1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Scotto] Media poll: Ranking NBA arenas from best to worst

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Nov 17, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Top 3
    TD Garden
    Crypto Arena in LA
    Madison Square Garden

Bottom 3
    Spectrum Center (Hornets)
    Wizards: Capital One Arena
    Rockets: Toyota Center

Rockets: Toyota Center

[​IMG]

Share of the vote: 2.67 percent of maximum amount possible

Opening: 2003

Capacity: 18,055

Who plays there: Houston Rockets

Only five media members voted for Houston’s Toyota Center, which was the lowest total of the poll.

https://hoopshype.com/lists/media-poll-ranking-nba-arenas-from-best-to-worst/

#1 daywalker02, Nov 17, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

TC is old and outdated…empty seats everywhere in the lower bowl, and the crowd noise is extremely lame

IvanLCPM, Entropy, apollo33 and 7 others like this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I hope Tilman does a major remodel next offseason. The location is great for TC, the building just needs some work inside and out.

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

They should do another poll on practice facilities. I'm sure we'd do better there.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honestly the location for TC is not great. Houstonions don't like driving downtown. What's bumping in Houston is away from downtown. They should build an arena around the galleria/uptown area.

Entropy and StroudAndYorDaddy like this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Put the arena in Katy, next to a Target and Chili's. Bet the crowds will be bigger and fan experience will be better.

7. fchowd0311

The sad thing is you probably need an arena that has strip mall style parking like Reliant Stadium in a city like Houston. If something isn't easily accessible by car, it's not a destination many Houstonions consider.

8. Jontro

Jontro Member

the red color just doesn't work. can't they switch to a tesla arena?

Dredd and daywalker02 like this.
  9. vince

vince Member

I hope they don’t start trying to build another arena… geesh

Toyota center may need some cosmetic work, but it’s a decent place. I think the crowd has been a non factor because the team was a disaster for the last 3 years.

TheJet, justinh, RKREBORN and 2 others like this.
  10. fchowd0311

The problem is the crowd has been bad even during times when this team was contending.

Entropy, vince and JusBleezy like this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Have to disagree. Downtown is the hub for all the light rail lines and a large majority of bus lines. A lot of residential condos and apartments are getting built there. It's where Minute Maid Park, the Theater District, the Convention Center, and a number of important event venues are located, so it's already the closest thing Houston has to a central culture & entertainment district. It will continue to get more densely-populated and will add more nightlife and restaurants, the pandemic-induced depopulation is a temporary problem.

The Galleria area is very poorly-designed. Completely car-dependent and it will probably always be that way for the most part. Moving the arena there would be a step backward and would not be a good long-term decision.

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The issue has always been the Frost East & West Clubs, along with more recently Golden Nugget and Sire Clubs.

The Frost E&W and Golden Nugget are all lower bowl and I swear I've seen more people hanging out in the club areas than in their seats for 75% of the game. The Golden Nugget is where you can stand and high five players entering the arena, problem all the fans are under the seats so you can't see them. The Frost seats are high priced, corp season tix sales areas, and unfortunately the most visible on broadcast.

Easy fix, move all Frost Club seating to one side of arena, remodel the opposite lower bowl to cut seats in half and add "club amenities" style box seating to the upper portion. The halved lower portion(facing cameras) leave for everyday fans, seat upgrade competitions, same day sells, etc... Will give the appearance of a vibe and generate more excitement for folks to attend games.

50 cents Sire is club level so it doesn't have as much of an impact on lower bowl fan atmosphere.

Source: I've attend hundreds of games and sat in all of these areas. Trust me when I say games are way more fun then they appear on the broadcast.

SWTsig and vince like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Doesn't seem to be an issue for Astros fans.

Scarface281, TheJet, Nook and 9 others like this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tilman isnt forking over more cash to rebuild it somewhere else. I'm just happy our team is trending up, crowds in theory should come if we are winning once more.

15. Dredd

Dredd Member

A rename would make people think it’s a new stadium. Paint it all black outside. Looking like Edwards Scissorhands home.

Golden Nugget Arena
    Landry’s Center
    Saltgrass Garden
    Bubba Gump Forum

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wish we could have something nice like the Alamodome.

Nook likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Home of the Alpe.

Dunktronaut Dome.

Dream Shake Center.

Dredd likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Astrodome's available

Tfor3, Astrodome and vince like this.
  19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

If Tilly forks over the money for building/remodeling or whatever it's going to be called that would be icing on the cake! I'm giddy over my Rockets at the moment..... JUST DON'T RAISE MY TAXES TO DO IT!!!

Go Rockets!!!

DeBeards likes this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

IIRC, your taxes were never raised to fund any of the stadiums or the upkeep on them

Not sure what the deal is b/w the Rockets and the Sports Stadium Authority (whatever it's called). I'm pretty sure the Astros are responsible for any remodels and cosmetic changes they've made to MMP.

@MadMax assuredly knows more about this than I do

#20 Buck Turgidson, Nov 17, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2023