1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis Resigns - Trump Went a Step Too Far

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Deckard, Dec 20, 2018.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

I don't disagree but that does nothing to solve the issues we currently have.

2. biff17

biff17 Member

if you don't know is why troops are there do you know, why should anybody give credence to your solutions?

There is a route to victory and it's combating the rise of Isis which causes problems to the U.S. As well as Globally.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You know what was the biggest reason for ISIS. 400000 ex iraqi soldiers with no jobs. I think if we took some of that 700 billion dollar war budget and just paid off ISIS soldiers to do some random job I think we would be better off. I mean lets pay them a yearly wage of 8k (average salary in IRAQ is 4k) to dig ditches. That is only 3.2B. Much cheaper than what we are spending now.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well Trump is really helping Russia gain control in the world - you have to hand it to him on that.

It's amazing to see the GOP allow this to happen. Who would have thought that Clinton turned out to be a far more traditional Republican than Trump

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mulvaney is the James Harden of the Trump administration. He has to do everything because the rest of the team is nothing but Tillman's minimum wage scrubs.

arkoe, joshuaao, adoo and 2 others like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Apparently pulling a lot of troops out of Afghanistan too. I support this. Thanks Trump. Broken clock is right twice a day I suppose.

ipaman likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump will go down as the worst president in history. Not just US history, but world history.

Being an idiot should be an impeachable offense

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Pretty hard to beat Hitler for the top spot.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Now that he is against Trump, all the people who groaned about him taking his position will be his best friend.

11. biff17

biff17 Member

You have no clue about what Isis is all about.

And even so what are going to do about His now please stop about what should have happened, I agree we should be at have been there and we should have done things better after the fact.

but none of that will stop Isis from trying to create a calculate and further destabilizing the middle East.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So what is ISIS about? Please explain that to me? Maybe you don't know what ISIS is about or Middle Eastern history of the last 2000 years.

Without the US I think Russia/Iran/Assad will crush ISIS. They probably don't care as much about civilian casualties so I think they will crack down on them hard.

It sucks for the Kurds.

13. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

Afghanistan is next. Get our troops back home.

14. Buck Turgidson

How many should be left there? Or Turkey? Or Iraq? Or Saudi? Or the rest of the Gulf? What about Asia? Europe?

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I've been staying out of the hangout forum.

However, I said several times in other threads that I held my nose and voted for Trump, and the best decision Trump made was to appoint Mattis. I also said if Trump ever fired him or in this case pushed Mattis out with his nonsense I would be done with Trump.

I'm beyond done with Trump

Hurry up Mueller.

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Assad isn't dead, and Iraq became what it did because Saddam was. Which is precisely why the elder Bush didn't depose Saddam.

17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

BS flag thrown. Mattis is one of the few people respected in trump's admin (along with Haley, to a lesser degree, Tillerson and Kelly). Often referred to as "the adults in the room", Mattis is known to have been among those that had an agreement that one would always be present to prevent trump doing something completely insane. Now, all have escaped the ss trumptanic, and no one is left to protect the United States.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Why stop there? Why not Okanawa next? Then Germany? Then South Korea? Just shut it all down amiright?!?

Look I’m as anti war hippy lib as they come. But I’m not dumb enough to not understand why it’s important for US troops in our capacity to hold influence in strategic regions of the globe. Ensure stable governments can succeed. Keep peace and keep terrorize orgs from taking terroritory.

Pulling out of Syria in the capacity we are doing so in is the worst military decision I’ve seen a president make. There’s a big difference in Obama’s perilous decision to send in Troops for the sole purpose of taking out Assad, and having a presence there to help the Kurds fight ISIS in the northern region.

The US pulling out means three things-

- the Kurds will likely get wiped out now by Turkish forces (thanks for your help with ISIS)
    - Assad will welcome terrorist groups back in some of the rural regions as political foil for him to remain in power. He needs them like Trump needs illegal immigrants. Not for the people living in those areas but the people living in Damascus who keep him in power just like how the Wall is for the voters in Iowa and Michigan more than it is the people of Texas.
    -Russia will have a fast pass to holding a lasting Middle East strong hold not for the right reasons in helping spread stable democracies but for oil and power.

We used to be so pre-occupied as a country post WW2 with the spread of communism. Russia spreading its brand of authoritarian nationalism is just as bad IMO. The same people who cry about the dangers of Antifa influencing towards communism are the same people okay with Russian Nationalism influence globally which is astounding but certainly provides a clear view inside the wordview of a modern day Trump Republican who clearly is a Russian Nationalism supporter and heavily anti Democratic.

19. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Mattis was the best decision that Trump made in his presidency. Sad to see him go, but I figured it would happen eventually.

As far as the “bring the troops home” ideology, its a good thought, but realize the world becomes much more volatile when we do that. Hope you are ready to accept the consequences; Just remember, freedom isn’t free.

amaru likes this.
  20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Well, from a military stand point it is a huge problem to pull out of that area. You can be assured that Trump will continue to act on intelligence against high level targets. That means our special forces will be taking bigger risks. They may not have a QRF force close by, they will be on longer helicopter rides or riskier means of incursion, and if they get into a major fire fight the odds of them being overrun like the Green Berets in Africa are much greater.

So if we are getting out... it better be all the way out and the special forces mission tempo better slow to a crawl in that area.

RayRay10 likes this.