1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Scoreboard]ATW PWND in his own kitchen.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Landlord Landry, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Landlord Landry

sorry dude. no moar yodelz for you.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/141152

Austria: Judge Rules That Yodeling Offends Muslims

by Elad Benari

It seems as though in Austria, the popular yodel is an insult to Muslims.

An Austrian court has recently fined a citizen for yodeling while mowing his lawn, according to a report in The Kronen Zeitung newspaper.

The citizen, 63-year-old Helmut G., was told by the court that his yodeling offended his next-door Muslim neighbors, who accused him of trying to mock and imitate the call of the Muezzin.

In Muslim tradition, the Muezzin is the chosen person at a mosque who leads the call to prayer at Friday services and the five daily times for prayer from one of the mosque's minarets.

The yodel is a song which is sung with an extended note which rapidly and repeatedly changes in pitch and makes a high-low-high-low sound. Developed in the Central Alps as a method of communication between alpine mountaineers or between alpine villages, the yodel later became part of the region's traditional lore and musical expression. The technique is used in many cultures throughout the world and Austria is one of the countries where it is most popular.

Unfortunately for Helmut G., his neighbors were in the middle of a prayer when he started to yodel. The Kronen Zeitung reported that he was fined 800 Euros after judges ruled that he could have tried to offend his neighbors and ridicule their belief.

Helmut G. clarified that “It was not my intention to imitate or insult them. I simply started to yodel a few tunes because I was in such a good mood.”

2. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

kind of a weird decision... dude was in his yard. Now, maybe if he was violating a noise ordinance at night with it or something.

I guess this part gets me

Fine 800EU after they ruled he COULD have tried to offend?

Maybe there's more to it, but that sounds lame.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This sounds bizarre. What an incredibly stupid ruling.

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What a dumb ass judge. lol.

5. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

that's so dumb

6. Landlord Landry

Idk about Austria, but Germany has some crazy noise ordinance laws. Especially on weekends.

I know some parts of Hannover, it's illegal to mow your lawn on Sunday. At least it was a few years ago.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Austria and Germany will probably always be a little neurotic about offending other cultures, which is ludicrous and inaccurate in this instance but understandable in the long-term.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Best thread title ever, LOL :grin:.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah that's true, but that's because we have less Mexicans in Hannover to get that done (since this is already an offensive thread anyway :p ).

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Since I think you are being racist, allow me to unveil my own racism! Yaay! It's ok because you did it!!

1 person likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Shut up idiot. I am not racist...you must have never been to Houston. I also do not think Landlord Landry is being racist. Just STFU and GTFO you nerd.

12. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Wait...so is my Jimmy Rogers Blue Yodel #9 ringtone going to offend my Arab neighbors?

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Oh I completely understand the joke you were trying to make.

14. trustme

trustme Member

Ridiculous. A simple apology should have sufficed.

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Who should have apologized? The muslim neighbors for their frivolous lawsuit, I suppose?

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

It would be nice to see the original confrontation on Youtube or something. Alas.

17. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This seems like an asinine ruling but I suspect that this guy and his Muslim neighbor might've had problems before and this might just be part of a neighborly feud.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bDDEk2AMJAI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bDDEk2AMJAI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

20. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I would guess there is more backstory to this than we are being presented.

Otherwise, this is an absurd ruling.