kurds have pushed the Islamic State out of most of the territory it held in eastern and northern Syria, reducing the extremists to a pocket of about 20 square miles on the Iraqi border, near the town of Hajin, far from any cities. Fighting continues in that area, although the S.D.F. claimed last week to have ousted the Islamic State from Hajin.

Turkey has vowed to attack the S.D.F. because it considers the Y.P.G. as a front for the outlawed Peoples Workers Party, or P.K.K., in Turkey, and last week it said a cross-border invasion to attack the Kurds was only days away.