1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seattle Considers Banning Lap Dances

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051002/ap_on_re_us/banning_lap_dances

SEATTLE - Strippers who venture too near the laps of their dollar-bill-waving patrons have exposed an unexpected prudish streak in this West Coast bastion of tolerance and liberalism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Fearing a spate of new cabarets after a federal judge struck down the city's 17-year moratorium on new strip clubs, the City Council is planning to vote Monday on some of the strictest adult-entertainment regulations of any big city in the country.

No lap dances. No placing dollar bills in a dancer's G-string. And the clubs must have what one council member likens to "Fred Meyer" lighting, a reference to the department store chain.

"It's wiping out an entire industry in Seattle," said Gilbert Levy, a lawyer for Rick's gentleman's club.

Seattle's queasiness over naked dancing contradicts its usual freewill attitude, dating back to the city's thriving business separating prospectors from their gold at brothels and saloons. Anti-war demonstrations are routine here, a gay population has thrived for nearly a century, and residents voted two years ago to make enforcing mar1juana laws the police department's lowest priority.

"Seattle had always had that reputation for being a wide-open town, so it's an almost-normal kind of Seattle controversy — what is sin?" said local historian David Wilma.

After the number of strip clubs jumped from two to seven between 1986 and 1988, the city imposed a 180-day moratorium on new cabarets while it studied the issue. Over the next two decades, the City Council repeatedly extended the moratorium, in part to avoid the politically sensitive issue of where the new strip clubs would be allowed.

The number of strip clubs in the city fell to four. By contrast, Atlanta has roughly three dozen.

But last month, U.S. District Judge James Robart ruled the moratorium was an unconstitutional restraint on free speech. The city could wind up paying the plaintiff, a man who wants to open a club downtown, millions of dollars in damages.

In anticipation of the ruling, Democratic Mayor Greg Nickels came up with rules to discourage new strip clubs and make it easier to police existing ones.

Under these rules, dancers would have to stay 4 feet away from customers, private rooms would be barred, customers couldn't give money directly to entertainers, and the minimum lighting would be increased — think parking-garage brightness.

Technically, the city already bans "touching" between a dancer and customer, but officials dispute whether that means sexual touching or all touching. At any rate, they say it's impossible to enforce and completely ignored.

"How do you know there's no touching unless you're one of the participants?" said Mel McDonald, the city official charged with strip club regulation. "It's dark in there. You don't know whether they're half-an-inch away or not. With the 4-foot rule, it's a lot less subjective. Our vice people can enforce it without buying a dance."

City Council meetings on the rules have drawn protests from more than 100 of the city's 554 licensed dancers, many toting young children.

But the general public doesn't seem terribly interested, said Paul Elliott, aide to council member Richard McIver.

"We get more e-mails about putting synthetic turf on the Lowell Heights playfield," Elliot said.

___

Rocket River

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Strippers should be forced to take STD tests every six months or so. I've seen too many co-workers showing up with their cold sore stories...

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Herpes Simplex aka cold sores isn't a sexually transmitted disease... so what would an STD test do to prevent them? Now if they are getting Herpes Simplex II I don't exactly see how that is the stripper's fault, I mean they're the ones putting their you know what's on a skanky stripper's you know what's.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought I read somewhere that Seattle has the highest Suicide Rate in America

I doubt this helps

Like Prostituion . . i think this should be legal

Consenting Adults blah blah blah

Rocket River
    besides as per normal . .if it is legal . . u can regulate it

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Banning lap dances? Someone is going to win an election in opposition of this.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It is all that coffee that they drink.

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Maybe Kurt Cobain will write a song about this....

Oh wait. He killed himself.

Nevermind....

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

:D

And he wouldn't apologize for it....

9. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

It's never seeing the sun.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

All these poor college co-ed's who are working their way through school can't pay their bills if they can't perform...

[​IMG]

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Ban them.

I have a theory. In the Northern Hemisphere, hotness decreases as you move away from the equator, thus Seattle strippers must be fugly.

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

No 2 and 3 are suspects of fake boobs.

13. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

You, sir, have obviously never been to Ontario...

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree, but does it matter... :eek:

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, if you really think about it, granted, I know its a titty bar, but this is just wrong to create laws to ban a certain type of business...We're not talking about brothels, just a bar with scantilly clad women...

I remember in Calgary, they had a woman in the center of a stage and they guys threw coins at the women as you couldn't be near them...In California, I believe, there is a 3 ft. rule...For men its typically visual and this law will get passed regardless, but business will suffer, IMO...You just can't beat Houston bars...

15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Note to self: Don't go to Seattle.

16. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Didn't they try this in Houston, or as I like to call it; Nazi Germany!